Roller Hockey Thread

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone have the privilege of blading on wood before? Just curious, that’s what I grew up with so I thought it was normal- liked it so much more than sports court.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Anyone have the privilege of blading on wood before? Just curious, that’s what I grew up with so I thought it was normal- liked it so much more than sports court.

I last did so 24 years ago, and to that point had only ever played roller on wood rinks. I loved it then, but after taking a decade off and then getting back into it as an adult on sport court, I can't even imagine skating on wood again.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
When I was about 14, the first organized league I played in (NJ) was wood court. That only lasted like a season or 2. Also, the roller rinks open skates/parties were all wood. I much prefer the sports court feel.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so ball hockey, not roller hockey. I thought this was worth a post, but not a new thread.

So my oldest is playing ball hockey this spring (and also ice hockey - yes we're crazy). It's a fun team though as the kids are all ones we've played with over the years - all the kids are friends, all the parents are friends.

So we get to the game. Our team has a full roster, but the other team - have 2 goalies, but like 6 "skaters" (not sure the term for ball hockey - obviously they're not skating). So we start playing - the opposition team does have a kid join them mid-way though, but still means they have 7 "skaters", yet two goalies.

So this other team has a couple of talented players. My own kid recognizes on, saying he's like the best 2010 kid he knows. They score the first goal, but the lack of players has them pretty tired. It becomes 6-3 for us after 2 periods.

And then... our goalies just leaves? He's not the regular goalie for the team, but not sure what's going on. They start to line up with the other team's back-up in net for us (remember they have 7 "skaters" but 2 goalies), but then it's decided no - we're going to play the entire third period with an empty net, 6 on 5.

So it was a combination of our kids really dedicating themselves to defence, plus the other team being just gassed, but they manage to get away without giving up a goal against, 9-3 final.

But I have so many questions:

-what happened to our goalie?
-why wouldn't we dress one of our "skaters" as a goalie if we knew he was going to leave (I know at least one kid plays goal in ice hockey)?
-why did the other team show up with so few players?
-if the other team had so few players, why did they dress two goalies?
-why wouldn't we give a couple of our players to the other team to make it a more fair game? I mean it's only ball hockey

But anyways. It was just really bizarre to watch unfold. And even talking with my kid afterwards he had no idea what was going on (of course that's fairly typical when talking with 13 year olds)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad