Rogers Place: Countdown to the Grand Opening part I(post your experiences)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
I hope that's just an Oil Kings thing and not an Oilers thing. :help:

I know it could be possible, seeing as the Dome in Calgary has separate horns for the Hitmen and Flames.

I think it sounds alright, just a little different from Rexall. I'd be ok with the Oilers using it too.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
For those watching, are the Oil Kings attacking left to right in the first and third periods as they did at Rexall? Or is it switched?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Heard the horn again (on headphones this time), and it does sound different. Very much like the 06 Playoff Horn (but not quite as dissonant). I like it!

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Heard the horn again (on headphones this time), and it does sound different. Very much like the 06 Playoff Horn (but not quite as dissonant). I like it!

Yea, its definitely louder. I like it too, and the air raid siren is a nice touch.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
To my untrained ear, it sounds like Rexall's goal horn, but quickly morphs into an air raid siren, accompanied by Nicki Minaj's "Pound the Alarm". Actually sounds amazing, IMO.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Oh and here is the future trivia question, Who scored the first ever goal at Rogers Place? Trey Fix-Wolansky. Do you think you can remember that in about 40 years when a new arena is being opened?

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
To my untrained ear, it sounds like Rexall's goal horn, but quickly morphs into an air raid siren, accompanied by Nicki Minaj's "Pound the Alarm". Actually sounds amazing, IMO.

Its not a song that appeals to my tastes, but I went and had a listen to it, and I think parts of the song are a decent choice for a goal song. Its better than that Metric song they used last year anyway.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012

Just heard the replay on 1260 period highlights. I thought it was Joe Satrani's "Crowd Chant", but maybe not.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Its not a song that appeals to my tastes, but I went and had a listen to it, and I think parts of the song are a decent choice for a goal song. Its better than that Metric song they used last year anyway.

The only problem is that the Oil Kings and Oilers use different songs/Dj's IIRC.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Just wondering, how does the horn sound live?

Sounds great to me. As far as the goal horn from Rexall sounds, it does sound enhanced/tuned a bit. I like the addition of the air horn, but I'd prefer if the oilers went with something else if they are adding to the original horn.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
eh, too much info terry...
@sunterryjones: Hockey history. First time covering oil kings and oilers in edmonton i've just had a poop in the press box. First time we've had a toilet.

Hilarious reply from Dreger:

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
I'm looking forward to hearing from those who attended the first hockey game at Rogers Place. How was the experience?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm looking forward to hearing from those who attended the first hockey game at Rogers Place. How was the experience?

Obviously I'm biased, but it was great. Lines are shorter, staff are abundant, the kids combos are still in effect, everything was solid once they hauled that manlift off. Watching the third period of the Canada game was awesome.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Oh and here is the future trivia question, Who scored the first ever goal at Rogers Place? Trey Fix-Wolansky. Do you think you can remember that in about 40 years when a new arena is being opened?

Former Spruce Grove Saint.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Goal horn sounded the same to me. :dunno:

It was terrific, just some things to fix up. I was front row of the second deck. The stairs are pretty steep but you get used to it and there were no issues in my section. The bathroom near my section (221) had two entrances/exits and lines were very quick. The food place had a long line, I don't know how long people had to wait as I did not order anything, though.

Only complaint was the beer stand had four tills but only one lady working all night. I asked her why she was working alone and she said she wasn't even supposed to be at that stand, she was supposed to be working at the bar, so I'm not really sure what happened.

Last edited:

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
Definitely lots of tweaking to do, but overall a great experience.

The sound system is loud and dynamic. It's my favourite part of the new barn.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I have Loge ledge seats and the game/experience was first rate. Whoever thought to put the Canada Russia game on gets a gold star. The maintenance dude of the picker fails class.....

Wasn't sure I'd like watching the game higher up than in my old Club section at Rexall but after 10 minutes I was used to it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can hear the players, sticks and pucks clearly so the acoustics are great. Sounds system rocks. Of course the scoreboard is insane.

Sight lines are unbeatable there. Table service was super fast albeit you pay a premium for it with a service fee surcharge. Food cost was reasonable, quality was good and portions were huge, we ordered way too much for the two of us. A mixed drink was only $1 more than a draft beer so that was a pleasant surprise. Large expansive reclining seats on casters and the ledge sight lines just make it a unique in game experience. If you get a chance to get Loge ledge tickets, do it.

Zero crowds in washrooms, concessions or the bars. Easy to get in pregame, easy to leave post game. Escalator broken from Loge level to Level 7, talking with the attendant I guess they've had nothing but problems with that escalator since they've opened. Noticed a lot more colour in the building as well with some more murals up and some huge advertising since the open house.

They have kinks to work out but that's to be expected. Can't wait for the split squad game Monday.

Edit - goal horn is the old Rexall goal horn.

Last edited:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Just got back, very impressed with the arena! I was in section 201 and the sight lines are awesome! Felt like we were on top of the action, and had a person leaning forward in front of me all game and it didn't even phase me.

The building itself is beautiful, very well made all around.

My only negative would be concession lines in the top concourse. Both times I went the lines were massive and moving super slow. Makes sense though as it seemed they were a bit understaffed and also every staff member is new there. Should be a problem that works itself out pretty quickly.

Oh and the goal horn sounded incredible live, definitely feels like Rexall's but just louder and evolved a bit.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
What does the crowd sound like there? Does if feel a little louder with the way the building looms over itself?

Also, do the pissers have dividers? nothing worse than having to shove your tallywhacker into the urinal so the creep next to you with the roving eye doesn't get a gander.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Went to the game tonight. Experience was.. It was a hockey game.

The Arena bowl is very impressive.

The concourse is... Nice. Nicer then rexall. But the nicest in the World? Not a chance. Probably not the nicest in the NHL and not even sure if it's the nicest in Canada. I've only been in the ACC and the Phoenix arena, but both were as impressive.

Maybe it's not near finished, but spectacular is not a word I would use to describe Rogers Place.

I think they over sold this place. They said we'd be blown away. By what pray tell? Ford Hall is a big hall. Ok....

Don't get me wrong, it's nice. But spectacular? Forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad