RMU cuts hockey programs

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I think it is more of a way to for the administration to try and save face to say "hey look we tried to save it"

On the chance they are being genuine, there's no way they get it saved for this season. If they're genuine I would want to see announcements about how they're stabilizing their program ahead of a 22-23 return to play.

This is basically straight out of the UAH administration's playbook. They're not going to be able to raise the money to operate both teams for 2021-22 in 14 days, nor will they be able to reach that $7M goal in five years without a ton of effort on behalf of the school's administration and luck. RMU has a total endowment of $30M. They have hardly any donor base. I wish them luck, but it doesn't look good.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This is basically straight out of the UAH administration's playbook. They're not going to be able to raise the money to operate both teams for 2021-22 in 14 days, nor will they be able to reach that $7M goal in five years without a ton of effort on behalf of the school's administration and luck. RMU has a total endowment of $30M. They have hardly any donor base. I wish them luck, but it doesn't look good.
Even if they got flooded with donations and raised whatever amount they want by July 31. Schedules are set, both teams lost a good majority of players, there's no way they would be able to field a team on the ice this season.

I also haven't even seen a stated amount for what they want to have by the end of the month. Hypothetically let's say $3 million in donations pour in right now, without a publicly stated goal the administration could still say "well we tried but we sadly didn't meet our July 31 goal." I think that's the endgame here, this is just a way to save face for the administration, as you said there is no way they get a significant amount within 14 days.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So with the fundraising deadline passed, unless I missed an announcement. Here's the latest on RMU to kind of put a bookend on the summer:

Women's HC Paul Colontino has left, along with some other coaches, the article also gives a clearer picture on the status of players for the men's and women's teams Tim Benz: Departure of women's coach Paul Colontino is latest hurdle for Robert Morris hockey

Edit: Well I just saw this. As expected done for this year, but they'll keep fundraising.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Zig ... Zag ... ???

Robert Morris announces web portal for hockey fundraising efforts

TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021 5:37 p.m.

Robert Morris has introduced a website where supporters of the university’s men’s and women’s hockey programs can make financial pledges to keep the teams from folding.

The goal for the fundraising effort, dubbed “Hockey is the Goal,” is to raise $1.4 million in contributions and $1.4 million in pledges by the end of the fall semester — Dec. 15, 2021 — in order to reinstate the programs for the 2022-23 season.

“We’re encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans, donors, alumni and the hockey community the last few weeks,” RMU athletic director Chris King said in a press release. “We’re confident that collectively we can create a path forward for the eventual return of our NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey programs. I would personally like to express my gratitude to all of the individuals who have supported the Pittsburgh College Hockey Foundation and RMU in pursuit of reinstating both teams.”

The university said the goal of the campaign is to raise enough money to cover the operating expenses for both programs for two seasons and to ensure their financial stability in the long term. The school said stock gifts, corporate matches and other forms of gifts would be welcomed by the campaign. ...

Read more at: Robert Morris announces web portal for hockey fundraising efforts

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Schooley Tabbed As Head Coach/Director of Men's and Women's Hockey Operations
McLaughlin-Bittle named Special Assistant For Hockey Operations

9/7/2021 2:00:00 PM

Moon Township, Pa. – RMU Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris King '94 announced Tuesday that Derek Schooley has been named head coach/director of men's and women's hockey operations.

"Naming Derek as the head coach and director of operations for both teams adds stability as we continue to work with the Pittsburgh College Hockey Foundation in the goal of reinstating both teams," King said. "Derek is synonymous with hockey at Robert Morris and is well-respected in the Pittsburgh hockey community and beyond. Having him in charge of both programs this fall is crucial as we strive for viable solutions and a sustainable financial model to support both programs."

Schooley was named to lead the RMU men's program August 21, 2003, and is the only head coach in program history. He guided the Colonials to six conference tournament championship games and helped RMU earn its first NCAA Tournament berth in 2014. If the RMU men's and women's hockey programs are reinstated, a national search for a women's coach will be conducted. ...

In addition to announcing the hiring of Schooley as head coach and director of hockey operations at RMU, King announced that Brianne McLaughlin-Bittle '11 will serve as a Special Assistant for Hockey Operations. In her role, McLaughlin-Bittle will continue to assist both the Pittsburgh College Hockey Foundation and RMU in their roles of raising funds and help ensure the programs remain financially sustainable for the long term. ...

Read more at: Schooley Tabbed As Head Coach/Director of Men's and Women's Hockey Operations - Robert Morris University Athletics

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Robert Morris celebrity hockey game generates momentum for ‘Hockey is the Goal’ campaign with eye on reinstating men’s, women’s teams

By USCHO Staff
November 18, 2021

The RMU Celebrity Hockey Faceoff, the recent charity hockey game that featured RMU hockey alums facing off against Pittsburgh Penguins alums and Pittsburgh celebrities on November 7, was a great success.

The game featured a sold-out crowd at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, practice rink of the Penguins. The RMU alums won 12-11 in a game that featured a hat trick by former Penguins star Colby Armstrong, two goals by Jacob from “On The Bench,” and some physical play by former Pittsburgh Steelers football player Brett Keisel. Former U.S. Olympians Ryan Malone and Brianne McLaughlin also suited up in support of RMU hockey.

As a result, significant progress has been made in the “Hockey is the Goal” fundraising campaign to reinstate RMU Division I men’s and women’s hockey. The game, including ticket sales and the pre- and post-game online auctions, raised over $65,000. Additional donations have come in bringing the Hockey is the Goal campaign to $738,868 as of Nov. 18 at 10 a.m. ...

Read more at: https://www.uscho.com/2021/11/18/ro...ign-with-eye-on-reinstating-mens-womens-teams/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad