Prospect Info: Riley Bruce (7th Round 2015, 196th Overall)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Bruce,%20Riley.png

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=98643

He has nice hair.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Whom?

Also - that commentator sounds like he's trying to sing.

"Bruce, yeah, Bruce from the, yeah, Bruce from the point he scores, yeah!"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The lack of points says he has little offensive game, the lack of PIM indicates he is not overly physical/doesn't use his size. I can't say I am terribly excited about this pick right now. At absolute best he will be Bouwmeester without the puck skills.

Aug 21, 2014
The lack of points says he has little offensive game, the lack of PIM indicates he is not overly physical/doesn't use his size. I can't say I am terribly excited about this pick right now. At absolute best he will be Bouwmeester without the puck skills.

So a big smooth skating d-man who eat minutes? Steal of the draft. :laugh:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
This is the only pick in the draft I really didn't agree with

+
He's big

-
Not confident on offense with a weak shot
Not tough to play against in his own zone
Not the best awareness defensively
Not great mobility at his current level

At least we were finally able to get a young D this draft
...wait didn't we acquire 3 before the end of round 2? Was no one who plays RW available? Could we offer nothing to move this up to the end of round 6 and take a really solid russian RW out of Sarnia? Was there anyone thinking of leaving college or dominating his draft+1 season we could have locked for a camp invite?

I'm sure he's a nice kid but I feel like everything he does Kanzig does better and Keegan isn't really a top 10 D prospect for us.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Clearly the scouts saw something that they liked with this kid. I won't pretend to understand the pick or defend it though.

I heard in interviews Treliving talked about "checking boxes" adding speed, size and skill to our team. I agree that they obviously saw potiential here, but I also think drafting him checked a box on their draft to do list.

I hope I'm wrong, I'm not excited about this kid but I also know nothing about him :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I heard in interviews Treliving talked about "checking boxes" adding speed, size and skill to our team. I agree that they obviously saw potiential here, but I also think drafting him checked a box on their draft to do list.

I really doubt that's how it works or how that's meant to be interpreted. :laugh:

I agree with Stewie. Their scouts saw something there... some reason to expect him to, or at least some reason to hope that he can, get suddenly a lot better. Did he maybe just finish an extended growth spurt?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really doubt that's how it works or how that's meant to be interpreted. :laugh:

I agree with Stewie. Their scouts saw something there... some reason to expect him to , or at least some reason to hope that he can, get suddenly a lot better. Did he maybe just finish an extended growth spurt?

There's no way I'll be able to find it, but I've heard Treliving talk about the draft. He said there are some years where they won't take a goaltender for example unless in that off year he is clearly BPA. They usually have an idea in the later rounds of how many defenders and forwards they will be selecting. Again, their goal was to add size, skill and speed, that's what I mean by box checking.

If they had it that they wanted 1 more dman, and Bruce happened to have to size and possess size as a quality, well they checked a box in taking him. Of course it's not as black and white as checking boxes but I meant he fit their agenda for the draft.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's no way I'll be able to find it, but I've heard Treliving talk about the draft. He said there are some years where they won't take a goaltender for example unless in that off year he is clearly BPA. They usually have an idea in the later rounds of how many defenders and forwards they will be selecting. Again, their goal was to add size, skill and speed, that's what I mean by box checking.

If they had it that they wanted 1 more dman, and Bruce happened to have to size and possess size as a quality, well they checked a box in taking him. Of course it's not as black and white as checking boxes but I meant he fit their agenda for the draft.

And I'm jut saying that, yes, they wanted to make sure that they add size and skill to the roster, but unless they feel that the player can one day join the Flames, then picking the player doesn't check any box at all. So they have to feel that, not only does he have size, but the Flames will get to employ that size one day.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I've never seen him play, well by intent anyway, but given his +/- change without putting up points perhaps that tells us about his improvement defensively and him being an asset to his team. Seems a lot like the situation Kanzig was in to an extent when he was drafted.

Aug 21, 2014
Honestly I was hoping they picked the Russian the Penguins picked right after us. (Nikita Pavlychev) 6'7 Center headed to Penn state. But oh well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers fan here in peace.

This guy is a long-term project who Calgary picked just for the size. The Jay-Bo comment was funny because right now this guy is Bouwmeester if Jay had never put on skates.:laugh: He's been in the OHL for two full seasons but has yet to show confidence in either zone.

Positively there was some improvement in his game late this season and he has begun to show willingness to throw the body. Riley's going to be a mainstay in the Battalion lineup this season barring a trade and will likely be on the bottom pairing. Stan Butler runs a tight ship and seems to be focused on getting Bruce and fellow defenseman Kyle Wood utilize their size more often.

I wouldn't be shocked to see more improvement in his game this season but I think he's a player to be cautiously optimistic about considering how slowly his development has come along over the past couple seasons.

Buchanan*

Clearly the scouts saw something that they liked with this kid. I won't pretend to understand the pick or defend it though.

Definitely. When I saw the size + the low pims + offensive stats, I was intrigued.

Hopefully he's a Boumeester like skater

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
it's bad when the best thing said about him is in regards to his hair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad