Roope Hintz or Robert Thomas

Hintz or Thomas

• Roope Hintz

• Robert Thomas

• Even

Results are only viewable after voting.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hmmm...i like Hintz and i want to pick him, but i can't really come up with a single compelling reason to do so. Like, my heart says Hintz, but my head says Thomas.

Especially since i think Thomas is more capable of driving a line offensively all by his lonesome. Hintz is great, but he's a little bit more "complementary" and "opportunistic". Relatively speaking. He's just got that crazy symbiotic thing going with Robertson.

They're both fast, and very strong defensively.

Thomas is a few years younger.

RH Center is a super minor, but small edge for Thomas as well, all else being equal.

Hintz is a bit bigger, but i don't think it makes any real functional difference in the way they play. Neither guy is at a real appreciable deficit there in terms of size/strength/physicality relative to one another.

Hintz is probably the slightly better pure goal-scorer? But it's not an enormous gulf and that's pretty much the only reason i'm drumming up to take him over Thomas. That's not enough.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hintz, he’s carried his team to the final 4 and is more proven in the playoffs. The man is clutch.

Crow

May 19, 2014
When I watch them both I think Thomas is the better player even if it pains me more to say it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think they’re similar level players. Thomas I think is a bit more noticeable offensively shift to shift, whereas Hintz is a bit more complementary or opportunistic, but I think Hintz is a bit better defensively and brings more toolsy attributes like speed and shot. With Thomas though, you’re getting more prime years and he might be the better option when starting a team from scratch.

I’d probably take Hintz on the Canucks though. The team isn’t very fast and they could use a burner like Hintz to add another dimension. He’s also a better shooter and finisher. Thomas is more pass heavy, and the Canucks already pass too much. Thomas would probably work better if he ran his own line and the team put Miller and Pettersson together consistently, but I could see Hintz being a better fit with Pettersson.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think they’re similar level players. Thomas I think is a bit more noticeable offensively shift to shift, whereas Hintz is a bit more complementary or opportunistic, but I think Hintz is a bit better defensively and brings more toolsy attributes like speed and shot. With Thomas though, you’re getting more prime years and he might be the better option when starting a team from scratch.

I’d probably take Hintz on the Canucks though. The team isn’t very fast and they could use a burner like Hintz to add another dimension. He’s also a better shooter and finisher. Thomas is more pass heavy, and the Canucks already pass too much. Thomas would probably work better if he ran his own line and the team put Miller and Pettersson together consistently, but I could see Hintz being a better fit with Pettersson.

I would certainly not call Robert Thomas slow though...

Though from a Canucks perspective, i could definitely see Hintz meshing better with Pettersson, which might be a tipping point factor. But it's hard to predict what will work there.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would certainly not call Robert Thomas slow though...

Though from a Canucks perspective, i could definitely see Hintz meshing better with Pettersson, which might be a tipping point factor. But it's hard to predict what will work there.

I wouldn’t call him fast by any means either. He’s pretty average speed from my viewings, and his EDGE data from the NHL puts him right in the 50th-ish percentile. Whereas Hintz is a top 5% type skater for speed.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn’t call him fast by any means either. He’s pretty average speed from my viewings, and his EDGE data from the NHL puts him right in the 50th-ish percentile. Whereas Hintz is a top 5% type skater for speed.

That's kind of weird. I'd put him well above the middling tier of NHLers in terms of speed. When he wants to, he can really giddyup and go. I'd say speed is definitely a noticeable part of his game, including his work off the rush.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's kind of weird. I'd put him well above the middling tier of NHLers in terms of speed. When he wants to, he can really giddyup and go. I'd say speed is definitely a noticeable part of his game, including his work off the rush.

Interesting. I’ve never watched Thomas and thought he was particularly fast. Like he’s fast enough but nothing that jumps out. Whereas I think it’s something that does stand out with Hintz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad