Music: Roger Waters vs David Gilmour(Pink Floyd) another round of their feud

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Roger Waters slams ex-bandmate David Gilmour for banning him from Pink Floyd website

For over 30 years these two have been going back and forth with each other, well not just Gilmour but all members of Floyd at one time or another took turns in this feud but Gilmour has taken the brunt of Waters attacks over the years.

It is really tough to be on anyones side but IMO Waters comes off as being a very bitter old man in some of the things he has said and done. Some Floyd fans defend him but even they admit his treatment of one of his former band mates prior to him quitting was shoddy and I think Waters does not either understand or realize that much of the hatred towards him comes from his last few years in the band and the arguments they had and how treated the other band mates

Will Gilmour respond?

For me, while I am not that big fan of the band, I think Mason and Gilmour still hold a grudge towards Waters over this treatment of Richard Wright and with Wright now gone, they carry on the resentment towards Waters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don’t really care about who is at fault tbh. I’ve always felt that Waters was the genius behind the band. He may or may not be a prick ( and probably is) but his lyrics and vision for me were what really defined the band. Don’t get me wrong Gilmour was great too. His guitar was integral to the band as well.
There’s usually two sides to every break up be it a band or a relationship. Not always. But in most cases.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
old.jpg

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I find david gilmour solo work to be pretty boring , its a little bit like Harmonium where the sum of their parts was amazing with a distinct sound that had lots of depth.

Reactions: Fantomas

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Bandmates hating each other is a longtime rock'n'roll tradition. There aren't many highly successful classic rock groups that didn't have friction within them.

Remember a few years ago when Keith Richards absolutely ripped Mick Jagger in his autobiography? Or Stevie Nicks being livid at Mick Fleetwood for stuff he wrote in his book? Or all the drama within The Eagles? You'd think the members of those bands would never talk to each other again, but they all put aside their differences to tour together and add a few more millions to their retirement savings.

It may be sad that Gilmour and Waters still dislike each other, but at least they're being honest about it.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Boomer millionaires fighting over first world country sheeeiiiit

Do you know why "The Division Bell" is Pink Floyd's best album? Because that prick Roger Waters had nothing to do with recording it. He inspired the album and Gilmour ran with it. f*** Roger Waters.

It feels good to not be alone on Team Gilmour

I love pink floyd but I never paid much attention to the feud and don't care who's to blame or the reason behind it just love to listen to their music.

And that’s the way it should be. Sad that they let tiny shit ruin any magic they could have given us the last however many decades

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I like the band. Waters thought he was the most creative guy in the band and when he left? They did not miss a step

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Sometimes i think that Waters is mad at Gilmour because Pink Floyd managed to succed without him. The pulse concert is pretty much the height of the band and Waters had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Greatest band of all time, and nothing they say or do now can sully that.

Being said, Waters virtually always comes off as a bit of an egomaniac. I have a lot of respect for his creative ability, but David Gilmour (with much respect to Syd Barrett) was Pink Floyd, and Roger Wright was as creatively involved in the band's peaks (Meddle, WYWH, Dark Side, Division Bell) as Waters was. I know The Wall was Waters' baby - and some of the songs on there are absolute genius... but it's a bloated, hyperactively self-conscious album with a lot of dross (kind of like Waters himself?). Pink Floyd at their best is when Gilmour pared it down, or Wright made it soar orchestrally. I never really needed all the weird British TV background motifs and skits that Waters was so keen on injecting into everything. The Final Cut is their worst album, and that was ostensibly a Waters solo album. I am still legitimately stunned that they were able to share a stage for that Live 8 concert in 2005 - Wright and Waters in particular. That's some kind of munificence.

To be fair to Waters, Gilmour can come off as a bit of a jerk sometimes, too. I watched an interview once in which the interviewer asked him what he thought about 'Comfortably Numb' (a Waters song) being the most beloved Floyd song, and he essentially scoffed at the question and suggested that wasn't the case.

You ever want a trip, go listen to Waters' most popular solo work, Amused to Death. It is verrrry OK Boomer. One of the most over-produced, kitschy things I've heard from a musician that I appreciate.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sometimes i think that Waters is mad at Gilmour because Pink Floyd managed to succed without him. The pulse concert is pretty much the height of the band and Waters had nothing to do with it.

Waters said during many interviews in the 80's, that he was voice and heart of Floyd and he could not believe they went on without him. What separates Gilmour from Waters is the treatment of Wright and Mason. Waters believed he had the right to tell them what to do and how to do it and he proved--he could replace them if the mood suited him. Gilmour viewed his relationship with them as being a partnership and as he said "they hired me". While Gilmour ended up being the main writer because he brought the song ideas to the band, both Wright and Mason, usually figured out what Gilmour wanted and expanded on the ideas he had.

Right before he died, Wright gave an interview where he was asked the Gilmour and Waters feud. HIs comments were along the line "It was Syds band and Roger and David ended up taking it over. David knew that but Roger refused to admit or accept it"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hope they can patch things up, and reunite with Mason for a new album, which would use a session keyboardist, but Rod Argent could be their touring keyboardist.

Off the top of my head, I think Gilmour holds a massive grudge towards Waters over Waters treatment of Wright and comments that were made towards wright by Waters. Mason touched on it a few years ago after Wright passed away and said that some of the bad blood comes from that. Waters reportedly gave a half hearted sorry when asked about it by the media here in the UK

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Waters has always been full of himself. He thinks his opinion is the only one that matters. He is a tremendous artist and performer, beyond that he is an empty shell of a human being.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

They released two terrible albums and then made a bunch of money playing songs written by Waters in front of crowds. Whoop-dee-doo.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
#teamwaters all the way. A true humanitarian who's done much to draw attention to the suffering of Palestinians. On top of that, a really charismatic guy and a great artist.

Meanwhile Gilmour scratches his ass and writes some of the worst music ever to reach the ear of man.

Reactions: kook10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad