In Memoriam RIP Talkinaway ( Peter Conley 1977 - 2021 )

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I just got off the phone with Peter's Mom.

There was no warning and it happened quickly. :cry:

He had a full physical in April and everything looked fine but........ She said he simply wasn't old enough that they would do advanced heart testing that might have caught it and they elected not to have an autopsy.

She told me she and her husband were big Bruins fans during the Orr years and how much Peter enjoyed the games, having season tickets and talking to others about the game. He gave up his tickets because of his COVID-19 concerns.

She told me she and her husband were comforted by hearing how much her son meant to our HF Bruins community.

Because of COVID-19 concerns, there will not be a memorial service at this time.

Thanks Kev……

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

He had a full physical in April and everything looked fine but........ She said he simply wasn't old enough that they would do advanced heart testing that might have caught it and they elected not to have an autopsy.

She told me she and her husband were big Bruins fans during the Orr years and how much Peter enjoyed the games, having season tickets and talking to others about the game. He gave up his tickets because of his COVID-19 concerns.

She told me she and her husband were comforted by hearing how much her son meant to our HF Bruins community.

Because of COVID-19 concerns, there will not be a memorial service at this time.
Thanks for this info. I am glad you were able to reach out to his parents

Terrible. His poor family.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Thanks for reaching out Fenway.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I was just having a quick look at Peter's Twitter account and the thing that struck me is the sheer normality of it and the suddenness with which the posts stop - there's just regular content, plenty of hockey-related comments as you'd expect and other everyday stuff, up to and including two completely unremarkable posts on the day he passed away...and then nothing. Really brought home the fragility of life and the way things can go from normal to very much not in the blink of an eye.

As a species we crave control and certainty, but we really don't have any. All we can do is make the most of today and however many more 'todays' we have, and just, I don't know, just be good, and kind, and thankful, and do our best with what we have. I know so little about Peter's life but the kindness part he definitely had down, and his education and learning were obvious, and those alone are cause for celebration and some comfort that he'd enjoyed and made the most of the all-too-short time that he had on this earth. May he rest well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was just having a quick look at Peter's Twitter account and the thing that struck me is the sheer normality of it and the suddenness with which the posts stop - there's just regular content, plenty of hockey-related comments as you'd expect and other everyday stuff, up to and including two completely unremarkable posts on the day he passed away...and then nothing. Really brought home the fragility of life and the way things can go from normal to very much not in the blink of an eye.

As a species we crave control and certainty, but we really don't have any. All we can do is make the most of today and however many more 'todays' we have, and just, I don't know, just be good, and kind, and thankful, and do our best with what we have. I know so little about Peter's life but the kindness part he definitely had down, and his education and learning were obvious, and those alone are cause for celebration and some comfort that he'd enjoyed and made the most of the all-too-short time that he had on this earth. May he rest well.

Reading I could LOL while crying

https://twitter.com/talkinaway?lang=en

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
His final tweet caused me to lose it

upload_2021-8-10_19-46-38.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

So glad you were able to talk to his mom and they know how much we all loved Peter.

I am now angry on top of being sad.

I’m so tired of these age restrictions on things. Far too many young people are being diagnosed earlier and earlier for heart issues and certain cancers.

End rant.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Gee Wally - One thing I am certain of - Fugu would have loved Peter.

What hurts me the most is I really thought he could be the Bruins historian for the current generation.

He loved helping Bruins fans and out-of-towners deal with the byzantine way tickets are distributed.

When we decided another Mod was needed my list was very short and I am so happy he accepted.

This is what he wrote when he did

tka.JPG

He came aboard as a Mod when our COVID-19 thread had become to be kind, a toxic landfill. I'll never forget that.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I am heartbroken to make this announcement.

Talkinaway suffered a heart attack and passed in July and his obituary was published this weekend.

PETER JAMES CONLEY Obituary (1977 - 2021) Boston Globe

He was one of our most active posters and we were thrilled when he accepted our invitation to become a Mod.

I sensed something was wrong as he last logged in on the day he died and he was missing from an online trivia game at roughly the same time he stopped posting here.

He was only 44.

RIP Peter

I certainly recognized his name on here but didn't chat with him much.
44 is SO young. RIP Peter. Condolences to your whole family and those here who knew him more than I did.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I am heartbroken to make this announcement.

Talkinaway suffered a heart attack and passed in July and his obituary was published this weekend.

PETER JAMES CONLEY Obituary (1977 - 2021) Boston Globe

He was one of our most active posters and we were thrilled when he accepted our invitation to become a Mod.

I sensed something was wrong as he last logged in on the day he died and he was missing from an online trivia game at roughly the same time he stopped posting here.

He was only 44.

RIP Peter

Oh man. So young. He was a great poster/HF Boards member. You'll be missed Peter. Thoughts are with his family.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Blessings to his family. One of the good ones for sure, and part of the olde guard.

Life is way too short. Do not waste time on things that don't support you or bring you absolute joy.

Comfort to all.
Thanks for the reminder

everything should be based around what brings you joy

Peter was a gem

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I am heartbroken for his family - both his blood family and for this family as well. I feel like we’ve been saying this too much around here lately, but make sure your loved ones know how much you love them, because we never know when our (or their) time might come.

May the Lord bless him and keep him.

Go easy, brother.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Typically well said.

I would only add that today, never mind tomorrow, is not guaranteed. Bad things happen to good people, which is why I'm an agnostic.

The most subversive thing you can do is to be a good person. Generosity of spirit, kindness, thoughtfulness. These traits are not rewarded in this world, but matter most nonetheless.

I suspect Peter Conley believed the same.

Thank you Fenway for talking with his mom, and it is good to know she realizes how many appreciated her son in this space.

Rest well Peter. We send the good thought to your family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad