Roman Polak - Poll edition.

Is Roman Polak a positive force on this team?

• Yes - Roman does everything the right way and helps us win and is better than Carrick.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Maybe - I feel he helps in some way but in others he falls short.

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • No - Takes penalties, ices the puck and is slow and unresponsive, Carrick is far better.

Votes: 36 49.3%

• Total voters

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak/Holl/Carrick (rotate until one of them becomes competent)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
We are a softer team when Carrick is in the lineup over Polak, but are we a worse team when we’re softer is the question

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We are a softer team when Carrick is in the lineup over Polak, but are we a worse team when we’re softer is the question

I think the amount of mistakes makes us easier to play against. So often when Polak is on he is standing and does nothing while the puck is locked down in our end.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Carrick and Polak aren't winning an losing us games for the most part, they will likely continue to rotate. Polak's skill set and style of play is traditionally more valuable in the playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Carrick and Polak aren't winning an losing us games for the most part, they will likely continue to rotate. Polak's skill set and style of play is traditionally more valuable in the playoffs.

This is interesting. Do you remember when the entire sharks fanbase was blaming him for being the weakest link in their cup run? I have seen Roman first hand cost many many PO series goals against because of his limitations. You can probably still read those reactions today.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This is interesting. Do you remember when the entire sharks fanbase was blaming him for being the weakest link in their cup run? I have seen Roman first hand cost many many PO series goals against because of his limitations. You can probably still read those reactions today.

I'm not saying Polak is great I'm saying his replacement isn't a huge upgrade. I'd prefer Borgman personally but Polak, Carrick and Borgman aren't huge upgrades on one another.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Babcock trusts him to kill penalties. He doesn't trust Carrick.

Until we get an upgrade that can kill penalties, I think we'll be seeing Polak.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Carrick is better, but Polak still brings some positives. He's a #6D and a good depth option. The PK abilities and nastiness are net positives.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe. That's the weakest spot on the team as the rotational spot, but it's only one spot. Would've been good to upgrade on it up to yesterday, but I expect it'll definitely be an off-season priority.

However, Hainsey/Dermott/Polak or Carrick is an upgrade on Carrick/Polak/Hunwick/Marincin? for me. Up front, I'll take Marleau/Plekanec over Martin/Boyle. A number of others are at least going in with some playoff experience this time around, so hoping that's of further help.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I trust Polak on the PK, not on 5v5. Not sure if I trust Carrick much more than polak 5v5 and I don't trust him on the PK.

Tough choice.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Very happy to report that Polak commits no errors against FL. I have noticed people don't really care much about him and nobody actually likes him really.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Hey - I am the only one who voted for Polak, the good pro!

The biggest difference between the two, is that Carrick is more of the modern defender for today. Mobile, able to make a pass to the forwards.

His biggest drawback, which happens to be Polak's strength, is Polak is good along the boards, in front of the net, breaking up plays.

Carrick still has trouble with the defending part, got to make more plays.

Polak despite getting slower every game, still makes more plays in his own zone.

Long term, I doubt either will be with the Leafs, perhaps as soon as next season.

:surrender

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Would have liked an upgrade but gonna have to with him as one of our depth guys.

Probably his last year with us though.

He needs a ring. Win it for Polak!

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
He is what he is at this point. He's a 6/7, decent penalty killer. I know what to expect from him when he's on the ice. I prefer him over Carrick at this point, but I like having a guy like him on my back end. Would I prefer an upgrade over Polak for his role? Absolutely. Can I live with Polak for now? Absolutely.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Polak is better than Carrick for the role he fills. PK, bottom pair, 5on5 vs bottom 6 opposition. Most of his minutes are spent defending in his own zone and I’d take him to do that long before Connor Carrick.

Not really a fan, but he adds a different element. Until they can find a nasty, physical defender to replace him, he’s staying. Get used to it.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Third pairing defenders are going to look stupid at times playing against top talent. If they don't, they are not a third pairing defence. Can we put away the pitch forks when speaking about our depth players for once?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for the 3rd option and I wanted to add this. Remember earlier this season against Ottawa when Karlsson scores a goal on Andersen and Polak has his stick in the blocker of Andersen to prevent him from moving in the crease.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's better than Carrick and based on what I've seen, Holl is a lot better than both.........my vote goes to giving Holl an extended look

Between Polak and Carrick, I guess I'd have to take Polak reluctantly. I just don't think Carrick has ever really looked good, and all things even, you still go Polak.

That said, I don't think Polak/Carrick, right now, are legitimate NHL players. There's definitely some doubt on my end, but with Polak, I think he's closer to NHL caliber than not.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Between Polak and Carrick who has made more mistakes? I can remember the ones Polak makes like his bad pass to Nylander against Tampa a lot more than what Carrick has done wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00