Celebrity Death: Roger Corman

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I didn't realize that he was still alive, to say nothing of still working. IMDb credits him as a producer on a couple of upcoming projects and he recently produced Sharktopus vs Werewhale and CobraGator. It's nice to see that he never changed.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I didn't realize that he was still alive, to say nothing of still working. IMDb credits him as a producer on a couple of upcoming projects and he recently produced Sharktopus vs Werewhale and CobraGator. It's nice to see that he never changed.
HE has a massive influence on lots of up and coming directors and writers. With Ron Howard, Scorcose and Coppale being some of them and of course Corman was the one who first hired James Cameron

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
HE has a massive influence on lots of up and coming directors and writers. With Ron Howard, Scorcose and Coppale being some of them and of course Corman was the one who first hired James Cameron
Yeah, I recently watched Galaxy of Terror, a Corman Alien knock-off for which James Cameron was the set designer (which was neat, since Cameron went on to direct the Alien sequel 5 years later). Perhaps that's part of why Corman kept making B movies, even into his 90s. Maybe he liked giving opportunities in the business (and opportunities to get creative, since the budgets were so low) to folks with a little talent and little experience and seeing if they run with it. At any point in the last 70 years, he could've left B movies and moved onto only A movies with big names, like Cameron did, but he didn't. I respect that restraint.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Yeah, I recently watched Galaxy of Terror, a Corman Alien knock-off for which James Cameron was the set designer (which was neat, since Cameron went on to direct the Alien sequel 5 years later). Perhaps that's part of why Corman kept making B movies, even into his 90s. Maybe he liked giving opportunities in the business (and opportunities to get creative, since the budgets were so low) to folks with a little talent and little experience and seeing if they run with it. At any point in the last 70 years, he could've left B movies and moved onto only A movies with big names, like Cameron did, but he didn't. I respect that restraint.
Corman life was interesting to say the least

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
"You do a good job on this, you'll never have to work with me again."

Legit one of the most significant figures in film history. A true independent.

His Edgar Allan Poe movies with Vincent Price are pretty great on their own.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
"You do a good job on this, you'll never have to work with me again."

Legit one of the most significant figures in film history. A true independent.

His Edgar Allan Poe movies with Vincent Price are pretty great on their own.

The list of people who got their start with him is like a who's who of Hollywood over the past 75 years.

The Raven is one of my favorite movies of all time. I am trying to find the interview Jack Nickolson gave talking about how working with Corman helped him figure out how/what he was going to do in his career. One line I remember was "Corman paid shit but you had fun working on his sets. I have worked on many movies where there was not a single person working who was happy. The only people not happy on a Corman set were those who did not know what they were doing or were in the wrong industry". Something to that extent.

Corman was a fan of movies and like making them and he loved teaching people behind the scenes tricks. What is the most amazing things about all his movies. Only about 12 did not make money. While some did not make a lot of money most made enough to finance his next movie. I watching one the "reviews" of his work on youtube and it talk to Ron Howard and he talked about how he came to because while he always wanted to work behind the scenes, people in Hollywood saw him as Opie or Ritchie Cunningham. Corman asked him what he wanted to do. So while shooting the early days of Happy days he spent his free time around Corman and people who worked for Corman. Corman allowed him to be "rat" running around several of his sets when Howard was not shooting Happy Days and one day Corman saw Howard working on the screen play that would become Grand Theft Auto and Corman and his "crew" help guide Howard to get the script ready. Howard thought Corman was going to direct it. Corman's response was "that is not how I work. It is your baby" Corman financed Howards movie and he explained how to get finance for movies. Bette Davies one of the nasties of old Hollywood was at first appalled to find out she was working for Howard on the movie Skyward when Howard was 25. After 10 minutes of working with Howard she realized he knew what he was doing and knew how to deal with actors

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
There is a phenomenal interview w him on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast if anyone wants to google it. Was just listening to it yesterday, kind of spooky. I cant believe he was in his 90s, he was sharp as a tack and had great recall of details.

RIP!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad