Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- Canucks looking to re-sign Zadorov before he hits UFA. Vancouver was high on Zadorov's UFA destination list.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What he asked in Calgary is not the same as what he wants in Vancouver. Calgary always pays the premium to keep players, think of Huburdeau, Coleman etc.
Coleman is worth every penny. Vancouver has overpaid every bit as much as Calgary. Myers, Mikheyev, Beagle, Eriksson ect. It's hard not to find teams that have overpaid guys. His price if anything would be higher there because of the higher tax rate. Teams that get bargains are the tax free states like Florida, Texas and Nevada.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What he asked in Calgary is not the same as what he wants in Vancouver. Calgary always pays the premium to keep players, think of Huburdeau, Coleman etc.
He wanted to be in Vancouver so he showed some of his cards, this is Allvin and not Benning. I think he signs for a decent deal if he wants to be here

Reactions: jackjohnson

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He wanted to be in Vancouver so he showed some of his cards, this is Allvin and not Benning. I think he signs for a decent deal if he wants to be here
Yep that's what am saying. He will sign cheaper in Van compared to what he wanted in Calgary.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
4.25 or 4.45 x 6 years is my guess to keep him below 4.5 AAV. He's still a solid 4/5 Dman option. By the time he's a full time 3rd pairing, with the cap increase it'll be like a 3x3 dman on the bottom pairing. Not a big deal.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I dont know what is the rush in these decisions???? signing huberdeau before he played a single game for flames was proved to be ill advised.

let him acclimatize see where he lands, then sign him based on his play. unless they worry hes going to suddenly score 14 goals for them and ask for Quinn hughes money.

Reactions: m9

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Rather wait till TDL to see how he plays with us, I never understood why teams would trade and then extend players before they even play for them. Like imagine if Calgary had waited till the TDL to re-sign Huberdeau they would have dodged a bullet, instead they are stuck with a 10.5 million dollar contract.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Dont want to re sign unless he's in the Cole Soucy contract territory.

Just moving on from Myers to have yet another long term 4/5 eating up too much cap is no bueno for me

cheap price for a rental.....just walk away once it doesnt make sense and go get a top3 stud

Reactions: gianni

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
To be fair, it sounds like anywhere other than Calgary was high on his UFA list.

There’s nothing to indicate that Vancouver wasn’t legitimately one of his top choices. The fact that he also wanted out of Calgary doesn’t change that.

There’s not a city in the NHL I’d rather be rich in than Vancouver…

Jelly.

Nice of you to say, but I’d take New York.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There’s nothing to indicate that Vancouver wasn’t legitimately one of his top choices. The fact that he also wanted out of Calgary doesn’t change that.

When did I say Vancouver wasn’t high on his list? My impression is any team other than Calgary was high on his list. He’s played on multiple teams and until now never seems fussy about the team. My guess is as long as he has a coach that will treat him well and he has a reasonable role he is happy. Tocchet is popular with his players so I expect Zadorov to play hard for him and be happy in Vancouver. Whether they will pay him remains to be seen.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
When did I say Vancouver wasn’t high on his list? My impression is any team other than Calgary was high on his list. He’s played on multiple teams and until now never seems fussy about the team. My guess is as long as he has a coach that will treat him well and he has a reasonable role he is happy. Tocchet is popular with his players so I expect Zadorov to play hard for him and be happy in Vancouver. Whether they will pay him remains to be seen.

Common sense implies it. Someone says, “Vancouver was apparently high on his list of where he wanted to sign”. You respond, ”everyone other than Calgary was high on his list”. That pretty obviously downplays that he apparently had Vancouver on his short list to sign as a FA.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Common sense implies it. Someone says, “Vancouver was high on his list”. The next person responds, ”everyone other than Calgary was high on his list”. That pretty obviously downplays it.

That’s fair. And on some level who cares if he prefers Vancouver to Toronto. He’s happy to be there. Now the team will have to decide if they want to extend him. This is a critical season for Vancouver and so far so good. As long as they get Petterson signed the rest is details.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Can't afford to pay a 5th defenseman more than $4 million a season. Not with Hughes making $7.8 and Hronek likely getting around $7 million. Not to mention Pettersson's upcoming $12 million deal. If we do, we'll be finishing out our defense with entry level contracts, one year reclamation projects and AHL fodder. You keep it around what he's making right now or even a little less or he can walk. And I'd wait until at least the new year to see how he's doing.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

I prefer the greenery of Vancouver to the concrete jungle of New York.

Reactions: Cogburn

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’ll never understand the idea of re-signing a guy you just traded for until you have some time to evaluate him or he’s a legit star player. If he fits the team well, I guess it’s something to consider, but if he’s going to cost what some of the numbers thrown around are, I’d rather that money be freed up to try for an actual top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad