Road to the Royal Bank Cup

RobbieCap

Dec 19, 2006
The OPJHL teams are undefeated thus far in the Dudley Hewitt. The 2 OP teams face off today, and the 2 nothern teams face off. The loser of Newmarket vs. Oakville will play the winner of Sudbury vs. Dryden tomorrow night.

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007
DOYLE CUP (Pacific)

Camrose leads best of 7 3 games to 1 over Penticton

ANAVET CUP (West)

Humboldt sweeps Portage in 4

DUDLEY HEWITT (Central)

GP W L T
NEWMARKET (Host) 2 2
OAKVILLE (OPJHL) 2 2
SUDBURY (NOHJL) 2 2
DRYDEN (SIJHL) 2 2

FRED PAGE (East)

GP W L T
Pembroke 1 1
Yarmouth 1 1
Sherbrooke 1 0
Pictou 1 0

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
No surprise that Humboldt swept Portage. Humboldt was ranked No. 1 in the country for most of 2008. They lost once in the final two-and-a-half months of the season - in a shootout no less. I think they're a better team that the squad that won the RBC in 2003.

I don't know how Kindersley was able to take them to seven games in the SJHL final. But after Humboldt came back from 3-1 down, I knew they'd cruise over Portage. Too skilled, too deep, and too mature. Most mature, poised Junior A team I've ever seen.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Would someone like to explain to me why the West and Pacific have best of 7 series and and Central and East have 4 team tournaments?
Seems not right for some reason?
Yes an age old debate but I've never gotten a satisfactory answer? Appears to favour West and Pacific in this format IMHO.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Would someone like to explain to me why the West and Pacific have best of 7 series and and Central and East have 4 team tournaments?
Seems not right for some reason?
Yes an age old debate but I've never gotten a satisfactory answer? Appears to favour West and Pacific in this format IMHO.

What really stinks is that the AJHL and BCHL have to face each other each year for the right to advance to the RBC. The two best leagues in Canada (IMO), and one of the teams has to get knocked out each year. Would love to see the MJHL have to face the AJHL and BCHL vs. SJHL for the right to advance, or some other variation from time to time...

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
No surprise that Humboldt swept Portage. Humboldt was ranked No. 1 in the country for most of 2008. They lost once in the final two-and-a-half months of the season - in a shootout no less. I think they're a better team that the squad that won the RBC in 2003.

I don't know how Kindersley was able to take them to seven games in the SJHL final. But after Humboldt came back from 3-1 down, I knew they'd cruise over Portage. Too skilled, too deep, and too mature. Most mature, poised Junior A team I've ever seen.

I watched both team, and I agree that this team is better. While the 03 team had a bit better top end talent, there depth was nowhere near this team on both ends of the ice. Nelson is a better goaltender then Connors was even, when he's on his game

RobbieCap

Dec 19, 2006
What really stinks is that the AJHL and BCHL have to face each other each year for the right to advance to the RBC. The two best leagues in Canada (IMO), and one of the teams has to get knocked out each year. Would love to see the MJHL have to face the AJHL and BCHL vs. SJHL for the right to advance, or some other variation from time to time...

I agree. I think they should all either be 7 game series, or all tournaments. I seem to recall a time, now correct me if I'm wrong, that the NOJHL used to play the OPJHL in a best of 7. I cant remember how long ago this was. But to have 2 good leagues squaring off in 7 games, and then 4 team tournaments elsewhere, where typically you only need to win 3 games to advance to the RBC, where as the best of 7 you need 4 games.

I say make more best of 7 series. Add more teams to the RBC, might as well make it a big tourny.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pembroke is 2-0 with a 7-1 win over the host Pictou and a 3-2 o.t win over Yarmouth in what looks to be a very evenly played game.

Yarmouth beat Sherbrooke 7-4. Outshooting them 47-33.

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan
I watched both team, and I agree that this team is better. While the 03 team had a bit better top end talent, there depth was nowhere near this team on both ends of the ice. Nelson is a better goaltender then Connors was even, when he's on his game

Was Sean Connors the goalie in 03?

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
theres how many junior a levels in canada?
i dont see why they dont have one from each province represent and do a tournament that way

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Was Sean Connors the goalie in 03?

BJ Skalapsky was for the majority of the regular season and some of the playoffs, then suddenly Sean Connors arrived, and absolutely stole the show. Connors was outstanding at playing the puck and seemed unflappable. But Nelson is unbeatable when he's on his game. Both are very good goalies for each team IMO

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007
UPDATE

DOYLE (Pacific)
Camrose leads series over Penticton 3 games to 1

ANAVET (West)
Humboldt sweeps Portage in 4

DUDLEY (Central)
Oakville 3 wins no losses
Newmarket 2 wins 1 loss
Dryden 1 win 2 losses
Sudbury 3 losses

FRED PAGE (East)
Pembroke 2 wins no losses
Yarmouth 1 win 1 loss
Pictou 1 win 1 loss
Sherbrooke 2 losses

Last night saw Pembroke beating Yarmouth in overtime.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
theres how many junior a levels in canada?
i dont see why they dont have one from each province represent and do a tournament that way

Im Pretty sure it goes Maj. Junior-->Jr. A----->Jr. B----->Jr. C
Could be wrong though. Not all provinces have Jr. A leagues. Mjahl has 3 provinces in it, Newfoundland is not represented for obvious reasons, P.E.I only has 2 teams, it wouldnt work to have a team from each province go to a Jr. A playdown.

JumboJoe19

Hank027
Aug 4, 2007
Toronto
Oakville Blades have defeated the host Newmarket Hurricanes and will move on to the royal bank cup.... watch out for #10 on oakville , he scored 10 goals in 4games.

scouting24

Aug 27, 2007
Road To The Rbc Has Been Paved

Humboldt - West
Camrose - Pacific
Oakville - Central
Pictou - East
Cornwall - Host

I Won't Even Bother Trying To Predict Cause All My Predictions To Date Have Been Wrong..........

Best Of Luck To All The Teams........

jman66

Aug 27, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
the pictou county weeks Jr. A crushers won the Fred Page Cup as the host team after coming into the tournament unranked in the canadian Jr. A hockey league top 15 (pembroke - 1, yarmouth - 5, sherbrooke -15 were all ranked). They came back to beat pembroke in the finals (4-1) after losing to them in the opening game 7-1. It was an amazing feat to watch as pictou got better with every game and pembroke seemed to go into cruise control after the convincing first win. They had endured 2 major injuries during the tournament to one forward and one defencemen that were integral parts of the team also (one a decent scoring 3rd liner/inserted into the top 6 quite often and the other a top pairing d-man). Really good hockey, was glad to take time away from work to watch all the games.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Im Pretty sure it goes Maj. Junior-->Jr. A----->Jr. B----->Jr. C
Could be wrong though. Not all provinces have Jr. A leagues. Mjahl has 3 provinces in it, Newfoundland is not represented for obvious reasons, P.E.I only has 2 teams, it wouldnt work to have a team from each province go to a Jr. A playdown.

oh oops. i meant junior leagues like ajhl bchl mjcl and so on.
ive seen junior C, not the greatest i can tell ya that.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
As of right now, Oakville will be without their starting goalie and MVP Scott Greenham. He turned 21 on April 24th and hasn't played a game since, as he would lose a year of eligibility. This is not good news for the Oakville Blades as he was their back bone in the playoffs.

moko00

Dec 24, 2007
As of right now, Oakville will be without their starting goalie and MVP Scott Greenham. He turned 21 on April 24th and hasn't played a game since, as he would lose a year of eligibility. This is not good news for the Oakville Blades as he was their back bone in the playoffs.

If Oakville was smart they would have known the way around that rule... Many other teams know that if they are enrolled full time in a college or university without a varsity hockey team they can still play and be eligble.

HFXMooseHabs

Feb 1, 2004
Halifax
Jr. A crushers won the Fred Page Cup as the host team after coming into the tournament unranked in the canadian Jr. A hockey league top 15 (pembroke - 1, yarmouth - 5, sherbrooke -15 were all ranked). They came back to beat pembroke in the finals (4-1) after losing to them in the opening game 7-1.

Still can't believe New Glasgow is going to the RBC Cup. Nobody, including me, gave them a chance at the FPC. 62% voted they would finish last in a local newspaper poll. Will be interesting to see how they do.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
oh oops. i meant junior leagues like ajhl bchl mjcl and so on.
ive seen junior C, not the greatest i can tell ya that.

There are ten constituent leagues in the CJAHL, four of which are in Ontario. Not including the non-Hockey Canada affiliated league in Toronto, and the WHA Jr. West league, which is probably already dead, and hardly Jr A calibre. A ten team tournament would be impractical.

I'm not sure how you would solve the problem of the two strongest leagues facing each other every year to get to the RBC, however. Unless you want to turn the Pacific and Prairie championships into a four team tournament, with two qualifiers. Though in that case, I think Ontario would have a right to complain as well.

Stoi

May 6, 2004
There is nothing wrong with the Royal Bank tournament. It is fairly balanced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad