Road to Telus Cup 2022 -Cape Breton

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
A discussion on the 2022 Telus Cup and the Atlantic Teams and players that are striving to get there. With battles for Provincial supremacy followed by an Atlantic Championship, 2 Teams will represent the Atlantic Provinces , with one being the Host Sydney Rush.

The Telus has not been in Nova Scotia since 1997 when Thunder Bay took home the title in New Glasgow.

Who's joining the Rush for a chance at U18 hockey supremacy?

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Early predictions for Atlantics, to be held in NFLD, location is TBD
NFLD Host - TBD
NFLD - Growlers (assuming they do not host)
NS - Macs
NB - Flyers
PEI - Knights

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Your predictions in NF and PEI seem pretty likely at this stage. NS and NB could be interesting as the 2nd half of the season unfolds, Mac's and Flyers look to be in tough.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Good points....I am still liking the Flyers to come out of NB, they have some high end skill, excellent depth and very solid goaltending. St John is exceeding my expectations, only seen them play 1 game so far, but your right, they will be tough down the stretch.
Here in NS, your right Mac's are in tough, but I still feel they are slightly deeper then any other team. I have seen them 5-6 times so far, they are running a full bench for the most part and having tremendous success doing so. Things will tighten up and when they do, they will be that much more dangerous.
Cole Harbour is playing well...my fear is they don't have another gear as they are running their horses way to much early in the year.
Valley is an older squad, losing 4 of their last 5 and getting handled easily by both Mac's and Subz tell me they are a step behind.
Rush could be a sleeper...but they are a little top heavy...so when things get tight, not sure they can sustain, but they have a lot to play for this year.
Mac's need to watch over their shoulder for the Subz...they are good, deep up front, some very nice pieces on the back end and solid in net. I can see these 2 teams in the league final...and likely coin flip on the winner.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Good points....I am still liking the Flyers to come out of NB, they have some high end skill, excellent depth and very solid goaltending. St John is exceeding my expectations, only seen them play 1 game so far, but your right, they will be tough down the stretch.
Here in NS, your right Mac's are in tough, but I still feel they are slightly deeper then any other team. I have seen them 5-6 times so far, they are running a full bench for the most part and having tremendous success doing so. Things will tighten up and when they do, they will be that much more dangerous.
Cole Harbour is playing well...my fear is they don't have another gear as they are running their horses way to much early in the year.
Valley is an older squad, losing 4 of their last 5 and getting handled easily by both Mac's and Subz tell me they are a step behind.
Rush could be a sleeper...but they are a little top heavy...so when things get tight, not sure they can sustain, but they have a lot to play for this year.
Mac's need to watch over their shoulder for the Subz...they are good, deep up front, some very nice pieces on the back end and solid in net. I can see these 2 teams in the league final...and likely coin flip on the winner.

I have to admit, the PACK looked real good vs the Mac's last night. They seem to have their #

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Has anyone heard any discussion about this event being pushed out and relocated back to Western Canada for 2022?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Has anyone heard any discussion about this event being pushed out and relocated back to Western Canada for 2022?
Nothing here that I have heard....would this mean that this would be the 3rd year in a row Sydney has lost the chance to host the Telus Cup? What a shame if this were to happen, I can only imagine how much work the host committee has been putting into the organizing such an event.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Just a thought, if the Telus is not moved and Atlantics remains March 31st in NFLD, our NS U18 League is quickly running out of time. Games could start the week of the 14th, leaving just 2 weeks before play-offs....So maybe 4 or 5 games each before play-offs would start. That does not leave much time for the late push for a better seed.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
NS U18 have loaded their final schedule in for the remainder of the season, everyone will play 34 games prior to play-0ffs. The Mac's with 3 of 4 vs SS to end the season have a lock on first place and will have home ice for the entire play off run. I really can't see anyone upsetting them as then push for a Provincial Title and trip to Atlantics.

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Any news on the date for Telus Cup?
Was April 18-24

QC playoffs now on plan to finish April 27

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Any news on the date for Telus Cup?
Was April 18-24

QC playoffs now on plan to finish April 27
Nothing official as of yet, maybe some of the western leagues are working on a final schedule for play-0ffs, which will also play a factor for the earliest possible date.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
U18 AAA Atlantics now officially scheduled for April 21-24th in Paradise Newfoundland.

Some news from the West....
The Western Regional hockey tournament will be played at Virden’s Tundra Oil & Gas Place from April 28 to May 1. The best AAA midget hockey teams of Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northern Ontario – and the host Southwest Cougars – will compete for the elusive spot in the National Telus Cup event, to be played in Calgary, Alta. on May 9 -15.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
NS U18 AAA Play-offs about to start...any upsets coming in round 1 or will the top 4 seeds move on to round 2?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
So we see 2 upsets in round 1 of the play-offs.....Weeks taking down the Subsz with some some grit and fantastic goaltending. If there were any questions surrounding James and his draft projections, he answered the bell in my mind. Great series for the young netminder.

Rush now have a long wait as they are vacation for almost 7 weeks prior to Telus.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
NFLD Host - TBD
NS - Macs
NB - Flyers
PEI - Knights

NFLD Host - TBD
NS - Macs
NB - Flyers
PEI - Knights
Things are playing out as predicted...for the most part.
Knights - no surprise.
Flyers - favored, but I did not see that series going 4 straight
Mac's - Up 2-0 heading to CB for a Friday/Saturday tilt, I don't see CB winning 3 straight.
Growlers - series is tied 1-1 with Tri-pen
Blizzard - Host, lost to Tri-pen in Semi's in a hard fought series.

It all starts next Thursday, April 21st in Paradise., NFLD. Don't count out the NFLD Teams, 2 teams sleeping in their own beds all weekend....that are not to be taken lightly.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Yes impressive win yesterday and nice to see Atlantic Canada compete on the National stage. Flyers have a balanced line up with some strong young talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad