RIP Bud Collins

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He was terrific, I always enjoyed watching Wimbledon when he was there.

May he rest in peace.

I have no idea who he really was, as a person, but I always thought he was enthusiastic in the way Bob Ryan remains enthusiastic. And he just seemed like a nice person.

Used to love Wimbledon back in the 80s.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Class act.

Very few people in media today seem to enjoy their job as much as he did.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I met him a couple of times when they used to play the US Pros at Longwood

Genuinely good guy who loved the game of tennis. Knew how to promote the game and in so doing became a fixture on NBC.

I look at tennis today with its assembly line of players that keep coming out and miss the personalities like Bud.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I met him a couple of times when they used to play the US Pros at Longwood

Genuinely good guy who loved the game of tennis. Knew how to promote the game and in so doing became a fixture on NBC.

I look at tennis today with its assembly line of players that keep coming out and miss the personalities like Bud.

That's my biggest complaint about tennis today. Sure they're much better athletes but man are they boring.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
[/B]

That's my biggest complaint about tennis today. Sure they're much better athletes but man are they boring.

I can not deal with the grunting :help:

Bud was bitter on how pro tennis abandoned Longwood when pros could finally compete in all the tournaments as for years Longwood and WGBH were their biggest backers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
[/B]

Me too.

I really enjoyed the game in the 70s and 80s.

Jimmy Connors, Borg, Becker, Johnny Mac (God what a jerk on the court). Chris & Martina. Stefi Graf.

I really miss Gabriela Sabatini, too. :D

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can not deal with the grunting :help:

Bud was bitter on how pro tennis abandoned Longwood when pros could finally compete in all the tournaments as for years Longwood and WGBH were their biggest backers.

God, isn't the grunting awful? I suppose it's "sexist," but it's distracting (doubtless deliberately so) and very unattractive.

I blame Monica Seles. :rant::cry::laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DAN SHAUGHNESSY
The inimitable Bud Collins was all aces

Bud’s wealth of wit and expertise was not reserved for tennis alone. He delighted in telling us of the night drunken Red Sox manager Mike “Pinky†Higgins smashed Bud’s face into a plate of beef stroganoff.

Bud covered the 1967 Red Sox Impossible Dream season. I still have the Globe’s Page 1 featuring Jim Lonborg being carried off the field after he beat the Twins on the final day of the regular season. Under the photo is a story headlined, “Sox Barely Escape Screaming, Streaming Fans,’’ written by Bud Collins.

The last time I saw Ted Williams in Hernando, Fla., an ailing Teddy Ballgame asked about Bud and said, “You tell him he’s the greatest tennis commentator of all time! He’s such an ambassador for that sport. He’s just great. And I remember he wrote a lot of crap about me, too!’’

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Met Bud when he was interviewing my buddy the Alabama Slammer Bryan Shelton after Bryan won The HOF tournament down in Newport.

Bud was a guy who loved what he did, and especially he loved tennis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad