OT: Robert Guertin Arena scheduled to be demo'd in 2018 - Olympiques future in doubt?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
......damn.

That's one of the best places in the country to watch a junior game. WTF is city council thinking?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yep, really cool place in the playoffs. Wicked atmosphere at those games.

Real shame if they don't come up with a solution.

WhiteLight*

Shame, I really wanted Gatineau to host the 2018 Olympics

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Gotta get something done here, Ottawa/NCR unlike many other NHL cities is a true hockey market that supports hockey of all types from little tykes right up to the pros!

Great barn and atmosphere as others have indicated.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seems like a really odd decision to cancel any funding for a new arena. I haven't been to one of their games this year, but in the past, they always drew a full house, and a good chunk of the crowd was from far enough away to stay the night in the area and spend money in Gatineau. The Olympiques have to be a money maker for both the city and city government. You'd think they'd do something to try and help out the team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Meh, Gatineau supports a majority of habs fans, ill enjoy that city's suffering.

also just don't like Gatineau in general.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This has all the hallmarks of a political football that will be tossed around for the next two years. Get ready for Gatineau Council to reverse and contradict itself multiple times before this is over...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Only caught a snippet of the Marcotte interview on TSN1200 today, but he was talking about how someone had brought up the idea of having a 2nd rink at Lebreton Flats that could host the 67's and Olympiques if/when the Senators ended up breaking ground for a new arena.

I know there would be some hurdles there (OSEG probably wants the 67's to stay at TD Place and olympiques fans may not want to cross the river to watch their team) but it seemed like a decent option if nothing better comes along and the Olympiques look like they're headed out of town.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Only caught a snippet of the Marcotte interview on TSN1200 today, but he was talking about how someone had brought up the idea of having a 2nd rink at Lebreton Flats that could host the 67's and Olympiques if/when the Senators ended up breaking ground for a new arena.

I know there would be some hurdles there (OSEG probably wants the 67's to stay at TD Place and olympiques fans may not want to cross the river to watch their team) but it seemed like a decent option if nothing better comes along and the Olympiques look like they're headed out of town.

This could very well be the case, even though LeBreton is literally 20 seconds across the bridge from downtown Gatineau. But I can see fans make it a matter of principle.

I hope this story has a happy ending. I like going to the Bob. What's the deal with this anti-corruption squad? Any relation to the maple syrop and language police?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
There's a can-do city for you.

It's one thing to decide that you don't want to invest millions in a new arena, but then to vote to demolish and redevelop the land at the current arena??? Are there not enough areas for strip malls and condos in Gatineau as it is? Is there not any need for basic city infrastructure?

Don't understand what's going on there but I hope the 'piques can work something out. It's sounding like Belleville 2.0.

There are plenty of temporary homes on the Ottawa side, but I would think a permanent solution should be in Gatineau itself. The plans for the downtown arena looked great, too bad they couldn't get that done.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Kinda makes sense that the city wouldn't provide the funding since they've taken such a step away from public subsidies for large-scale projects anchored by sports franchises: Lansdowne and Senators-Lebreton.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Kinda makes sense that the city wouldn't provide the funding since they've taken such a step away from public subsidies for large-scale projects anchored by sports franchises: Lansdowne and Senators-Lebreton.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "the city" of Ottawa have nothing to do with an arena in Gatineau, and Gatineau have no relation to Lansdowne?

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Gatineau city council is probably angling for some kind of public-private partnership where they are out-of-pocket for next to nothing, like for the Branchaud-Briere Complex (two rinks and an indoor soccer field only cost the city the ice time they promised to purchase. Really top shelf facility). The problem is, there's no way the Coulliard government in Quebec City kicks in anything right now, and the feds won't be interested in building a QMJHL rink.

Besides, as an Aylmer resident, I can see lots of other things I'd rather my tax dollars be spent on. And yes, I've been to the Bob many times for both Olympiques games and my son's house league practices and games. It will be a shame to lose it.

Sorry for the translation, My French sucks so this is Google Translate.

http://translate.google.ca/translat...-du-complexe-branchaud-briere.php&prev=search

"Grants of $ 10 million from the provincial government and the federal government 6 million will cover almost half the cost of construction, while the City of Gatineau has supported the project by guaranteeing the purchase of $ 784 thousand hours Ice (3000) and hours of use of the synthetic field (900) per year for a period of 15 years. Développement économique - CLD Gatineau is investing an additional $ 500,000, the Caisse Desjardins de Gatineau contribute $ 400,000, while the school Draveurs Commission is involved in the project through a long lease for the land on which the complex will be erected at the Nicolas-Gatineau rear."

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder if that hockey academy over in Clarence-Rockland might put in a bid as a temporary home. Might be a bit small though.

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
There is the Branchaud-Briere Complex in Gatineau. The largest arena in the complex is similar to CIH in Rockland, but it doesn't have wrap-around seating.

This could be a temporary facility for a few years... you wonder if the city is trying to force the Olympiques to relocate here full-time because it's a private facility. Seems like the NCR is done with trying to build rinks with public money.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There is the Branchaud-Briere Complex in Gatineau. The largest arena in the complex is similar to CIH in Rockland, but it doesn't have wrap-around seating.

This could be a temporary facility for a few years... you wonder if the city is trying to force the Olympiques to relocate here full-time because it's a private facility. Seems like the NCR is done with trying to build rinks with public money.

I can't see any chance that the Olympiques play out of such a small arena... I mean, the seating capacity is 1,250. That's TINY.

I mean... look at it:

page_5489899265654851_1392318525.jpg

The Nepean Raiders play in front of bigger crowds than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad