Giancarlo Stanton (2015-17)
.265/.354/.580/.934
113 Home Runs
149 OPS+

JD Martinez (2015-17)
.296/.363/.580/.943
195 Home Runs
148 OPS+

Stanton was hurt in 2015 and barely played. That was the 100 MPH pitch to his face, no? Seems a bit misleading to ignore the time he missed due to that, no?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
sign JD Martinez, figure out the positions later. Really between he and Hanley, 1 plays 1st and the other DH.

even JDM in left isnt a disaster. its not like we were held back the last time we had a sub par LF that could mash the cover off the ball

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Brian Cashman is on record as saying that the Yankees "weren't there yet" last winter when asked why they didn't pursue Sale. If they did and got him they probably win the World Series this year.

Probably depends heavily on whether Aaron Judge and/or Severino were guys going the other way.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
sign JD Martinez, figure out the positions later. Really between he and Hanley, 1 plays 1st and the other DH.

even JDM in left isnt a disaster. its not like we were held back the last time we had a sub par LF that could mash the cover off the ball
JDM has not played one major league start at first base

I guess it's an easy place to pick up

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Rather than being reactionary to the Stanton move, I'd prefer the Sox wait and don't rush to sign JDM, Moustakas, or Hosmer to a long term, high dollar deal. I'd prefer they wait until next year and sign Bryce Harper. So I'd bridge year this season and go all in the following one...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rather than being reactionary to the Stanton move, I'd prefer the Sox wait and don't rush to sign JDM, Moustakas, or Hosmer to a long term, high dollar deal. I'd prefer they wait until next year and sign Bryce Harper. So I'd bridge year this season and go all in the following one...
Bridge shmidge

Kimbrel is up after this year and Sale next.

NESN is a tv station 80% owned by the Henry group. The other 20% is JJ I believe.

The value of the Red Sox & Liverpool is about $4.5 B. He owns both and features regularly on NESN

The Yankees have been ratting you out for apple watches, making snide remarks about your Sale deal and loading up like it's going to rain for 40 days and nights but not on them.

You absolutely sign Hosmer. It's a guy built for Fenway not unlike Fred Lynn. He solves multiple problems at least in my baseball world.

If they keep JBJ ok they are done but I'm open dealing him and signing Martinez and sticking him in left field for 2 years till Hanley vacates DH and hope he can come close to Ortiz

I feel like it's 1973 again listening to talk shows on WHDH and WBZ just blast away on the Red Sox

Betts
Benintendi
Hosmer
Martinez
Ramirez
Devers
Bogearts
Pedroia
Vazquez

This isn't exactly chopped liver

No excuse to roll over to the Yankees

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Bridge shmidge

Kimbrel is up after this year and Sale next.

NESN is a tv station 80% owned by the Henry group. The other 20% is JJ I believe.

The value of the Red Sox & Liverpool is about $4.5 B. He owns both and features regularly on NESN

The Yankees have been ratting you out for apple watches, making snide remarks about your Sale deal and loading up like it's going to rain for 40 days and nights but not on them.

You absolutely sign Hosmer. It's a guy built for Fenway not unlike Fred Lynn. He solves multiple problems at least in my baseball world.

If they keep JBJ ok they are done but I'm open dealing him and signing Martinez and sticking him in left field for 2 years till Hanley vacates DH and hope he can come close to Ortiz

I feel like it's 1973 again listening to talk shows on WHDH and WBZ just blast away on the Red Sox

Betts
Benintendi
Hosmer
Martinez
Ramirez
Devers
Bogearts
Pedroia
Vazquez

This isn't exactly chopped liver

No excuse to roll over to the Yankees

Said bridge because they clearly don't want to cross over the luxury tax threshold for some reason. I don't get it either because they should be over the luxury tax every year. The park is long paid for. Their tickets are one of the highest priced in the sport. The prices they charge for food and drink in the stadium are astronomical. They peddle all sorts of crap at their fan base year round. They're printing money. Yet they don't want to pay the penalty, which is the real reason they didn't go after Stanton. So I don't think they'd drop $200 mill on JDM and then turn around and sign Harper or Machado the following off season. And if the question is JDM/Hosmer/Moustakas or Harper, give me Harper all day long because it's a clown question bro...

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Sox basically have no choice but to go for it this year, right?

I mean, what was the point of the Sale and Kimbrel deals otherwise?

Peter f***ing Chiarelli made this mistake after he traded Seguin but didnt replace Seidenberg. We know how this can go if you decide you don't want to be all in after committing all your chips.

Reactions: DKH and CHRDANHUTCH

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like DKH's plan and I think that's probably theirs too. Sign JD and Hosmer and probably move Bradley for a pen piece and some cash or even prospects. And like Mike says, there is no logic in giving up the farm for guys like Sale and Kimbrel and then wasting their remaining contract years. And don't get me wrong...I think people often overreact to every paper acquisition as though that team is now clearly superior, but in the Yankees case they've certainly created a potent lineup. I don't see how the Red Sox can't commit some serious money here to adding some power themselves.

I continue to think JD is a certainty. Losing out on him would stun me.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Ozuna dealt as well----goes from MIA to St. Louis....

Florida is a dumpster fire..truly.

Source: Marlins trade OF Ozuna to Cardinals

"You would hope ... that MLB would screen the ownership so that we have someone come in and provide additions," agent Scott Boras, who represents Ozuna, said Wednesday. "[Instead], they come in, and they redirect, so you're not a jewelry store that's coveting your diamonds. You become a pawn shop that's trying to pay the rent of the building."

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Bang!

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The agent for Machado and Josh Donaldson is pretty slick.Both are free agents next year and now the better of the 2(age) is being said to want to play shortstop now thus making Donaldson best free agent 3rd baseman.Pretty slick stuff.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Florida is a dumpster fire..truly.

Source: Marlins trade OF Ozuna to Cardinals

"You would hope ... that MLB would screen the ownership so that we have someone come in and provide additions," agent Scott Boras, who represents Ozuna, said Wednesday. "[Instead], they come in, and they redirect, so you're not a jewelry store that's coveting your diamonds. You become a pawn shop that's trying to pay the rent of the building."

never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Scott Boras.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If the Red Sox sign JDM and keep JBJ that puts Hanley at first.

If he can't play enough and reach his 495 plate appearances or whatever their done after this season

I still expect Hosmer - not at Boras 10 years but 5 or 6 at $20+

He's a fit and I don't see what team is as obvious as Boston. I realize his BBIP was very high and a few other red flags but there are many positives and he fits like a glove here. The park is perfect for him.

Martinez would be the first shoe if I'm Boston because they now have leverage if they are interested in Hosmer

I'm sure Boras knows this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad