Rights of Undrafted 16 Year Olds?

jslmsca

Apr 2, 2016
I'm wondering about the rights of a 16 year old that goes undrafted. Assuming he makes a CJHL team (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, etc.) on a tryout, is he eligible to be signed by a CHL team at any time? I'm assuming if he plays in the AJHL he can't be signed by a team in the OHL, correct? Do the same rules apply to an American as a Canadian?

Thanks.

AllthingsHCKY

May 26, 2016
I'm wondering about the rights of a 16 year old that goes undrafted. Assuming he makes a CJHL team (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, etc.) on a tryout, is he eligible to be signed by a CHL team at any time? I'm assuming if he plays in the AJHL he can't be signed by a team in the OHL, correct? Do the same rules apply to an American as a Canadian?

Thanks.

It all depends whether he signs with a Junior A team or a Major Junior A team, if he is signed by a Junior a team he can still be signed by a Major Junior A team, once he signs a card he is now protected by that team and can not go to another league unless he is released or traded or moving to a higher or lower league. Clear as mud?

Hockeydad67

May 3, 2014
It all depends whether he signs with a Junior A team or a Major Junior A team, if he is signed by a Junior a team he can still be signed by a Major Junior A team, once he signs a card he is now protected by that team and can not go to another league unless he is released or traded or moving to a higher or lower league. Clear as mud?

So if a player has signed a Junior A card (CJHL) he is free to move to Major Junior (CHL) league? Does the Major Junior team have to provide any compensation to the Junior A club?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011

So you are saying a 16 year old can play Jr A in a branch other than his home branch ?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
So you are saying a 16 year old can play Jr A in a branch other than his home branch ?

Oh yes, We see it out here in the BCHL pretty often. Good players from out east come west to play in the BCHL because it's widely considered the best JrA League in the country.

RJB

Nov 2, 2013
Oh yes, We see it out here in the BCHL pretty often. Good players from out east come west to play in the BCHL because it's widely considered the best JrA League in the country.

What about a player who was drafted in another JRA league but has never signed a card? Can that player play in another league? Can a JRAAA Quebec player play in the OJHL, CCHL, or BCHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad