Robert Nilsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
I don't think there ever was much hype. He is/was projected to be a 2nd line winger. If I recall, on draft day in 2003 when the Isles took him over Parise, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire literally fell off their chairs. They thought it was a rather poor decision by Milbury and company.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
bruins4777 said:
Why did this guy regress so much, after all the hype surrounding him he's dropped off considerably why?

his coaches the last 2 seasons have had demanded more consistent and better defensive effort.When he didn't provide it,he's found himself on the 4th line.

Fans who follow the SEL have posted that Nilsson's paid more attention to his defense this yr then in previous yrs.He's been to a couple of nyi prospect camps and they remain intrigued with his offensive potential.There've been comments from nyi beatwriters and Milbury the past few months,indicating the isles want to bring Nilsson over to the ahl where they can control his icetime,help his development.

Ironically he's playing probably his best hockey recently.I just hope he doesn't decide to give it another yr with Djurgarden.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
TML said:
I don't think there ever was much hype. He is/was projected to be a 2nd line winger. If I recall, on draft day in 2003 when the Isles took him over Parise, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire literally fell off their chairs. They thought it was a rather poor decision by Milbury and company.

The hype was huge around a year or two before the draft when many thought he could go first overall. He actually had a better points-per-game average in the Swedish J20 league as a 15 year old than guys like Kopitar and Bergfors have this year as 17 year olds which is pretty amazing. It seems he started to regress before he was even drafted despite the records he set in his draft year (most points as a 17 year old in the hostory of the SEL etc.).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I remember a lot of the hype was that he scored more points than forsberg and naslund at that age in that league or something, comparisons were quickly made based on that and there you go...

then isles fans hyped him amongst themselves (completely understandable)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Levitate said:
I remember a lot of the hype was that he scored more points than forsberg and naslund at that age in that league or something, comparisons were quickly made based on that and there you go...

then isles fans hyped him amongst themselves (completely understandable)

the comment below is from an ISS article just before the 2005 WJC.Again the knock on Nilsson from scouts and coaches isn't talent,but inconsistency and lack of effort on defense.

http://www.internationalscouting.com/wjhc2005.html
The central figure for the Tre Kronor comes with a name familiar to fans in Winnipeg -- forward Robert Nilsson is the son of Kent (Magic Man) Nilsson. A gifted puckhandler, Nilsson can be brilliant. And, like his old man, he can also be occasionally frustrating to watch if he's not inspired.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
i remember several reports that called him the most talented player in the draft. He reminds me a bit of Chistov, world class talent, but is the desire there?

If it is, i think he can become a 1st liner.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He just needs the right mad genius to coach him to get his heart on track... I thought Wikegård would be the right mad man, but obviously not...

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
mattihp said:
He just needs the right mad genius to coach him to get his heart on track... I thought Wikegård would be the right mad man, but obviously not...

Wikegård is just a bad coach, with him behind the bench, moving to DIF was probably the worst move Nilsson could do. He should have chosen a with a coach who's good with young players, or even players in general.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
Robert Nilsson had problems at Leksand last season too. His sudden departure from Leksand is strange but I think most people suspect something happened away from the rink there.

This season he had problems but he seem to have picked up his game lately. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Snoopy

Mar 5, 2005
CREW99AW said:
the comment below is from an ISS article just before the 2005 WJC.Again the knock on Nilsson from scouts and coaches isn't talent,but inconsistency and lack of effort on defense.

I would take what ever ISS says with a huge grain of salt.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
1979-80 Atlanta Flames NHL 80 40 53 93 10 4 0 0 0 2
1980-81 Calgary Flames NHL 80 49 82 131 26 14 3 9 12 2
1981-82 Calgary Flames NHL 41 26 29 55 8 3 0 3 3 2
1982-83 Calgary Flames NHL 80 46 58 104 10 9 1 11 12 2
1983-84 Calgary Flames NHL 67 31 49 80 22 -- -- -- -- --
1984-85 Calgary Flames NHL 77 37 62 99 14 3 0 1 1 0
1985-86 Minnesota Ns NHL 61 16 44 60 10 5 1 4 5 0
1986-87 Minnesota Ns NHL 44 13 33 46 12 -- -- -- -- --
1986-87 Edmonton Oil NHL 17 5 12 17 4 21 6 13 19 6
NHL Totals 553 264 422 686 116 59 11 41 52 14
(from hockey db)
Not a dissapointing NHL carrer if you ask me. 686pts in 553 games..plus a stanley cup....If Robert does half of that he would be a great pick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Snoopy said:
I would take what ever ISS says with a huge grain of salt.

It's not just ISS scouting saying the talent's there,but the effort hasn't been.

I've read similar comments from McKeen's,an ESPN article ( predicting it'd be a bumpy ride with Nilsson because he needed to grow up) and also hockey forecaster.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Askel said:
Not a dissapointing NHL carrer if you ask me. 686pts in 553 games..plus a stanley cup....If Robert does half of that he would be a great pick
Considering he was probably the most talented european to ever lace them up, those are disappointing stats.

BiLLY

Mar 3, 2002
Nilsson has the talent but the guy has one of the worst attitudes I have ever seen. I was at the WJC and seen Nilsson play in the game for 5th place between Sweden and Finland. It was a close game and in the 3rd period it became obviously Nilsson was not playing. After a few moments a friend of mine noticed Nilsson sleeping on the bench. He sleeped for the entire 3rd period. While he was out of commission Finland scored the tying and game winning goals and he never once opened his eyes. The guy is a joke and a complete waste of talent.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
BiLLY said:
Nilsson has the talent but the guy has one of the worst attitudes I have ever seen. I was at the WJC and seen Nilsson play in the game for 5th place between Sweden and Finland. It was a close game and in the 3rd period it became obviously Nilsson was not playing. After a few moments a friend of mine noticed Nilsson sleeping on the bench. He sleeped for the entire 3rd period. While he was out of commission Finland scored the tying and game winning goals and he never once opened his eyes. The guy is a joke and a complete waste of talent.

and none of the press covering the game noticed Nilsson sleeping?The finnish and swedish fans watching the game at home failed to noticed?

None of team's Sweden's coaches saw or said anything (including the
no nonsense Bendelin(sp)

If you've a link to any credible paper or writer saying 'did ya see Nilsson sleeping during the 3rd period' ....I'd really like to see it.That's usually something fans and the press discuss immediately,calling the player on the carpet.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
CREW99AW said:
and none of the press covering the game noticed Nilsson sleeping?The finnish and swedish fans watching the game at home failed to noticed?

None of team's Sweden's coaches saw or said anything (including the
no nonsense Bendelin(sp)

If you've a link to any credible paper or writer saying 'did ya see Nilsson sleeping during the 3rd period' ....I'd really like to see it.That's usually something fans and the press discuss immediately,calling the player on the carpet.

I've heard of it before, someone else stated it on the IIHF forum, I believe. But I suspect he was just pretending to sleep, as a show of his bad attitude, to protest against not getting played.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
mattihp said:
I've heard of it before, someone else stated it on the IIHF forum, I believe. But I suspect he was just pretending to sleep, as a show of his bad attitude, to protest against not getting played.

I think if Nilsson really fell asleep during a game,the Swedish press and the head coach Bendelin(sp) in particular, wouldn't have been quiet about it.

and if he was pretending to sleep,protesting his lack of icetime... it shows more immaturity on his part.

BiLLY

Mar 3, 2002
Give me somewhere to post the pic. I actually have two of them where its from above and he is just leaning against the glass.

Last edited:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
cagney said:
The hype was huge around a year or two before the draft when many thought he could go first overall. He actually had a better points-per-game average in the Swedish J20 league as a 15 year old than guys like Kopitar and Bergfors have this year as 17 year olds which is pretty amazing. It seems he started to regress before he was even drafted despite the records he set in his draft year (most points as a 17 year old in the hostory of the SEL etc.).
A case of Dan Clearyitus:dunno:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
CREW99AW said:
I think if Nilsson really fell asleep during a game,the Swedish press and the head coach Bendelin(sp) in particular, wouldn't have been quiet about it.

and if he was pretending to sleep,protesting his lack of icetime... it shows more immaturity on his part.
that's what I've been thinking

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
BiLLY said:
Give me somewhere to post the pic. I actually have two of them where its from above and he is just leaning against the glass.

post it here in this thread.

I'm interested in how someone sleeps on the bench,during a game and none of his teammates or coaches notices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad