Rick Nash interested in joining CBJ front office

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes I’m sure Rick Nash would have salvaged everything if he was doing his job well. KJ would be an all star. Chinakhov’s agent would be quiet. Voronkov would be loving High Street. Panarin would be here. Bob wouldn’t have left, we would have 6 cups in 4 years.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I don’t know who is supposed to make the players feel comfortable, but a lot has come out this week that makes it look like we are doing less than a stellar job. Rick Nash has been given credit for things like the locker room redesign and has been publicly proclaimed to be some sort of ambassador who makes the players feel welcome. So maybe it is his fault. Maybe someone else is dropping the ball. Maybe we drafted a bunch of whiners and the team is doing nothing wrong. Might be nice if someone like Porty straight up asked Jarmo who is dropping the ball.

I just don't think Chinny or KJ even fall into this. Ones asking for more playing time despite not really earning it (but hopefully he continues to play like he did against boston) and one played like ass to start the year and got demoted. I'm not sure what more there is to it than that. I think both of these 'issues' would have been prevented had the two been healthy/played better.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Yes I’m sure Rick Nash would have salvaged everything if he was doing his job well. KJ would be an all star. Chinakhov’s agent would be quiet. Voronkov would be loving High Street. Panarin would be here. Bob wouldn’t have left, we would have 6 cups in 4 years.
At this stage, can we even be certain that Rick Nash wasn't responsible for the invasion of Ukraine? Aaron Johnson can't always cover for him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
1701261155264.jpeg

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Monk

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
All I know is

- it was supposedly young players who were bothered by the whole phone issue with Babcock, which was initially dismissed by the team
- there are reports Voronkov was thinking of going home
- there are reports Chinakhov wants out
- there are reports KJ was unhappy that he was told to get a place and then sent to Cleveland
- there are reports Jiricek was unhappy that he was sent to Cleveland

So I don’t know if

- the team is handling things badly with the younger kids
- there are communication issues between what the team expects and what the player expects
- agents are posturing ahead of contract negotiations
- the young guys are a bunch of whiny babies who need to man up and shut up

And once again people covering the CBJ are in the dark so all we have is a bunch of tweets and speculation.

There was a Provorov interview on the radio between periods on Monday. It was awful. All they did was ask him about Columbus like they were fishing for a quote to use in a brochure advertising Columbus. He likes the restaurants he has been to (none were specified) and he likes walking around German Village. No questions about Voronkov or anyone else. You would think they could have lobbed a softball like ”the Jackets have 5 Russians. What is that like having so many Russians on one team.” Maybe they could have had a genuine conversation.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So I don’t know if

- there are communication issues between what the team expects and what the player expects
It won’t make anyone happy but chances are it’s a combination of all of these, and maybe some stuff that isn’t on this list.

Reactions: EspenK

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm guessing this is one of the possible causes, based on how inconsistently some young players have been handled.

I mean KJ could be looking at a guy like Sillinger and think is he really helping the team more than I have in the last few months? If I'm not NHL-ready, why is he in the NHL? Jiricek could be thinking the same about his efforts compared to Boqvist, Peeke and Gudbranson.

I suspect they have done a poor job explaining their decisions to the kids.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
A big part of my job is finding the small problems and fixing them before they become big problems. Watching the Blue Jackets drives me freaking crazy because they seem to let little problems grow into bigger problems and there is very little introspection. If we do something well, we analyze why it well. If we screw something up, we analyze how we screwed it up and try to finds indicators and steps to avoid repeating our mistakes.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
All I know is

- it was supposedly young players who were bothered by the whole phone issue with Babcock, which was initially dismissed by the team
- there are reports KJ was unhappy that he was told to get a place and then sent to Cleveland

So I don’t know if

And once again people covering the CBJ are in the dark so all we have is a bunch of tweets and speculation.

There was a Provorov interview on the radio between periods on Monday. It was awful. All they did was ask him about Columbus like they were fishing for a quote to use in a brochure advertising Columbus. He likes the restaurants he has been to (none were specified) and he likes walking around German Village. No questions about Voronkov or anyone else. You would think they could have lobbed a softball like ”the Jackets have 5 Russians. What is that like having so many Russians on one team.” Maybe they could have had a genuine conversation.
They shoulda asked him if he’s been to the zoo….

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
A big part of my job is finding the small problems and fixing them before they become big problems. Watching the Blue Jackets drives me freaking crazy because they seem to let little problems grow into bigger problems and there is very little introspection. If we do something well, we analyze why it well. If we screw something up, we analyze how we screwed it up and try to finds indicators and steps to avoid repeating our mistakes.

Exponentially easier to do that in whatever your line of work is (probably). If you think your job and Jarmo's are analogous, that explains a lot tbh.

Reactions: squashmaple

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Exponentially easier to do that in whatever your line of work is (probably). If you think your job and Jarmo's are analogous, that explains a lot tbh.

I think it can happen in every arena if you are willing to dedicate the time and resources to do it. I often work on large projects that take years to go from planning to implementation. The budgets involved in some of these projects are way more than the Jackets work with. The successes or failures impact people’s lives. We don’t wait til we are done to examine where we are successful or failing. It is a continual process while we strive to do the best job possible. It is not easy, but we think it is necessary. I don’t think my job and Jarmo’s are analogous - I think mine is way more important to society.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think it can happen in every arena if you are willing to dedicate the time and resources to do it. I often work on large projects that take years to go from planning to implementation. The budgets involved in some of these projects are way more than the Jackets work with. The successes or failures impact people’s lives. We don’t wait til we are done to examine where we are successful or failing. It is a continual process while we strive to do the best job possible. It is not easy, but we think it is necessary. I don’t think my job and Jarmo’s are analogous - I think mine is way more important to society.

Cool. I'm gonna go ahead and assume Jarmo & team is doing this too, instead of not.

Interestingly, your work doesn't sound too different from mine.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
All I know is

fair point.

I went away to college when I was 18 in another state. My assigned roomate never enrolled and I lived in a dorm room by myself as a freshman with very few friends. I thought a lot about going home myself but I stuck it out.

Sometimes you just need to earn your happiness. The guy has been hurt a lot and the room has been crowded with lots of medicre forwards. Time to prove you above that pack. This is on him and on him alone to earn playing time.

Where are these reports? Ho should be unhappy after he was kept in the league all season last year but it doesn't change the fact he was getting pushed around and wasn't effective early season. He's just not physically built for the NHL yet and by all accounts communication has been clear with him on what he needs to do for the lonevity of his career. Bulk up and get some confidence.

- there are reports Jiricek was unhappy that he was sent to Cleveland.

So apparently he was totld to find a place and then got ent to Cleveland for 1 day. Maybe it could have been communicated better but its not like he was exiled to Siberia. He was recalled the next day. This is just a numbers game with too many players and he is one of the few who didn't have to go on waivers. I think it's pretty safe to say he is here to stay.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Cool. I'm gonna go ahead and assume Jarmo & team is doing this too, instead of not.

Interestingly, your work doesn't sound too different from mine.

I think Jarmo might be more like a judge or a surgeon or a goalie or a cornerback - not dwelling too much on the past and more focused on the future. Some of those people (surgeons, goalies) often need someone from the outside to spend the time assessing their past work.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think Jarmo might be more like a judge or a surgeon or a goalie or a cornerback - not dwelling too much on the past and more focused on the future. Some of those people (surgeons, goalies) often need someone from the outside to spend the time assessing their past work.

I suppose, but that's obviously not something we here at HFB are positioned to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad