Injury Report: Robertson Undergoes Season Ending Shoulder Surgery | Hollowell out 12 Weeks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If his value is as low as some are saying than you might as well hold on to him and give him a chance next year. No need to trade him for peanuts.

Yeah the key here is to do nothing with a distressed asset. He’s not expensive. May not be worth anything but has some unknown upside. Just hold tight and realize there’s no rush to make any decision.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That may be the only good thing that comes from this. I am not nearly as down on Robertson as many. Kid is going to be a good player. But I will admit, his size and fearless determination may continue to lead to injuries down the road.

I don’t have high hopes at all for him due to size and play style. But I will say that if he can one day blossom into a Marty St. Louis, it will take time for him to build up his body and strength. Don’t think St. Louis had tree trunks for legs and all that man strength at 21 either.

So while he’s here and doesn’t cost anything just leave him be and let him develop at his own speed. We don’t need to pencil him into any role in the short term though.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Kid needs to spend heavy leg time in the gym and become Quadzilla.

Watching Martin St. Louis as a player would be good for him.

I don’t have high hopes at all for him due to size and play style. But I will say that if he can one day blossom into a Marty St. Louis, it will take time for him to build up his body and strength. Don’t think St. Louis had tree trunks for legs and all that man strength at 21 either.

So while he’s here and doesn’t cost anything just leave him be and let him develop at his own speed. We don’t need to pencil him into any role in the short term though.
You posted this as I was saying the same.

Wow! 👍🏻

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Has he skated or anything at all since this? Kind of forgot he existed. would have been nice to have right about now

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That is fair, though I guess that depends if you think he can bounce back. If the medical team thinks this will keep happening it is likely better to get something than nothing.

Yeah we don't have a Weapon X program in this province. I think we just have an injury prone player.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Robertson likely avoided being trade currency at this year's deadline. He kinda is the forgotten prospect, that could very easily be a valuable commodity, when cap casualties come knocking.

Here's hoping he puts in the work and is ready for camp. Development (behind the scenes) on Robertson would be a feather in the cap of our staff

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Kid needs to spend heavy leg time in the gym and become Quadzilla.

Watching Martin St. Louis as a player would be good for him.

You posted this as I was saying the same.

Wow! 👍🏻
Or he could have put in his time in the AHL + filling out instead of whining through his brother and the media. This feels like a Bracco situation all over again.

Reactions: fancy lad

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Who is the future Lindros and when did the Leafs have them?
The poster was referring to the 6'9" Curtis Douglas who was traded for Connor Timmins. I'm prerry sure the poster was being sarcastic. (although given some of the crap posted on HFBoards, it can be hard to tell). When the trade was made last fall, a lot of the discussion on here centered around posters who thought the Leafs were making a mistake by giving up someonne that big;. Timmins's injuries came up a lot too.

Reactions: banks

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
St. Louis was released by two different organizations and was in his mid 20's when Tampa picked up him up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
St. Louis was released by two different organizations and was in his mid 20's when Tampa picked up him up.

I'm not sure you hold onto every small guy like he's the next MSL. They don't come along very often so you have to know the signs. Robertson has the extreme competitiveness which is great. He'll need legs like tree trucks and a gym freak mentality next. It's going to be a long road back for him though.

Reactions: robertmac43

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Eventually.

Would be nice if he came back and became a top 6 winger for us
I believe he will be. I think the Dallas game is the Nick Robertson we will get. I actually think Robertson - Matthews - Nylander would be an amazing top line. Followed by Bunting - Tavares - Marner (to me you go back to that line which was similar to Hyman - Tavares - Marner Tavares’ first year)

Then maybe a third line of Knies - O’Reilly - Jarnkrok or you let Knies go bake in the AHL.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I'm not sure you hold onto every small guy like he's the next MSL. They don't come along very often so you have to know the signs. Robertson has the extreme competitiveness which is great. He'll need legs like tree trucks and a gym freak mentality next. It's going to be a long road back for him though.
Johnny Hockey isn't built and quite slight. There are exceptions. Not that I think Robbie will amount to much. Just playing devil's advocate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny Hockey isn't built and quite slight. There are exceptions. Not that I think Robbie will amount to much. Just playing devil's advocate.

Nick Robertson isn't a playmaker with vision like Johnny Hockey.

Watching him play, I find he's kind of an unusual package. Wants to play a physical game above his weight class, is like a dog on a bone with the puck... but in a bad, buzzy Yakupov kind of way. Has a massive shot, but chases the play so closely he can't get to his marks.

Reactions: Kurtz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How many games in a row has he ever been healthy in any league?

Some you consider prospects until they aren't, just treat him as a write-off until proven otherwise.

I do think he could work well with Nylander and a solid center.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He played pretty well with Tavares and Marner.

It’s very unfortunate how often he’s been injured. He’s got the skill and the determination is definitely there. Hopefully he puts a ton of work in while he’s off with this injury and in the off-season and comes back ready to roll next season.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Will this guy ever come back?
no-nope.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad