Proposal: Robert Thomas to Detroit

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Reading is hard I guess evidently for every blues fan in this thread.

My OP said:

“DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
Marco Kasper (C) (former 8 overall pick)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious”

Maybe 2 ppl have provided any actual discussion (such as buch for 15 which I’d do) they are all just butt hurt Betty’s & don’t offer actual counter offers. Sorry I suggested a trade on a hockey forums board lol

I don't think people are reacting to your proposal because is ridden with homerism or completely undervaluing others' assets. We have seen far worse from various others in the forum. Especially from a specific franchise that should remain unnamed here, ahem....

But you have to understand any motivation of another team in moving their top player, what would it even make them take notice. The Blues are in a good position literally everywhere, except defense of the future, where there is basically a black hole (OK, maybe Lindstein, but that alone is far from fixing the problem). Literally the only thing that make the Blues organization to take note woud be to offer them something that will be a permanent and massive fix for the D of the future.

Anything less than that would not even warrant a discussion about our top player. If there is any package out there that would worth losing Thomas for, it would be one that contains two major future pieces on D, something that we have none of ATM. While your package has some interesting stuff, not a single one of them would come close to fitting the bill of being one of those two pieces.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
As has already been stated, the Blues would not move Thomas. He's the franchise right now and going forward. He's our most valuable player and young, higher-end 1Cs don't become available almost ever and definitely not for a reasonable price. From the Blues standpoint, it would have to be a definite overpay. Not a quantity overpay, but guys you actually don't want to move. In my mind, it would have to be Danielson and Edvinsson for Thomas and Bolduc or something along those lines. Like obviously you wouldn't want to do it, but that would be what it would take. Because you're not getting a likely 1C, you're getting a guaranteed 1C. And I like and value Edvinsson a lot, but there's risk involved with him and none involved with RT.

Like I wouldn't recommend anyone pay 350k for a new Ferrari, but that's the price.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Listen, I know this player is an absolute stud and the blues will NOT want to trade a 24 year old 1C unless there's a huge overpay... but lets say wings are willing to overpay

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious cause Larkin, Thomas, Danielson would be a sick 1-2-3 C core
The Blues wouldn’t need more to move him. They would need better to make a deal. More pluses wouldn’t move the needle.

Reactions: Blueston

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Robert Thomas has to be right up there with the most overrated players in the league.
Here we go with the typical "the player I obviously want to trade for sucks, so you're lucky that I'm giving you an offer for him at all" rhetoric.
Reading is hard I guess evidently for every blues fan in this thread.

My OP said:

“DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious”

Maybe 2 ppl have provided any actual discussion (such as buch for 15 which I’d do) they are all just butt hurt Betty’s & don’t offer actual counter offers. Sorry I suggested a trade on a hockey forums board lol

And there we go with the insults.

Point blank, it would take a hell of a lot more than anything you want to give up (i.e., not Wallinder, not Kasper, not a middle-round pick, and definitely not Gibson).

A trade around an extended Buchnevich and your #15 overall pick (possibly with additions for either side, depending on what your fellow Red Wings fans and my fellow Blues fans think)? Personally, I'd go for it. But Robert Thomas is damn near untouchable, considering how valuable he is to the Blues, considering our lack of center depth and skill outside of him, considering that it would signify a true rebuild, and considering how much of a steal his contract is.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Listen, I know this player is an absolute stud and the blues will NOT want to trade a 24 year old 1C unless there's a huge overpay... but lets say wings are willing to overpay

What would it take?

DET offers
2024 1st (15OA)
William Wallinder (LHD)
Andrew Gibson (RHD)

Would this be ball park? or do blues want more? I know they wont trade him but just curious cause Larkin, Thomas, Danielson would be a sick 1-2-3 C core
As of right now, I wouldn't even trade Thomas for the #1 pick, 15 is a joke.
Thomas, sure, but I don't see how Parayko and Binnington especially aren't replaceable

Parayko is the first dman to lead both blocked shots and take aways since they started tracking the stats, he was an absolute monster defensively this year. Just because he doesn't do flashy shit like Makar doesn't mean he's not one of the most important players on the team. Binnington, if he was on a team that wasn't hot garbage would have been in the talks for the vezina this year. We cannot replace Binnington with what a trading him would bring. So there is no reason to ever trade him. He's worth far more than what anyone would be wiling to pay. That's not a knock on him, it's just how goalie markets go.
Robert Thomas has to be right up there with the most overrated players in the league.

Thomas put up 60 assists and our 2nd highest scorer had 65 total points. Thomas is most definitely not over rated. I can't wait to see what he does with some shoot first mentality wingers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why do Thomas trade threads keep coming up? Don't see STL trading him unless they get a ridiculous overpay. It's not like they are overstocked with top 6C's.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why do Thomas trade threads keep coming up? Don't see STL trading him unless they get a ridiculous overpay. It's not like they are overstocked with top 6C's.
Good player on a team that people think should rebuild. Army has said no to a tear down rebuild, which would be the only scenario of Thomas being traded.

Reactions: JTRAIN1966

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It would cost Edvinsson and Danielson. The Blues have zero reason to trade one of the best young Cs in the sport. He’s what they’re building around.

As for Detroit, they would have to feel real comfortable with some of their other young Dmen. We seen those flashes of a smooth 6’6” dman transporting the puck and being a force in his own end with his reach, his retrieval skills, etc. Its scary trading a kid like that. Not to mention how good Danielson is proving to be in Portland. It’s very rare to watch that team in the playoffs without him being far and away, the best player on the ice every night. It’s a trade that probably bites Detroit, but that’s what I’m asking for if I’m Armstrong, or there’s no deal.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
It would cost Edvinsson and Danielson. The Blues have zero reason to trade one of the best young Cs in the sport. He’s what they’re building around.

As for Detroit, they would have to feel real comfortable with some of their other young Dmen. We seen those flashes of a smooth 6’6” dman transporting the puck and being a force in his own end with his reach, his retrieval skills, etc. Its scary trading a kid like that. Not to mention how good Danielson is proving to be in Portland. It’s very rare to watch that team in the playoffs without him being far and away, the best player on the ice every night. It’s a trade that probably bites Detroit, but that’s what I’m asking for if I’m Armstrong, or there’s no deal.
I get it from the blues perspective, but lets say they randomly did decide to blow it up and rebuild, I would even consider trading Danielson and Kasper + 15 OA for him, not sure blues even do that either tho.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I get it from the blues perspective, but lets say they randomly did decide to blow it up and rebuild, I would even consider trading Danielson and Kasper + 15 OA for him, not sure blues even do that either tho.
It would be an interesting proposal, but unless I’m forced to trade Thomas, I’m asking for Edvinsson and Danielson still.

I spent almost 4 months combined over in the WHL this season and it’s pretty tough finding a better forward in the league. If he has a fault, it’s that he doesn’t shoot the puck enough, but we always hear that with pace setter type players. He controls play during games. He’s not just a finisher or pure offensive player like most of the great forwards in the league. Where you won’t hear from them for 5-10 minutes and then they’ll make a great play and score, or generate chances, etc, etc. He literally is controlling the games during his shifts.. most of the time against the other team’s best players. If those kids are anywhere near a PPG in junior, they usually end up pretty darn good NHL players, who can drive a line. The people who watch stats will never understand what that means in Juniors. That Junior stats don’t mean very much for these players. As long as they’re PPG types, they’re just fine. The great part about the trade is, he was finally able to shut some people up, who don’t understand how playing in Brandon effected his overall point production. Funny, we see similar comments this year about Ryder Ritchie, who faced many of the same issue in Prince Albert this year. If Detroit keeps that 15th pick, don’t be surprised if they take him as well btw. Higher than people think he’ll go. I know they’ve been one of the few teams to have been in Brandon, Prince Albert and Saskatoon a ton this season. Probably more than anyone in Prince Albert. They’ll know how good Ritchie truly is as well. If you’re drafting 15-20 and have your sights set on him, you probably weren’t happy how well he played at the U18s lol.

Danielson is the best forward prospect Detroit has had in a very long time, and the sky really is the limit. I say Trevor Linden from the Medicine Hat days, but comparisons are unfair. Lots of Toews in his game too. Smoother than both though. The best part, and why Detroit has to be really excited right now is, the better the competition, the better he usually is. He’s not only controlling pace in games, he’s shutting down the opposing team’s best players most nights.

That’s what I think of Robert Thomas, and so should the Blues. That they could demand two of the best prospects in the game for him. Where in 3 years from now, there’s a good chance this looks like a bad trade for Detroit. That’s the chance you take for NHL proven vs non proven yet.

The good part is, there’s no chance this happens, and Detroit will get to watch these prospects evolve into NHL players.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Players like Thomas don't get traded for a bunch of prospects/picks unless that prospect coming back is one of those #1 overall picks. The Blues would need a player of that caliber in return, and the only guy on the Wings that they may entertain at this point is Seider.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Good player on a team that people think should rebuild. Army has said no to a tear down rebuild, which would be the only scenario of Thomas being traded.
Generally you rebuild around a small core of players, and Thomas is young enough to be rebuilt around. You don't trade your best young player in the hopes of maybe replacing him with a prospect in a few years.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Ah, so the OP says that if Blues fans don't want to trade Robert Thomas or engage with what it would take to get Robert Thomas we are all "butt-hurt Bettys" who can't read.

Also OP says he knows his proposal would never happen.

What the f*** is this dismal shit

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
That's what I said. He's not being traded by the simple fact that Army isn't doing a tear-down rebuild.
I understand what you are saying . I was implying that, even if Armstrong was going to do a complete tear down that, he's too good & too young to trade . We are definitely lucky to have him on the Blues .

I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen with, Draisaitl in the next year . That would be a sweet score in free agency if, it gets that far .

Reactions: bleedblue1223

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Why resort to insults on a proposal that doesn't make sense. If we made a thread offering #16, Dvorsky, Lindstein, and Buchinger for Seider, Detroit fans would have a similar reaction where it doesn't even make sense to counter. And this is even ignoring how Dvorsky is ranked higher than Kasper in most, if not all rankings that I've seen, and depending on the ranking, Dvorsky and Snuggerud are sometimes even on par or ahead of Edvinsson.

Value wise to get Thomas, it would require a deal around Seider or Edvinsson++. You guys have plenty of stuff to make a deal for Buchnevich, but if you were looking for a discussion around Thomas, there just isn't one to be had.
I question anything that has them ahead of edvinsson. That said wings fans need to realize blues value Thomas as much as wings value seider, obvious no deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad