Prospect Info: Riley Bruce (7th Round 2015, 196th Overall)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Probably would have been better off picking a RW in with this pick, but meh, we can worry about forwards in the '16 draft.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Probably would have been better off picking a RW in with this pick, but meh, we can worry about forwards in the '16 draft.

I agree, there is a good chance that this kid would have gone through two drafts undrafted and then you can sign him. Unless there is something that scouts see in him that they think may translate but from the outside looking in it looks like they took him solely because he's a large body. Hopefully those able to make developmental camp will be able to see the reason why he was chosen and let the rest of us know. :teach2:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ugh, I know it's a 7th round pick but they could really have done better. I still wish they'd taken David Jankowski.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I agree, there is a good chance that this kid would have gone through two drafts undrafted and then you can sign him. Unless there is something that scouts see in him that they think may translate but from the outside looking in it looks like they took him solely because he's a large body. Hopefully those able to make developmental camp will be able to see the reason why he was chosen and let the rest of us know. :teach2:

This is why he was taken - the team of professional scouts employed by the Calgary Flames have 1) actually seen him play, and 2) determined that he was BPA at their turn to pick.

I understand why this is so difficult to understand because all we have to go by is a stat line and one "highlight reel" goal, but there is actually a reason that the team has a scouting staff.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
They can a pass on drafting the TPA (tallest player available) after the rest of the draft. Never saw him play but obviously this is a case where stats and scouting reports speak for themselves. He's a project's project.

The problem with projects is whats the upside here? Probably someone we can add as a FA. A tall defenseman with no offensive game. Hal Gill? And we have to invest and develop 4+ years.

I don't know if there were better options out there, but the principle doesn't make sense to me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They can a pass on drafting the TPA (tallest player available) after the rest of the draft. Never saw him play but obviously this is a case where stats and scouting reports speak for themselves. He's a project's project.

The problem with projects is whats the upside here? Probably someone we can add as a FA. A tall defenseman with no offensive game. Hal Gill? And we have to invest and develop 4+ years.

I don't know if there were better options out there, but the principle doesn't make sense to me.
You won't find many 7th round picks that don't take 4+ years to develop

Aug 21, 2014

He wasn't though, Pavlychev's 6'7 and was picked right after. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't hate this pick, simply because it's a seventh rounder.
I mean, in the seventh round you get stuff like Brodeur drafting.. Brodeur. It's mostly just throwing darts at a dart board at this stage; pick a kid who can be a long term project, even if his ceiling is a 7th defensemen or AHL player.

Kind of a weird kid (size, no snarl); but hey, it means a scout saw something they liked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad