Blue Jays Discussion: RIP Roy Halladay (1977-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Regardless of whether its the right move, how can you justifiably hire a guy who ditched you at the first chance he could for his 'dream job?'

Unless he has to crawl through the Mr. Burns supplicant hole and its broadcast on Sportsnet in which case all is forgiven.

Personally, that's exactly how I feel. But, since it happened several years before anyone currently in a position of power had joined the organization, I wouldn't be surprised if they felt differently. That's why I mentioned the "placating the fans" part; they're really the only ones who have reason to feel scorned.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think games are going way too long. The time slot is 8 to 11, it's already past 11 and we're only in the bottom of the 6th. Bullpens being so active has really slowed down the game. So many pitching changes during any given playoff game.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think games are going way too long. The time slot is 8 to 11, it's already past 11 and we're only in the bottom of the 6th. Bullpens being so active has really slowed down the game. So many pitching changes during any given playoff game.

Having 40 baserunners over 8 innings certainly won't help speed the game up.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
MLB really ought to go to 7 game playoffs in round 1. Some of these series are incredible. Even NBA did it a few years ago, despite most of their first round matchups being non-contests.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
MLB really ought to go to 7 game playoffs in round 1. Some of these series are incredible. Even NBA did it a few years ago, despite most of their first round matchups being non-contests.

But then the WS will go well into November. I wouldn't mind if they cut 30 games and have the playoffs in Sep. Not gonna happen, though.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So, when do the Nats start looking for a new GM? This offseason? Next one (don't extend Rizzo)? They only have one more year with Harper.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
But then the WS will go well into November. I wouldn't mind if they cut 30 games and have the playoffs in Sep. Not gonna happen, though.

It'd just add 3 days or so to the post-season (I'm not suggesting that they extend the wildcard to 7 games, just the first round). They can easily just cut spring training by a few days and start the season a week earlier. The NBA just did something similar by shaving a few games from the preseason to give a few extra rest days during the season.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I would love a division round with no days off but I understand the need for travel days, if the Jays were playing the Mariners or Angels it would be a tough trip, but they do it in the regular season. The only problem would be rain outs, nice to have the spare days for that. Maybe have one off day between games 4 and 5. Then in the ALCS have an off day between games 5 and 6.

I would just like to see teams have to go deeper into their rotations and bullpens. The top guys are getting way too much rest and it allows for these bullpen games to start in the third inning.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Man, if I was a Nats fan this morning, I'd be pissed. They went to the league for two replays - a clear takeout slide at 2nd that got called roughly 100% this season but for some reason is fine now, and then that pickoff at first where you needed CSI-level type investigation with multiple spliced angles just to show that the runner was maybe out, and that was enough to overturn the call on the field?

Cubs-Dodgers is a dream matchup for MLB, but that was just wrong.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
How convenient the four largest North American markets represented in the MLB playoffs. MLB is loving this. The rich get richer!!!!

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
The non-overturn on the takeout slide that lead to the winning run being scored was a horrific call. It was clear as day that the runner whipped his legs underneath the runner.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

They could easily reduce spring training by a couple of weeks and start the season earlier. There are enough dome/warm weather teams to have an earlier start to the season. I wouldn't mind seeing two more wild cards added to each league and have three straight days of single elimination wild card games with the two AL games one day, the two NL games the next day and the two final games the third day. The division winners would then all get the benefit of four days off to set their playoff rotations and rest their bullpens.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Man, if I was a Nats fan this morning, I'd be pissed. They went to the league for two replays - a clear takeout slide at 2nd that got called roughly 100% this season but for some reason is fine now, and then that pickoff at first where you needed CSI-level type investigation with multiple spliced angles just to show that the runner was maybe out, and that was enough to overturn the call on the field?

Cubs-Dodgers is a dream matchup for MLB, but that was just wrong.

The more I see instant reply in baseball, the less I like it. A long time ago I was a firm proponent of: "Use the technology to make sure the call is right." But, after seeing it in practice for a few years now, there are just two many examples of it not being clear, which leads to confusing and bizarre outcomes.

I'm at the point where I want to see extreme limits on the use of replay. Scoring plays only (homeruns and plays at the plate) and one manager challenge per game and that is it. No extra challenges if one is successful and no umpire challenges.

The whole point of replay was to eliminate the whole: "Horrible call by umpire costs X Team game/pennant/series/etc." But instead, we're now seeing: "Bizarre call by replay official costs X Team game/pennant/series/etc."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Population wise, yes. TV market\fanbase wise, no. Ratings wise, no.

The biggest draws in terms of ratings are NY\BOS\LA\CHI

And none of their ratings come anywhere remotely close to the Jays. The league just doesn't care how many Canadian fans are watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad