Speculation: Romanov's next contract

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Thinking his agent will want 2-3 years, bridge style of a deal, until he gets a true chance at some PP time.
He has nice stats on the hit line but that's it for now.
2 yrs at 3M each season.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don’t think value of romanov in term of money will be that high at his ufa rights. I doubt he gonna be really an offensive dman. He is more likely a 3/4th dman. Signing him around 5 millions x 8 im really against. He deserves around 3.8 x 8, would be perfect. He gget a security

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I don’t think value of romanov in term of money will be that high at his ufa rights. I doubt he gonna be really an offensive dman. He is more likely a 3/4th dman. Signing him around 5 millions x 8 im really against. He deserves around 3.8 x 8, would be perfect. He gget a security
I doubt he'd sign 3.8x8 now, as if we think he is worth around 3 for the bridge, it's not enough to buy the UFA years.

The deal Gallagher had was nice but that kind of deal is more realistic for a later rounds pick IMO. I agree with the rest of your comment though, I don't think he'll be that expansive for his UFA years, so a bridge wouldn't be such a risk if he really likes it here

Reactions: Hins77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's for sure getting better and better.

I look forward to seeing his peak, which may not be until his mid to late 20's.

Heck it took Petry until his mid 30's to hit his peak.
If he isn't hitting his peak for a while, no real risk to bridge him.

Once again, Romanov projects to a 3D or 4D on a contender. We need to have room for at least 2, maybe 3 D with more cap hit than him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If he isn't hitting his peak for a while, no real risk to bridge him.

Once again, Romanov projects to a 3D or 4D on a contender. We need to have room for at least 2, maybe 3 D with more cap hit than him.
I don't have a projection for him. You can be a top pair d without a ton of offense.

He's getting more and more comfortable. We'll see what he becomes. The hits are nice. But it's steady play with an without the puck - making good decisions with the puck, good reads, always in position, speed to get up and down the ice, etc.., etc.. that make a modern dman. We'll see how good he becomes at those aspects of the game. Same with Barron and Guhle.

Neither of the 3 will likely be number 1 dmen, with the offense. But good solid dmen is a possibility. Gotta hope Mailloux, Norlinder, or another guy we draft can be a pp qb.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I doubt he'd sign 3.8x8 now, as if we think he is worth around 3 for the bridge, it's not enough to buy the UFA years.

The deal Gallagher had was nice but that kind of deal is more realistic for a later rounds pick IMO. I agree with the rest of your comment though, I don't think he'll be that expansive for his UFA years, so a bridge wouldn't be such a risk if he really likes it here
If he gets expansive, that will surely limit his quickness and value. So I hope not.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't have a projection for him. You can be a top pair d without a ton of offense.

He's getting more and more comfortable. We'll see what he becomes. The hits are nice. But it's steady play with an without the puck - making good decisions with the puck, good reads, always in position, speed to get up and down the ice, etc.., etc.. that make a modern dman. We'll see how good he becomes at those aspects of the game. Same with Barron and Guhle.

Neither of the 3 will likely be number 1 dmen, with the offense. But good solid dmen is a possibility. Gotta hope Mailloux, Norlinder, or another guy we draft can be a pp qb.
OK, but whatever we project, it is probably not as good as Sergachev, who has a better shot.

Sergachev has two guys ahead of him on TB's depth chart, after five years in the league. Romanov will have 2 or 3 ahead of him if things go well.

Cap hit has to be managed long-term.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
OK, but whatever we project, it is probably not as good as Sergachev, who has a better shot.

Sergachev has two guys ahead of him on TB's depth chart, after five years in the league. Romanov will have 2 or 3 ahead of him if things go well.

Cap hit has to be managed long-term.

I was actually going to do a poll of who projects better Sergachev or Romanov.

I would vote Sergachev because of the offensive upside. But Romanov could pass him as the best overall dman.

Tampa have two guys ahead of him, but have probably the best dman in the game (though makar is making his push).

But absolutely we need to manage the cap. Either bridge Romanov or sign him long term to a moderate cap hit.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd sign him 8yrs x 32M$

In my eyes, he's proven......get him long term, he's a keeper

Agreed. If we can get him for $4M AAV long term, we should do it. Depends on what Romanov/Agent are thinking in terms of where he is at in a few years.

However, I think we bridge him. The Agent will look at the higher salary cap to come and say in 4 years, $4M will be low salary for a top 4D so they will push for $4.5M or higher IMO.

Personally, I don't see bridge risks cause he's not the type to rack up points. He's 22 today and I would go with 2 year bridge. Keep the AAV low and let him stay hungry. He will be 24 when he exists that bridge and likely will not have any 30+ pts seasons. At that point, we will know who he really is and then consider the 8 year term taking him to 31.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd go 8 year $4+M or 3 year $8M range.

You're close to what I am thinking. Personally, I'd offer two package offers.

1) $4M for 8 years. Might go as high as $4.25M. $4.5M is where I ponder

2) 2 years at $2.75M. Takes him to age 24 and I doubt he burns us by racking up points during that time. We likely see gradual progression where he earns something around $5M max. A 8 year term after this takes him to age 31 and we get to know more about who he really is.

However, Romanov might never get a 8 year term. It might be 2 or 3 year bridge then 5 year term. He is on a good development track but not so sure we should go 8 years unless the AAV is too good to decline. Not many players get 8 year terms and they mostly go to legit top line forwards or top paring D. Romanov is tracking to be top 4D.

Caufield is the one we should not bridge. He can and he will put up goals/points and that will be Subban round 2.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d rather sign him long-term but I see a bridge deal being more likely. As good as he might become, he likely won’t ever produce enough to get a massive contract in the next 2-3 years.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
2 years 2.5 - 3M AAV. His game has only glimpses of the top4 potential. Nothing but a short bridge is out of the question.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Agreed. If we can get him for $4M AAV long term, we should do it. Depends on what Romanov/Agent are thinking in terms of where he is at in a few years.

However, I think we bridge him. The Agent will look at the higher salary cap to come and say in 4 years, $4M will be low salary for a top 4D so they will push for $4.5M or higher IMO.

Personally, I don't see bridge risks cause he's not the type to rack up points. He's 22 today and I would go with 2 year bridge. Keep the AAV low and let him stay hungry. He will be 24 when he exists that bridge and likely will not have any 30+ pts seasons. At that point, we will know who he really is and then consider the 8 year term taking him to 31.
That's how I see it as well. 4M$ isn't such an overpayment on his actual value, so if it is possible for eight years, absolutely.

But in the end, it's more important to keep the AAV manageable. I like Suzuki and I'm happy he's locked in for eight years, but there are chances he turns into the third or fourth highest productive player on the team, and that could make it hard for the salary structure. McKinnon's and Stamkos' contracts were central in their team salary structure.

If all goes well, we'll also develop an offensive dman and have to sign a second contact with him at some point. He'll ask for more than Romanov, so let's not put Romanov AAV too high too fast

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad