Roller skates

JR#9*

I am looking to buy a pair of roller skates that are comfortable and will last me a long time. I have a turf toe so comfort is a huge factor i was just wonderin if anyone had any good suggestions

member 30781

Same here. I am going to start playing roller hockey within the next 2 weeks with a couple friends of mine. I have been asking their opinions about certain skates. Most have said MIssions are not so comfortable. I am really looking toward NIKE Quest SHadows right now. the 04 model on rollerhockeymonkey.com only 80 bucks. The 05 model is cheap too. Not to disprove my point or anything but I have also heard you usually have to try them on. It is different for everyone. So if that gives you any help

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Mission skates are the most popular roller hockey skates for a reason. BUT you should go and try skates on, your friends are uncomfortable because they probably aren't wearing the right size or skates for their feet.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I thought my Missions were pretty comfortable...though the chassis was a different story. The axles screwed directly into the chassis and they would come loose every now and then. Then I took a shot to the chassis and it stripped one of the axles. I was done with Missions.

I have Tours now and they took a while to break in but aren't too bad.

I suggest going somewhere and trying them on. Also, the more expensive the skate, the more comfortable the boot usually.

Tbone54

Jul 3, 2006
I went with some CCM's, they have been pretty good for me...

but I have had many pairs of skates though that have been uncomforatble... You really have to go in and try them out... (I learnt this the hard way)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
You can also have one of your own ice skate boots fitted with a roller chassi. Just do yourself the favor and be sure to get ABEC 7 or better bearings. I spent a huge amount of coin on the ninja bearings but they have lasted forever(w/ proper care and maint.) and make skating much more fun.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I thought my Missions were pretty comfortable...though the chassis was a different story. The axles screwed directly into the chassis and they would come loose every now and then. Then I took a shot to the chassis and it stripped one of the axles. I was done with Missions.

I have Tours now and they took a while to break in but aren't too bad.

I suggest going somewhere and trying them on. Also, the more expensive the skate, the more comfortable the boot usually.

What chassis was that? Must have been an older mission skate.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
What chassis was that? Must have been an older mission skate.
They were 2000s. I bought 99's when the 2000's came out and I had the same problem with it so I returned them and exchanged them for the 2000s. They were a little better but no matter how tight I screwed the axle in, they would work their way out.

member 30781

I will have to go try it on. I have heard Tours are pretty good. I can try on Missions, but I am looking at the NIKE's or Tours. Mayber Bauer's.

madru17

Nov 2, 2006
Mission skates are the most popular roller hockey skates for a reason. BUT you should go and try skates on, your friends are uncomfortable because they probably aren't wearing the right size or skates for their feet.

or maybe they had some sexy *** feet :dunno:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Same skates I currently have. Its a mission GENERATOR CHASSI w/ the high low set up. A very rigid boot and solid chassi that has served me well for recreational skating and roller goal. I found the boot to be very comfortable. They area half size larger than what I normally would wear. The axles do mount to a threaded chassi but the loosening is most likely due to stretched threads on the axkle. They are only aluminum so if you over tighten just once, the threads become stretched and will not lock well. A new set of axles will solve the problem. With an aluminum axle you can either use the blue lock-tite or simply bring them up snug with the allen key and then just a little more..two fingers tight, so to speak. Reagrdless, with the abec 7 and above bearings you should be pulling and cleaning them so axles would be removed and retightened every third or fourth use.

They were missions top end skate retailing for around 399.00 US back in 2000

Last edited:

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Same skates I currently have. Its a mission GENERATOR CHASSI w/ the high low set up. A very rigid boot and solid chassi that has served me well for recreational skating and roller goal. I found the boot to be very comfortable. They area half size larger than what I normally would wear. The axles do mount to a threaded chassi but the loosening is most likely due to stretched threads on the axkle. They are only aluminum so if you over tighten just once, the threads become stretched and will not lock well. A new set of axles will solve the problem. With an aluminum axle you can either use the blue lock-tite or simply bring them up snug with the allen key and then just a little more..two fingers tight, so to speak. Reagrdless, with the abec 7 and above bearings you should be pulling and cleaning them so axles would be removed and retightened every third or fourth use.

They were missions top end skate retailing for around 399.00 US back in 2000
I used the lock-tite every time I took them off and the problem started as soon as I got them. It was a solid skate for the most part, but since I paid like $300 for them I expected a little more durability.

The one axle didn't give way until they were around 4 years old and I always wanted to try Tours so I got a new pair. The Tours also screw right into the chassis and I've yet to have a problem. What really pissed me off about the Missions was that I bought the '99 equivalent of the Proto Vsi team and returned them for that specific purpose. I also emailed Mission to see if I could buy a new set of axles, but they never responded, which also helped me switch to Tour.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
4 years is a pretty long time for skates to last, nowadays. Those were very good skates and I believe that yours was a somewhat isolated case.

But some of the newer high end missions do have durability issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad