Rob Brown - a weird career

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Chris nilan had Ray Bourque on his podcast recently

Rob Brown got brought up in the conversation as the guy that Bourque said always got under his skin, for constantly yapping and trash talking all game.

Bourque usually seemed like he kept everything together and nothing really rattled him, so I thought that was notable, and not something I knew about brown.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I was just reading about the 1986 Memorial Cup, and discovered that Rob Brown started his junior career as a defenceman. His first two seasons in Kamloops were played at defence. Brown moved to centre for the 85-86 season to help his draft prospects, because he wasn't considered big enough to play D in the NHL.

Even in his final two junior seasons Brown would drop back to play defence sometimes to get him more ice time. Ken Hitchcock rode Brown and Greg Hawgood hard. One opponent, remembering that Kamloops team, said it seemed like Brown and Hawgood were everywhere, and like they never came off the ice. Which doesn't really seem on brand for Hitchcock, but I guess you play to your players' strengths.

One interesting thing about the 1986 Memorial Cup was that 3 of the 4 teams were coached by Ken Hitchcock, Pat Burns, and Jacques Martin. All were 33 or 34 years old and on their way up. Martin's Guelph Platers won it all, playing a very disciplined forecheck and keeping one forward high at all times. Commentators said the Platers, in their first season under Martin, played with better structure and discipline than some NHL teams. In contrast, Hitchcock and Burns relied heavily on their scoring superstars - Brown, Hawgood, and Ken Morrison for Hitchcock, Guy Rouleau, Luc Robitaille, and NHL vet Sylvain Cote for Burns' Hull Olympiques. The Platers had some top talent too, with tournament MVP Steve Chiasson and captain Gary Roberts. And the host Portland team had a high-scoring 16 year old Glen Wesley, one year before he was selected #3 overall in the NHL draft.

Hull's owner Wayne Gretzky had some free time after being eliminated in the second round of the NHL playoffs. He stayed with the team, attended all their games, was in the dressing room regularly, and strategized with coach Burns.

Martin got an NHL head coach job with St Louis the very next season, having won the Memorial Cup in his only season as a major junior head coach. Burns got the Montreal head job two years later. Hitchcock had to wait another decade before he got the chance to be an NHL head coach, after some time as an assistant and in the minors.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Was it a poor work ethic that killed him? Because whether he was the "fire hydrant" on Lemieux's line that could have been replaced by anyone, 115 points is still 115 points.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Was it a poor work ethic that killed him? Because whether he was the "fire hydrant" on Lemieux's line that could have been replaced by anyone, 115 points is still 115 points.

The AP article on the trade to Hartford pointed to Brown's lack of speed, marginal defensive play, and poor condition.

1710274496968.png

When Brown was traded from Hartford to Chicago, he wasn't playing much at even strength because of his poor defensive play. Chicago hoped Brown could help their power play.

1710274665579.png

Brown had a brief moment for Chicago in their Edmonton series, but not long after he was in the minors, playing for Ken Hitchcock again in Kalamazoo.

Hitchcock had an interesting perspective on Brown from his junior days. You could tell he knew Brown's motivation might be an issue. "If he doesn't want to pay the price, he'll just end up looking like another ordinary Joe."

1710275038656.png

Even before Brown made the NHL, there were a number of concerns about him.

"The old raps against the 5-foot-11, 186 pound Brown resurfaced: Too small, too slow, too laid-back off the ice. Scouts fretted about his skating..."

1710275106961.png

Brown got up to 197 pounds in Pittsburgh before he was traded.

"He had the work ethic of a welfare fraud during the early part of his career..."

"Everything came too easy to me in Pittsburgh. The first two years were beyond my expectations, and I don't think I realized I had to continue working hard to continue at that level."

1710275208171.png

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

In just 68 games...

Over an 82-game season, that's 139 points!

Reactions: Burkeocet

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Brown had a lot of talent but he got by on talent alone for a bit.. as people pointed out he wasn't dialed in and putting the work in to be in condition and round out his game. He wasn't very fast either and I'm not sure how much fitness would have helped that.. but he definitely had hands.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Mario Lemieux catches a stray in that last article.

"We actually talked to Pittsburgh for a while. But it just came down to LA. I wanted to play with the best, and Wayne Gretzky's here, so..."

This from a guy who scored 115 points on Mario's wing.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
The WHL had so many crazy scoring stats in the 80’s Rob Brown,Dale Derkatch,Cliff Ronning and the immortal Dan Hodgson

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
In just 68 games...

Over an 82-game season, that's 139 points!

And he was 3rd in all-star voting at RW. Behind Mullen and Kurri. Both of whom he outscored, missing 12 games even. So it makes me think that the voters figured he was a little more along for the ride with Mario and that he wasn't the same player as Mullen or Kurri.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Mario Lemieux catches a stray in that last article.

"We actually talked to Pittsburgh for a while. But it just came down to LA. I wanted to play with the best, and Wayne Gretzky's here, so..."

This from a guy who scored 115 points on Mario's wing.
Though, Mario was "retired" going into that season, so maybe it's not necessarily a dig at him.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Brown had a great '93-'94 in Kalamazoo. Ken Hitchcock was the coach. Saw them both in my first live game at Wings Stadium against Phoenix Roadrunners.

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
Brown played two games with no points for the 94-95 Kings that missed the playoffs by 1 point, while racking up 107 points in 69 games at their farm club in Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad