News Article: RIP Dutchy

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He wasn't in front of the cameras much the last 10-15 years or so, at least not on anything I watched. Obviously did a lot of work behind the scenes, but man, he was gifted as a sportscaster. I don't think there was a more beloved character on any network he was on. Had a great sense of humour, but it was never mean spirited. I remember seeing all the people (guys and gals) he worked with, absolutely cracking them up on air with his crazy sense of humour. He may have been born and raised in Saskabush and graduated to the big leagues of TO, but I'll always consider him one of "ours" in good old Edmonchuk.

I know at one point, he obviously got into the body building, because I remember him as a scrawny smart assed punk looking kid, and next thing you know, he's wearing suits that are tearing at the seams, Hulk style. He might have been using some 'roids at some point, and I sure hope that didn't play a part in his eventual demise.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just the other night I was watching TSN and thinking I hadn’t seen Dutchy for a while and wondered how he was doing. I remember when he came back but never heard much about him after. I was surprised to read today that it was in 2022 when he did come back. It didn’t seem like that long ago. Very sad news. He was an original and lots of fun to listen to. RIP.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This is just gutting news. It’s hard for those who are maybe a bit younger to fully comprehend what he meant to us back in the itv days. In 1988 we didn’t get much tv coverage and he was who we relied on every evening. He brought such a different voice and approach to things and I watched him every night I could and looked forward to the weekly highlights package. He was an incredible talent and by all accounts the same as a human. Tough loss.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
After seeing all the news on Dutch, I am curious what happened to the other ITV guys from the 80's and 90's. Al Nagy, Greg Musselmen and Bruce B

Reactions: brentashton

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
After seeing all the news on Dutch, I am curious what happened to the other ITV guys from the 80's and 90's. Al Nagy, Greg Musselmen and Bruce B
Al Nagy went into financial services

Greg M went into missionary work. He is with Voice of the Martyrs. Support him if you can.

I think Bruce B is working with the jets (or was).

Reactions: brentashton

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Al Nagy went into financial services

Greg M went into missionary work. He is with Voice of the Martyrs. Support him if you can.

I think Bruce B is working with the jets (or was).

Bruce became a real estate agent and wrote a book titled

"There and Gone: The Fascinating Story of a Sports Broadcaster"

Perry Solkowski worked for TSN in Vancouver until the Bell layoffs in 2021. Now, he owes PSMedia, doing local area minor sports. He does have Facebook and X accounts but hasn't posted on them in the last couple of years. I would imagine he's reached out to Dutchy's family.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RIP Dutchy. From others here sounds like you were one for the ages.

I used to work two jobs pretty habitually so I pretty much lost much of what occurred in the 90's or even early millenium and missed almost everything that other people would view on TV. That said I remember Dutchy and Solkowski on ITV years ago and they both seems like solid nice guys. I detested TSN as a broadcaster and their general type of production and some of the personalities there. I never got into watching that station, like never. So I probably missed most of the guys work.

On the sub topic of Cancer a lot of people focus on detection, on screening, getting tests and that kind of thing. More focus could be had on prevention as well and getting antioxidants in diet, eating healthy, living healthy, cutting out smoking, vaping and limiting smoked meat, too much red meat etc.

A story here from Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath. Guy is a vegetarian his whole life. probably live to age 90 despite abusing his body in other ways. he watched Ronnie James Dio dying and Dio had finally started to enjoy vegetables late in life, too late. he said if he ate like Butler maybe he would have fared better. Dio used to eat meat, with sides of meat and meat. Stomach cancer. All the stories on him focus on detection, how he ignored signs etc. Unfortunately the mans diet was pretty unhealthy. We're not actually carnivores.

I dunno, this is the other side, maybe people don't want to hear all you can do to lessen risks of cancer, but its all there for people to read, make changes, adjustments and learn to love healthy foods as well. I'm no vegetarian but I have experimented and i eat far less meat than the average bear. hehe my plates loaded up with healthy veggies, small portion of meat. preferred that all my life. Last thing as Raspberries, Saskatoons, Blueberries etc all great antioxidants. have them almost daily and Raspberries particularly less sugar content and pure good for you. We have tons of Raspberry canes out back. We never run out of Berries here. They grow so easily and easy enough to pick. Berries are in the prairies man. If you make one change start growing them or finding where they grow and picking them. Wonder foods. Don't buy them in the store, you'll pay a fortune. Especially Raspberries which literally grow wild here along with the other Berries I mentioned.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad