Roman Josi quietly having another Norris caliber season

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
73 points and 19 goals in 72 games and is carrying a surging Nashville squad to the playoffs. Not that he's gonna win it, but there's so little buzz around this guy compared to other high scoring defencemen in the game such as Makar, Hughes, Karlsson.

Defencemen points per game

Last 3 seasons

Makar 1.13
Josi 1.04
Hughes 1.00
Fox 0.94
Hedman 0.9
Karlsson 0.9

Last 5 seasons

Makar 1.06
Josi 0.97
Hughes 0.91
Hedman 0.88
Fox .86

Seems like his name comes up in these way less frequently than his production suggests it should. Thoughts on Josi and the season he's having? Surely he's a future HoFer in the maing.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
He is a beast and he seems to get better and better every year even though is 33.

He absolutely runs Nashville, he is so dominant out there.

And look at how smooth and gracious his skating is...

Can't wait to see him reach is final form in the Olympics with Switzerland :sarcasm:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
In reality, this is his best season. He's playing the system way more. He and Fabbro at one time were one of the higher rated shutdown pairs using xGA.

Very impressive dman who carries an offense consisting of all lumberjacks. Just imagine what he would be with superstars on his roster.
lol, Tommy Novak, and Evangelista, the mighty lumberjacks. Preds offensively are way better now than they've ever been, 3.25 gpg, 12th in the league.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Has not had a lot of big & concerning injuries. Still skating like the wind. I suspect he could play at this level for a while

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not speaking against him but I've seen plenty of buzz, no? His name was constantly in the Norris talks last few years and is all over the headlines over the last month + with the Preds surge

Magnificent player and love that he's getting better with age instead of slowing down so far

Reactions: gsharpe

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
He's firmly in second in my mind, a lot of people have been talking about him.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Too bad his passport prevents him from winning a Norris.

Well, he already has one so I don't know about that

But at the same time, I feel like if a 96 points season (being the first D to do this since Bourque in 94) wasn't enough for him to get his second, he might never get another at all...

And yeah, I assume he will keep playing at this level for at least 3 more years if he stays away from injuries.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
He's certainly doing enough to push himself into the first ballot HOFer tier. One of the best defensemen in the league all around and has been for awhile.

Oh, and he makes up one end of perhaps the best looking husband/wife pair in the league on a somewhat unrelated note.

Reactions: SouthNash

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
73 points and 19 goals in 72 games and is carrying a surging Nashville squad to the playoffs. Not that he's gonna win it, but there's so little buzz around this guy compared to other high scoring defencemen in the game such as Makar, Hughes, Karlsson.

Defencemen points per game

Last 3 seasons

Makar 1.13
Josi 1.04
Hughes 1.00
Fox 0.94
Hedman 0.9
Karlsson 0.9

Last 5 seasons

Makar 1.06
Josi 0.97
Hughes 0.91
Hedman 0.88
Fox .86

Seems like his name comes up in these way less frequently than his production suggests it should. Thoughts on Josi and the season he's having? Surely he's a future HoFer in the maing.
One of the most underrated players of our time for sure. I know so many casual fans who have never even heard of him really

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He had a slower start so it was one of those things where it took time for him to catch up in the overall numbers, but I think he’s received a decent amount of press lately and has passed some guys who were ranked higher in Norris votes recently. He has a good case for a finalist.

And I wouldn’t say there isn’t much buzz around him as other defensemen in general, it just comes and goes a bit. He had a lot of attention during his Norris year and especially his 96 point year (all the talk of hitting 100).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
“Quietly” is so overused on these boards. Everyone knows he’s a stud. Nashville is on a tear and he’s a big part of it. Vegas has him as the 3rd best odds to win the Norris and he will probably be a nominee. He’s had a great year but I don’t think he’s going under the radar at all. Maybe to the average person who only knows players like Makar, Matthews, McDavid. But not to people that actually follow hockey.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Drops of Jupiter

Dec 8, 2022
It is incredible that this guy goes as under the radar as he does. Two seasons ago he put up 96 points in 80 games (23 goals) and there was no real talk of him doing anything significant or being a Norris favourite, just a decent competitor to Makar who had 10 less points in 3 less games.

Last year Karlsson scored 101 points in 82 games (25 goals), won the Norris in a year where basically any and all talk of defensemen started and ended with his name, and you would have thought Bobby Orr had come out of retirement with all of the media circus surrounding it.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
It is incredible that this guy goes as under the radar as he does. Two seasons ago he put up 96 points in 80 games (23 goals) and there was no real talk of him doing anything significant or being a Norris favourite, just a decent competitor to Makar who had 10 less points in 3 less games.

Last year Karlsson scored 101 points in 82 games (25 goals), won the Norris in a year where basically any and all talk of defensemen started and ended with his name, and you would have thought Bobby Orr had come out of retirement with all of the media circus surrounding it.
Also, Josi is actually half-decent defensively.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t think that was the case. There was a ton of talk about him potentially getting 100 points that year, and he would probably have been the winner if he had hit it. A lot of people were actually surprised Makar won the Norris that year, and the vote was very close (1631 to 1606) and Josi had more 1st place votes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad