Waived: Rob Scuderi

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Can we stop going on about the Sharp trade? No one was just going to do the Hawks any favors. It was purely a cap dump while trying to get a couple cheap vets. If the vets could have an impact, great. If not, they can be traded/waived.

Garbutt turned into Sekac.
Daley turned into Scuds. Scuds is waived.

The result is we traded Sharp for cap space. I'd do the deal again.

100% agreed. And now we watch who the hawks get with the newly acquired tdl space.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Why? Even after retention Scuderi is a $2.5M cap hit that is effectively an AHL player. Daley, for all his flaws, is still a legit NHL dman.

Think of it this way - it's possible that Daley gets claimed on waivers, at which point there is 0 cap hit. Now the Hawks are stuck with $2.5M for Scuderi, or $1.5M if he's playing in Rockford.

Yeah, they really should have just waived Daley

In hindsight, yes. Think Stan made a mistake here.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
In hindsight, yes. Think Stan made a mistake here.

It as clear that Daley could not be moved without taking back some cap. so Stan took as little as possible, and once that cap was buried, he's left with a lesser amount.

Bowman keeps turning the Sharp trade into increasing his cap space all the time. It has never been about the players.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Daley's cap hit is larger and you can only get 950k of a buried salary. With the RSA even burying Scud would have cost less than burying Daley.

Besdies, Scuderi had better D than Daley could have ever hoped to had--and that's saying a lot.

Scud was what he was, I expected Timmo and basically got it. With the way TVR, Rosie, Goose, and Sved have been playing we're fine for D. Scud was superfluous.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'd pick him up if I had young players and a struggling young defenseman. Look at what he did with Doughty and Letang.

that is a joke right?

Scuderi has been absolutely awful for a year and a half now. I'm not really exagerating when I say some mens league defensemen I've played with are better then him now. He literally dragged down every defensemen he played with in Pittsburgh. The only one that could play with him and not fall off a cliff was Despres.

That said I will say this. The big diff between Chicago and Pittsburgh. Chicago's organization realized they made a goof in about what? 15 games and sent him on waivers. The penguins played him every night and put him out in big situations, all the while us fans who had a clue were left dumbfounded.

Maybe Shero out in Devil land will claim him since he has such a fondness for him...

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
With your logic, you can never blame a GM for making any trade because no GM will come out and say "I had these offers for this player and I picked this one". I guess you can give him the benefit of doubt and say Scuderi was the best he could do.

I'm no BWC. I'm happy with Bowman overall and the job he's done. I just think those were ****** trades.

They were definitely bad trades but when looked at in the context of being salary dumps, they could have turned out worse. And no, that's an illogical extension of my statement because players traded as cap dumps have significantly different value than asset for asset trades.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q doesn't have an irrational fondness for veterans. He has an irrational fondness for random guys.

Random guys that can play in the NHL, sure. Only a few can't, like a John Scott.
And I am not talking about the random guys, I am talking about the posters/tweeters that say he loves his vets and hates young guys.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
that is a joke right?

Scuderi has been absolutely awful for a year and a half now. I'm not really exagerating when I say some mens league defensemen I've played with are better then him now. He literally dragged down every defensemen he played with in Pittsburgh. The only one that could play with him and not fall off a cliff was Despres.

That said I will say this. The big diff between Chicago and Pittsburgh. Chicago's organization realized they made a goof in about what? 15 games and sent him on waivers. The penguins played him every night and put him out in big situations, all the while us fans who had a clue were left dumbfounded.

Maybe Shero out in Devil land will claim him since he has such a fondness for him...

It's not a joke, but a prayer. If you're a Hawks fan, you'll get on your knees, put your hands together, and do the same.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
At the time of the trade when I was saying why did the Hawks even take anything back in return, everyone was saying because we need "veteran" presence in the back end lol. Now its clear what I was saying was spot on, Daley could have been traded for picks with no cap dump, he had a decent contract and is a top 4D. I know many will argue against that but its just the reality. Another dumb move by Stan that will cost the Hawks 2.3M against the cap next year or 1.4M in the minors as no one is stupid enough to take him off Stan. Not to mention less cap space to work with at this year's deadline. Good job Stan! Come out all you white knights and make your lame argument and justifications for Stan the man as he can do no wrong.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Anyone think he may retire? One can dream I guess..

Why would anyone in their right mind retire and just throw so much money in the garbage? He is 37 and even if he knows he cant play he will stick in there just for the cash. Only Stan would take on a 37 year old washed out D man signed for another year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
At the time of the trade when I was saying why did the Hawks even take anything back in return, everyone was saying because we need "veteran" presence in the back end lol. Now its clear what I was saying was spot on, Daley could have been traded for picks with no cap dump, he had a decent contract and is a top 4D. I know many will argue against that but its just the reality. Another dumb move by Stan that will cost the Hawks 2.3M against the cap next year or 1.4M in the minors as no one is stupid enough to take him off Stan. Not to mention less cap space to work with at this year's deadline. Good job Stan! Come out all you white knights and make your lame argument and justifications for Stan the man as he can do no wrong.

There are thread evidence of your view of "others" is just plain wrong. I still don't get peoples desire to continually view their views in contrast to others here like that.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

What are you talking about?

I don't recall a single person being happy that we picked up Scuderi, outside of the fact that he was cheaper. Everybody was well aware that he is/was terrible.

It's a cap league. To make trades work, you frequently need to take salary back so that the team you're trading with can actually fit the piece you're trying to move in.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Why would anyone in their right mind retire and just throw so much money in the garbage? He is 37 and even if he knows he cant play he will stick in there just for the cash. Only Stan would take on a 37 year old washed out D man signed for another year.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend the Scud/Daley trade like it worked out in our benefit, but to sit there and pretend like you know the market for players because you frequent hockey boards doesn't honestly mean ****.

I can't believe that people actually sit on this board and despise a man who has helped turn our franchise around. May I ask who you'd rather have as our GM? And spare your "white knight" argument, its tired. I'm not calling the man perfect, and I don't agree with everything he does, but until we miss the playoffs again people like you just look silly. Wipe the Cheeto dust of your hands and get a life.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014

Your post automatically has no validity by saying "another dumb move by stan".

Hawks needed space and no one would take sharp, who stan was trying to trade for a while. No one would work with the hawks more or less, so stan only got a little cap space plus daley in return. Daley didn't play well here, so stan said see ya and got the next best thing he could, scurderi with 50% retained by pit. Scurderi didn't work out, unfortunately, so stan waived him and said see ya. Now, let's see who gets targeted at tdl and helps the hawks win another cup. And that's all because of Stan's dumb move.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

There were a couple of people at most who said that. Most said it wasn't a great move, but were happy with the cap flexibility.

And no one cares what you think he should have done, because he probably would have just dumped Daley if he could have. No one knows what he could have done, but I HIGHLY doubt he chose Scuderi over a 7th round pick in return.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not gonna sit here and defend the Scud/Daley trade like it worked out in our benefit, but to sit there and pretend like you know the market for players because you frequent hockey boards doesn't honestly mean ****.

I can't believe that people actually sit on this board and despise a man who has helped turn our franchise around. May I ask who you'd rather have as our GM? And spare your "white knight" argument, its tired. I'm not calling the man perfect, and I don't agree with everything he does, but until we miss the playoffs again people like you just look silly. Wipe the Cheeto dust of your hands and get a life.

If anyone here thinks that Daley could not have been sent to a team that was hungry for a top 4 puck moving D with a decent cap hit with no cap dump in return[mod]. Stan only took Scuderi because he thought he could help the team. It seems unbelievable to me to realize that Sharp got us nothing but cap dump in return. All that cheeto talk has no place in here, [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If anyone here thinks that Daley could not have been sent to a team that was hungry for a top 4 puck moving D with a decent cap hit with no cap dump in return is [mod]. Stan only took Scuderi because he thought he could help the team. It seems unbelievable to me to realize that Sharp got us nothing but cap dump in return. All that cheeto talk has no place in here, keep your [mod] comments to yourself bud.

Where could he have been sent for no cap hit in return?

Last edited by a moderator:

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
I HIGHLY doubt he chose Scuderi over a 7th round pick in return.

This. Just this.

His argument is literally the most nonsensical thing I've seen on this board in awhile. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If Stan traded Sharp for picks, then what? He has to rely on rookies and other unproven players he had coming in. If they didn't perform, you'd be sitting here crying about how Stan ruined the team by not getting any proven commodities for Sharp and how he crippled our window for this year and possibly next.

Stan made the smart move, like he most often does. He got cheap, serviceable vets. When it became clear the kids were more than capable, be moved them. Daley was just over useless when he asked for a trade. At that point if Stan could've gotten picks, he would've.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad