Value of: Ristolainen to Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think a lot of it,and I do mean A LOT of it is goaltending yu can't win with 2 backup goalies

They did have Lehner as their #1 for a couple years in there. Risto shouldn't be a #1 (at least right now. In 3 or 4 years, who knows?), but he is a very good #2 or #3. He would improve Toronto's D immensely. His loss in Buffalo would be significant. Just as Buffalo's main need right now is a 2C (having traded away ROR) their main need if they trade Risto will be a D like Risto.

Too many people have put their faith in the authority of algorithms. I love stats. I am not a statistician, but I have a very strong math background and while it not my specialty I have taught stats off and on at a post-secondary level for years. There is the old saying: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics" which is extremely true. Bad stats are used to bolster weak arguments all the time. We all do this. Some more than others. When I came back to watching hockey after many years away I was thrilled that there were now advanced stats, although they were still in their infancy. But at the same time I knew that the advanced stats folks were saying that they really had no way of adequately assessing D. So then they started making more complicated algorithms to look at things like relative to teammates to get at those questions, but their results are extremely flawed.

So the first question should be - how accurately are advanced stats recorded. Rachel Dorrie has said that when she was working for the Devils their own numbers through their own tracking did not accurately align with publicly available statistics. Having tracked several games myself, I find this to be the case. Even things like simple faceoff wins/losses I have seen just baffling examples of players being awarded wins when, to me, they clearly lost. I have watched games when recorded hits seemed to be completely out to lunch. When it comes to things like CF, SCF, HDCFs that all gets harder to record accurately.

But even if all those stats were recorded completely accurately, these numbers only lead to questions, not answers. Dom L. is a smart guy. I remember reading an article by him a couple years ago in the hockey news about Risto. He looked at the top 3o or 35 D in terms of ice time using a couple metrics and determined that among them Risto was near the bottom in terms of ability, especially defensive ability. He said that he was probably a decent bottom pairing D. Now first of all, being near the bottom in terms of ability of the top 30 or 35 TOI D in the NHL does not make you a 3rd pairing D. He also admitted that Ekholm finished below Risto, but stated that Ekholm was a very good D for reasons that he did not give or explain.

He said that people could make the case that Risto faces harder competition, but his algorithm takes that into account. What algorithm? What does it take into account? How does it take it into account? Two D can face identical QoC with one jumping on the ice every time every time his own team gains possession and jumping off each time his own team loses possession and the other D jumping on the ice every time his own team loses possession and jumping off each time his own gains possession. The OZ starts wouldn't be different either as these are changes on the fly. Completely different situations. The algorithms view them the exact same. One should have great advanced stats and the other horrible advanced stats and they are both completely meaningless.

Dom also said that Risto's Relative to teammates stats were bad compared to the other D on his team meaning that the other D were carrying him and not the other way around. Other advanced stats proponents make this argument all the time. It is a completely dubious argument. If you are the #1D, especially on a bad team, and matched up against the opposing teams top players (which is not the case for #1D on all teams - as many teams simply play their #1D with their own top lines, or even try to match their second pair against the opposing teams' top players - again the algorithms can not account for any of this at all) then your teams' other pairings know that when your opponents' top players hop over the boards either you or your partner (usually which ever is closer) head off so your #1 can go on. In that case whenever you are on with your teams' #1D you are facing tougher competition than when you are not on with him. Of course your relative numbers should show that you are "better" when you are on the ice without him. This is especially the case for weak teams that lack depth on both forward and defense. And we have seen this over and over again with great veteran Ds who play with young inexperienced D where the rookie only plays the easy minutes and the vet is paired with other D for the tougher minutes. Algorithms dramatically over-value the young sheltered D and claim that the very good vet is now bad. This is first year cause and effect stuff when evaluating the validity of statistics that the advanced stats people don't consider. In part that is because while they claim that advanced stats gets rid of bias it doesn't and they are often extremely biased. When the Leafs' acquired Ceci the advanced stats people said, as they had been saying for years, that Ceci was the worst defensive D in the NHL. They were, of course, wrong. Ceci is not a great D (Risto is far better), but he is not a bad D, and he was heavily relied on by Toronto in a defensive role and did very well. The advanced stats people were too biased and closed-minded to change their view. But the sad thing is that Ceci joined a new team with a large chunk of the fan base already having their mind made up about him because of flawed numbers.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They did have Lehner as their #1 for a couple years in there. Risto shouldn't be a #1 (at least right now. In 3 or 4 years, who knows?), but he is a very good #2 or #3. He would improve Toronto's D immensely. His loss in Buffalo would be significant. Just as Buffalo's main need right now is a 2C (having traded away ROR) their main need if they trade Risto will be a D like Risto.

Too many people have put their faith in the authority of algorithms. I love stats. I am not a statistician, but I have a very strong math background and while it not my specialty I have taught stats off and on at a post-secondary level for years. There is the old saying: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics" which is extremely true. Bad stats are used to bolster weak arguments all the time. We all do this. Some more than others. When I came back to watching hockey after many years away I was thrilled that there were now advanced stats, although they were still in their infancy. But at the same time I knew that the advanced stats folks were saying that they really had no way of adequately assessing D. So then they started making more complicated algorithms to look at things like relative to teammates to get at those questions, but their results are extremely flawed.

So the first question should be - how accurately are advanced stats recorded. Rachel Dorrie has said that when she was working for the Devils their own numbers through their own tracking did not accurately align with publicly available statistics. Having tracked several games myself, I find this to be the case. Even things like simple faceoff wins/losses I have seen just baffling examples of players being awarded wins when, to me, they clearly lost. I have watched games when recorded hits seemed to be completely out to lunch. When it comes to things like CF, SCF, HDCFs that all gets harder to record accurately.

But even if all those stats were recorded completely accurately, these numbers only lead to questions, not answers. Dom L. is a smart guy. I remember reading an article by him a couple years ago in the hockey news about Risto. He looked at the top 3o or 35 D in terms of ice time using a couple metrics and determined that among them Risto was near the bottom in terms of ability, especially defensive ability. He said that he was probably a decent bottom pairing D. Now first of all, being near the bottom in terms of ability of the top 30 or 35 TOI D in the NHL does not make you a 3rd pairing D. He also admitted that Ekholm finished below Risto, but stated that Ekholm was a very good D for reasons that he did not give or explain.

He said that people could make the case that Risto faces harder competition, but his algorithm takes that into account. What algorithm? What does it take into account? How does it take it into account? Two D can face identical QoC with one jumping on the ice every time every time his own team gains possession and jumping off each time his own team loses possession and the other D jumping on the ice every time his own team loses possession and jumping off each time his own gains possession. The OZ starts wouldn't be different either as these are changes on the fly. Completely different situations. The algorithms view them the exact same. One should have great advanced stats and the other horrible advanced stats and they are both completely meaningless.

Dom also said that Risto's Relative to teammates stats were bad compared to the other D on his team meaning that the other D were carrying him and not the other way around. Other advanced stats proponents make this argument all the time. It is a completely dubious argument. If you are the #1D, especially on a bad team, and matched up against the opposing teams top players (which is not the case for #1D on all teams - as many teams simply play their #1D with their own top lines, or even try to match their second pair against the opposing teams' top players - again the algorithms can not account for any of this at all) then your teams' other pairings know that when your opponents' top players hop over the boards either you or your partner (usually which ever is closer) head off so your #1 can go on. In that case whenever you are on with your teams' #1D you are facing tougher competition than when you are not on with him. Of course your relative numbers should show that you are "better" when you are on the ice without him. This is especially the case for weak teams that lack depth on both forward and defense. And we have seen this over and over again with great veteran Ds who play with young inexperienced D where the rookie only plays the easy minutes and the vet is paired with other D for the tougher minutes. Algorithms dramatically over-value the young sheltered D and claim that the very good vet is now bad. This is first year cause and effect stuff when evaluating the validity of statistics that the advanced stats people don't consider. In part that is because while they claim that advanced stats gets rid of bias it doesn't and they are often extremely biased. When the Leafs' acquired Ceci the advanced stats people said, as they had been saying for years, that Ceci was the worst defensive D in the NHL. They were, of course, wrong. Ceci is not a great D, but he is not a bad D, and he was heavily relied on by Toronto in a defensive role and did very well. The advanced stats people were too biased and closed-minded to change their view. But the sad thing is that Ceci joined a new team with a large chunk of the fan base already having their mind made up about him because of flawed numbers.

Lehner only really had 1 good year in Buffalo. His 1st year doesn't count he only played 21 games that's not enough.

2nd year was good

3rd year fell of a clif

So I don't think you can give them credit for Lehner especially since some of the talent still on the board included Aho, Konecy and Bosser.

That deal was a disaster

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That's kind of funny that you bring Polak up. Polak scored 21 points all at ES in 1325 minutes in 09/10. Risto's best season is 26 ES points in 1519 minutes. Polak also had 35% OZ starts that year.

They're literally almost identical ES producers at their peaks, even though Polak did it in a lower scoring season. Give prime Polak top-15 leaguewide PP time like Risto gets, and he'd put up 40 points just off touching the puck on the transition and having people put away his point shot rebounds.

To be clear, Roman Polak is one of the least offensively-creative D that I've watched extensively. He's a slapshot on skates in the offensive zone with almost 0 transition game to speak of (unless you count icing the puck as transition), and he is capable of being just as productive as Risto at ES.

This is absolutely hilarious that you think Ristolainen and Polak are equal offensively :laugh:

How can someone be so out of touch?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Lehner only really had 1 good year in Buffalo. His 1st year doesn't count he only played 21 games that's not enough.

2nd year was good

3rd year fell of a clif

So I don't think you can give them credit for Lehner

I am not giving the Sabres credit for Lehner. I am simply saying that Risto also had poor advanced stats playing in front of good goaltending, and this is largely due to the way he has been depended on while playing on a weak team. Risto has flaws. Advanced stats have bigger flaws which is why NHL players don't take them seriously.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am not giving the Sabres credit for Lehner. I am simply saying that Risto also had poor advanced stats playing in front of good goaltending, and this is largely due to the way he has been depended on while playing on a weak team. Risto has flaws. Advanced stats have bigger flaws which is why NHL players don't take them seriously.

But that's the thing only in Lehner 2nd year did Risto truly play with good goaltending 1st year doesn't count he only played 21 games and the 3rd year Lehner was a dumpster fire.

I believe if had a real #1 goalie He'd been seen in a better light

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This is absolutely hilarious that you think Ristolainen and Polak are equal offensively :laugh:

How can someone be so out of touch?

It's weird that Risto is incapable of significantly outscoring Polak's season at ES even though he gets better offensive zone starts in a higher scoring era.

Risto is more "talented", sure, he just hasn't actually done anything with that talent other than put up incredibly mediocre totals for the ice time gifted to him.

If you gave Polak that PP time he would have put up around 40 points too.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Why is this still up? Doesnt look like anyone is talking about Ristolainen anymore, and FWIW I dont want Ristolainen on my hockey team at all.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's weird that Risto is incapable of significantly outscoring Polak's season at ES even though he gets better offensive zone starts in a higher scoring era.

Risto is more "talented", sure, he just hasn't actually done anything with that talent other than put up incredibly mediocre totals for the ice time gifted to him.

Welp, congratulations on losing all credibility. Plenty of god NHL D had about the same ice time as Risto and put up similar or worse numbers as well. Is Polak just as good offensively as these guys too?

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Welp, congratulations on loosing all credibility. Plenty of god NHL D had about the same ice time as Risto and put up similar or worse numbers as well. Is Polak just as good offensively as these guys too?

Feel free to show me who's getting 20 minutes of ES and 4 minutes of PP time and failing to score 40.

You understand there's only 10-15 D that get Risto's PP minutes in any given year right?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Feel free to show me who's getting 20 minutes of ES and 4 minutes of PP time and failing to score 40.

You understand there's only 10-15 D that get Risto's PP minutes in any given year right?
Just last season:

Doughty: 35pts in 67 games
Klefbom: 34 in 64 games
Keith: 27pts in 61 games
Giordano: 31pts in 60 games
These guys all played more minutes both ES and PP than Risto.
There’s a whole bunch more playing right around the same on the same pace. But apparent Polak is as good as these guys too. It’s almost like D will get more points if there forwards are any good? Which clearly Buffalo does not.

Going back to 18/19 which was probably Risto worst season:

Jones: 46 in 75 games
Doughty: 45 in 82 games
Edler: 34 in 56
Petroangelo: 41 in 71
Spurgeon: 43 in 82
OEL: 44 in 82

All these played very similar ice time and PP time to Ristolainen. Polak is just as good offensively as these guys too?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

That final line is completely ridiculous

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I believe if had a real #1 goalie He'd been seen in a better light

Sure. But if the Sabres had a real #1 goalie, or if they had a better partner for Risto, or more forward depth then the team would be better and they would never think about trading their best D to fill holes.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That final line is completely ridiculous

He had the same production at ES with no PP time, why would he fail to score 15 additional points getting 4 minutes a night on the PP? Hainsey did it, why not Polak?

40 points is not impressive when you average 20 mins of ES and 4 mins of PP time, most defensemen in the league could do it if they were put in a position that they had to play those minutes. The biggest compliment for Risto here is that he has the physical conditioning to consistently play those minutes, that doesn't mean he's doing anything special with them.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He had the same production at ES with no PP time, why would he fail to score 15 additional points getting 4 minutes a night on the PP? Hainsey did it, why not Polak?

40 points is not impressive when you average 20 mins of ES and 4 mins of PP time, most defensemen in the league could do it if they were put in a position that they had to play those minutes. The biggest compliment for Risto here is that he has the physical conditioning to consistently play those minutes, that doesn't mean he's doing anything special with them.

I see you’re just blatantly ignoring the list of players who played more/similar ice time to Ristolainen and scored the same pace. So Polak is also just as good offensively as Doughty, Keith, Petro, Giordano, Jones, edler, OEL, etc?

He also has not “averaged” 4mins of PP time. He came kind of close to that one season and other than than has been 3min and even less than that this past season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

His career high is 21, and I had to look that up I didn't think he ever hit 20 points but e hit 21 once.

So you are suggesting he could nearly double tha.

No he didn't have that levell of offense if he did he'd making close to 6 million right now

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
His career high is 21, and I had to look that up I didn't think he ever hit 20 points but e hit 21 once.

So you are suggesting he could nearly double tha.

No he didn't have that levell of offense if he did he'd making close to 6 million right now

If you ignore that he had 0 PP points this might almost be a point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know. But that means Polak is worth only a 2nd, Torres and a 2nd, or 2 2nds. By his logic, Polak and Risto are equal. Therefore that’s Risto’s value.

You see where the problem lies here.

Yes, yes I do, if Risto could be ha for a 2nd he'd be in Toronto right now because Dubas would have jumped at that at the deadline when the two teams spoke

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you ignore that he had 0 PP points this might almost be a point.
Just last season:

Doughty: 35pts in 67 games
Klefbom: 34 in 64 games
Keith: 27pts in 61 games
Giordano: 31pts in 60 games
These guys all played more minutes both ES and PP than Risto.
There’s a whole bunch more playing right around the same on the same pace. But apparent Polak is as good as these guys too. It’s almost like D will get more points if there forwards are any good? Which clearly Buffalo does not.

Going back to 18/19 which was probably Risto worst season:

Jones: 46 in 75 games
Doughty: 45 in 82 games
Edler: 34 in 56
Petroangelo: 41 in 71
Spurgeon: 43 in 82
OEL: 44 in 82

All these played very similar ice time and PP time to Ristolainen. Polak is just as good offensively as these guys too?

I’ll leave this here for you again, since you must keep missing it since you keep going on about Polak being just as good :laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I know. But that means Polak is worth only a 2nd, Torres and a 2nd, or 2 2nds. By his logic, Polak and Risto are equal. Therefore that’s Risto’s value.

You see where the problem lies here.

What exactly do you think Risto would return in a trade? Certainly less than Muzzin considering they both had a year left on their contracts and Muzzin is considerably better than Risto. 2 2nds and a prospect/pick worth less than a 1st is right around his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad