Line Combos: Reunite ROR and Landy

member 116861

If you can get him at 4-4.5M yr it would be worth it. Rather spend the money on him than Jones. Jones is too streaky and seems to only have chemistry with Stastny.

For 4 million that is a very good deal but I think he will get more than that.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We're gonna reward Matt Duchene by pairing him with Michael Frolik? Forget these two-bit solutions like Stalberg. Don't bother signing anyone unless he's a proven winger who can play top line once in a while. Filppula I agree with along with, I don't like Horton but at least he can play there though he might not work with Duchene.

My line-up for fwds is the exact same as it is now for next season unless the FA we sign is a good proven one. Maybe add Sgarbossa in there or possibly Hishon, Hejduk retires and if Jones doesn't turn it around then he'll have to be bought out by the time Stastny is an FA and Duchene/Landeskog's contracts expire. I'm in favour of trading $ $'$ for help on D. That should've been Stastny moved but after the offer sheet fiasco, I'd rather keep Stastny.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Landy's not back to where he was yet, and WorthIt O'Reilly still isn't at full speed either. Meanwhile Landy and Staz have been doing alright, hopefully removing the drunk will do them some good.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone mentioned keeping Jones around as a 2/3/4 RW because Downie looks to be a 50-60 game guy. I don't know, I agree on the Downie situation but I'd much rather give a guy like Palushaj those minutes than Jones, at least you can tell Palushaj works hard every game and is willing to go to the dirty areas whereas Jones does literally nothing every game he plays in. Looking up the FA class of 2013 and realistic possibilites, my ideal lineup and roster moves would be:

- One of either O'Byrne/Hunwick/Zanon are traded at the deadline, more so Zanon I hope
- Milan Hejduk Retires
- David Jones is bought out in the summer
- Ryan O'Byrne is allowed to walk
- Chuck Kobasew is allowed to walk
- Sign David Clarkson to a contract with an AAV of 4.5/5 per season (Lets say 4.5 fingers crossed lol)
- Sign Ladislav Smid to a contract with an AAV of 4.5 per season

This would leave us with around 10-12 million in cap space, closer to 12, and the ideal lines would be

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Clarkson
Sgarbossa-O'Reilly-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Olver/Bordeleau/Palushaj

Wilson-Johnson
Smid-Barrie
Hejda-O'Brien

Varlamov
Giguere

I think Sgarbossa would be a nice fit playing with O'Reilly, and with the grit of Downie he can stick to playing a finesse game and being that offensive threat with O'Reilly, allowing Mitchell to play 4C. I gave Smid 4.5 because he's a great shutdown defenseman with real good speed for a defensive guy, and an outstanding locker room guy getting to see him so much here in Edmonton, he's a smarter, much better version of Zanon albeit without the beard :(

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Someone mentioned keeping Jones around as a 2/3/4 RW because Downie looks to be a 50-60 game guy. I don't know, I agree on the Downie situation but I'd much rather give a guy like Palushaj those minutes than Jones, at least you can tell Palushaj works hard every game and is willing to go to the dirty areas whereas Jones does literally nothing every game he plays in. Looking up the FA class of 2013 and realistic possibilites, my ideal lineup and roster moves would be:

- One of either O'Byrne/Hunwick/Zanon are traded at the deadline, more so Zanon I hope
- Milan Hejduk Retires
- David Jones is bought out in the summer
- Ryan O'Byrne is allowed to walk
- Chuck Kobasew is allowed to walk
- Sign David Clarkson to a contract with an AAV of 4.5/5 per season (Lets say 4.5 fingers crossed lol)
- Sign Ladislav Smid to a contract with an AAV of 4.5 per season

This would leave us with around 10-12 million in cap space, closer to 12, and the ideal lines would be

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Clarkson
Sgarbossa-O'Reilly-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Olver/Bordeleau/Palushaj

Wilson-Johnson
Smid-Barrie
Hejda-O'Brien

Varlamov
Giguere

I think Sgarbossa would be a nice fit playing with O'Reilly, and with the grit of Downie he can stick to playing a finesse game and being that offensive threat with O'Reilly, allowing Mitchell to play 4C. I gave Smid 4.5 because he's a great shutdown defenseman with real good speed for a defensive guy, and an outstanding locker room guy getting to see him so much here in Edmonton, he's a smarter, much better version of Zanon albeit without the beard :(

Jones is in his first year of 4 year contract. He's not getting bought out, at least not yet. Maybe after next year, but Avalanche will give him sometime to bounce back. It's not going to happen this summer.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'd rather keep Landeskog with Stastny. Give them more time to work it out and I think they will both score at a higher rate.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jones is in his first year of 4 year contract. He's not getting bought out, at least not yet. Maybe after next year, but Avalanche will give him sometime to bounce back. It's not going to happen this summer.

The way Jones has played, he deserves to be bought out. I just don't understand this team's philosophy, he scored 27 goals one season, and then 20 last season, and all of a sudden he's a 16 million dollar guy for 4 years? He's had major knee surgery in the past, he likely isn't going to get any faster which sucks because he's one of the slowest players on this team ESPECIALLY his first few strides, I just don't see him being worth it. We'll have Duchene, Johnson, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Varlamov, McGinn, Wilson, Barrie, etc to resign who all surely will be due for raises except for O'Reilly and if he plays up to par he won't be taking too much of a pay cut, while also having Stastny to potentially resign if we want to keep the 3C model. He just doesn't seem to fit into future plans, I say why not cut him loose earlier rather than later, I'd hate to see him playing in a top 6 role again next season.

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Free Agent
Free Agent/Sgarbossa-O'Reilly-Downie

That's what I'd like to see next season, can't stand David Jones

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The way Jones has played, he deserves to be bought out. I just don't understand this team's philosophy, he scored 27 goals one season, and then 20 last season, and all of a sudden he's a 16 million dollar guy for 4 years? He's had major knee surgery in the past, he likely isn't going to get any faster which sucks because he's one of the slowest players on this team ESPECIALLY his first few strides, I just don't see him being worth it. We'll have Duchene, Johnson, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Varlamov, McGinn, Wilson, Barrie, etc to resign who all surely will be due for raises except for O'Reilly and if he plays up to par he won't be taking too much of a pay cut, while also having Stastny to potentially resign if we want to keep the 3C model. He just doesn't seem to fit into future plans, I say why not cut him loose earlier rather than later, I'd hate to see him playing in a top 6 role again next season.

McGinn-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Free Agent
Free Agent/Sgarbossa-O'Reilly-Downie

That's what I'd like to see next season, can't stand David Jones
IMO he was never worth 4 million per year and I always believed It was mistake. I was bit worried about Parenteau signing, but I have to admit I haven't seen Islanders play that much. He's been very impressive.

Can anyone tell me how much would it cost to buy-out Jones? What would be the cap-hit for next whatever years?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
IMO he was never worth 4 million per year and I always believed It was mistake. I was bit worried about Parenteau signing, but I have to admit I haven't seen Islanders play that much. He's been very impressive.

Can anyone tell me how much would it cost to buy-out Jones? What would be the cap-hit for next whatever years?

Pretty sure the two-player amnesty buyout clause allows the entire salary to be written off (although the team still has to pay the player I don't believe there is any salary cap implication associated with the amnesty buyout.) The memorandum of understanding leads me to believe this is the case.

Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as
are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)†will
not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the
Player.​

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Here it is:

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=563&buyout_y=2013&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

2013-14: $1,333,333
2014-15: $1,333,333
2015-16: $1,333,333
2016-17: $1,333,333
2017-18: $1,333,333
2018-19: $1,333,333

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, every team can make two amnesty buyouts regardless of their cap situation.

What he said. :)

Personally, I don't see the buyout happening. I think they're going to try Jones with a different coach and hope he gets it going. I think his deal is still moveable if he doesn't (moreso if he does obviously) regardless.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
No, every team can make two amnesty buyouts regardless of their cap situation.

Thanks fellas. Sad to think we're actually discussing buying him out. I remember when I used to think he should've been traded for whatever we could get because he was made of glass and couldn't play a full season without breaking something significant. He proved to be both more durable and expensive than I ever imagined.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Personally, I don't see the buyout happening. I think they're going to try Jones with a different coach and hope he gets it going. I think his deal is still moveable if he doesn't (moreso if he does obviously) regardless.

Woah... You actually think they'll fire Sacco? They'll give him a 14 year extension before that thought even crosses their mind

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Woah... You actually think they'll fire Sacco? They'll give him a 14 year extension before that thought even crosses their mind

I know, it's a stretch, but hey, if Sacco's willing to scratch O'Byrne...

Motivational-Quote-on-Anything_Is_Possible.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad