Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- Canucks looking to re-sign Zadorov before he hits UFA. Vancouver was high on Zadorov's UFA destination list.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why didn't the Flames want to retain salary?

Nice way to shoot yourself in foot by not retaining salary on a pending UFA and killing the trade market for him.

Only 3 retention slots per team and the Flames have much bigger pieces to use those retention slots on then a #5 Dman.

If they do end up unloading a bunch of UFAs, Tanev, Lindholm, Hanifin at least will use those retention slots.

The guy is underrated. Yes, he's going to make bone headed plays every now and then -- but he's incredibly imposing and he moves that puck well. He can skate very well for a big man.

Loved him. Vancouver got a good player here.

He's a #5 Dman that can play spot duty in the Top 4 but if he's playing top 4 minutes for you regularly, you aren't going to go very far.

Which to be fair is still a decent player, just need to make sure he's used properly and not playing above what he's capable of.

I'd have concerns in Vancouver about him playing too much if he's penciled into the 2nd pairing.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames are using LTIR to exceed the cap (insert proper terminology here) so the cap space was desirable to allow flexibility. Whether it's for roster moves or for trades later on.

Two retention spots are permitted. The Flames have six pending UFAs to deal with, and if the bigger names are traded (Lindholm, Hanifin) retention might be needed to move those guys for maximum return. It also opens the possibility of being a broker for cap space - acting as middleman and retaining salary in a three way trade to buy a draft pick or two.

It's equally possible that ownership didn't allow it. They're not keen on salary retention, it's happened like once.
You said it better than I did. However I thought a team could retain salary on three contracts?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yup, fair enough, but with ~8 mil tied up in Hughes and 7 in Hronek, the rest of the D is going to have to cut salary somewhere.

I am not convinced he is in a contenders top 4. And 4m AAV for a 3rd pair d-man is far too much. :/ So... what then?
It depends on the contender. He's definitely in your top 4, he's in Edmonton's. He's in the Leafs, he's in the Avs with Byram struggling. I mean he's not in Tampa's or the Rags. But he's in about half of contenders top 4. Calgary has no #1 defensemen, but we have 5 #2/3 types if you count Kylington.

Only 3 retention slots per team and the Flames have much bigger pieces to use those retention slots on then a #5 Dman.

If they do end up unloading a bunch of UFAs, Tanev, Lindholm, Hanifin at least will use those retention slots.

He's a #5 Dman that can play spot duty in the Top 4 but if he's playing top 4 minutes for you regularly, you aren't going to go very far.

Which to be fair is still a decent player, just need to make sure he's used properly and not playing above what he's capable of.

I'd have concerns in Vancouver about him playing too much if he's penciled into the 2nd pairing.
He's a much better player than he was when he was with you guys or in Chicago. He's the one guy Darryl Sutter fixed. He still makes mistakes, but his speed and strength is so good now. I think Canuck fans will love him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Why didn't the Flames want to retain salary?

Nice way to shoot yourself in foot by not retaining salary on a pending UFA and killing the trade market for him.
Higher salaries for all of Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin so makes sense to reserve those slots for those 3. I'm surprised they couldn't get a 2nd even at full price though

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Higher salaries for all of Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin so makes sense to reserve those slots for those 3. I'm surprised they couldn't get a 2nd even at full price though
Even the third is in 2026. Would've thought Calgary would want to start getting picks earlier to start adding to the prospect pool sooner rather than later.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Even the third is in 2026. Would've thought Calgary would want to start getting picks earlier to start adding to the prospect pool sooner rather than later.
Yeah I'm shocked this wasn't beaten and I think Walmart brand versions of Zadorov like Lyubushkin will return basically the same closer to the deadline, good get for Vancouver even if he walks

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't think there has to be any rush to sign him, that is the benefit of making this deal as early as they did. If he fits, I could see him in the 4x4 range at most. If it doesn't work out, deal him at the deadline and recoup your assets.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Mixed feeling on big Z, but it’s still good to know Vancouver will always be a premier destination for players (for the good and the bad)

Bond

May 10, 2012
In the summer he was willing to sign an extension.
He also apparently tried before his trade request and Flames weren't interested in the term he wanted. He clearly wasn't in Conroy's long term plans.

Mixed feeling on big Z, but it’s still good to know Vancouver will always be a premier destination for players (for the good and the bad)
It really depends on his contract. I didn't want him back on the Flames on a 5 year term or anything above 4 million. If he gets 5x5 he will be the new but slightly cheaper Tyler Myers lol

Reactions: Three On Zero

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It depends on the contender. He's definitely in your top 4, he's in Edmonton's. He's in the Leafs, he's in the Avs with Byram struggling. I mean he's not in Tampa's or the Rags. But he's in about half of contenders top 4. Calgary has no #1 defensemen, but we have 5 #2/3 types if you count Kylington.

He's a much better player than he was when he was with you guys or in Chicago. He's the one guy Darryl Sutter fixed. He still makes mistakes, but his speed and strength is so good now. I think Canuck fans will love him.
That's why he's a #5 and not a #6 anymore. He's not a Top 4 guy on a legit Cup contender. He's basically a #4/5 in that he can play spot duty in the Top 4 but shouldn't be a full time option.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Leaves retention spots open on future trades, I'm guessing.

That and it frees them up to recall guys from the AHL.

Coronato has 15 points in 12 AHL games.

Solovyev has looked like one of their best 6D since camp, and they recalled him yesterday

Can’t forget Wolf either.

Plus flexibility to retain on their higher value guys like Lindholm and Hanifin, who are going to be basically free once the deadline hits.

Zadorov wasn’t the key to all this - he’s not Jar Jar.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
That and it frees them up to recall guys from the AHL.

Coronato has 15 points in 12 AHL games.

Solovyev has looked like one of their best 6D since camp, and they recalled him yesterday

Can’t forget Wolf either.

Plus flexibility to retain on their higher value guys like Lindholm and Hanifin, who are going to be basically free once the deadline hits.

Zadorov wasn’t the key to all this - he’s not Jar Jar.
Calgary looks like they want a retool.

They've evaluated the players they are going to move and what assets they should be able to accumulate.

This is the scenario they feel they can maximize their return. Time will tell.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I wonder if it could be like 3.75 x 6 years

I think he's a really solid 5 that can be your 4.
Honestly, if there's no clauses with that signing, that's not that bad at all. Take him straight to the end of his prime, and given how he's played most games most seasons he should be pretty durable. Depth guys like Sissons (7 year deal at age 26 vs. your proposed 6 year deal at age 28 for Zadorov) have even signed for long terms and for slightly shorter deals, but if they have a role to play and can play it well, then why not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad