GDT: Retro Night - Flyers @ Flames [7pm - SNW]

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
hahaha TFG you are 10x the HF poster I will ever be, takes courage to make a thread on the main board that completely tells everyone to eat ****

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Aaah had no service at the game!! Couldn't meet Hox and his wife, AF.

As for the game, I was sitting 5 rows behind the backup goalie, it was awesome.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm pretty fired up right now. That was one of the best games I've gone to if not the best one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Flames played a good game tonight. In the 1st, they were playing a safe game and playing not to lose. As the game progressed, they picked their spots and capitalized when needed. The 3rd period (as usual) was their best. The atmosphere in the Dome was awesome, what a huge win for our guys!

GFG!!!!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Pfft, I had a cold one with your name on it. I ended up drinking it :laugh:

It was a great game though :)

:laugh:. I wore my retro with pride :).

Seriously, it seems like we never lose with our retros.

The Dome was definitely rocking, so glad I get to go to two more games.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm really souring on Engelland

I was aware the guy was let go in Pitts because he was terrible adv. stats-wise
he played both forward and defense and when breaking down line-mates you could see him turn both Crosby and Letang (players the Pit loves to double shift with bottom 6/pairing) into guys who allowed more scoring chances than they created which is simply amazing.

In Calgary I was okay with the wait and see approach despite obviously knowing that he was paid way too much. But now we're watching TJ Brodie struggle for 4 straight games. And we can rationalize it as getting used to a new side or not having Gio drive play but his numbers playing with Diaz (another bottom-pair RHD) are elite in a limited number of minutes, and he has above average numbers when playing with waiver pick-up Schelmko.

We really need to get Engelland down into a #7/#8 role where if he comes in vs a big team to add presence for 13mins for 30-35 games a season; then he adds some value rather than stealing it away from other players.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Of all the times to sour on Engelland why now? He has been exceptional since being pairing with Brodie. Yes of course its going to bring Brodie's game down from the towering heights that he reached with Gio. That was probably the best pairing in the league.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah I am not understanding the hate on Engelland. He's been the better player over Schlemko.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Of all the times to sour on Engelland why now? He has been exceptional since being pairing with Brodie. Yes of course its going to bring Brodie's game down from the towering heights that he reached with Gio. That was probably the best pairing in the league.

I'm not seeing Engelland playing better right now I'm seeing Engelland stand in front of the net and watch his partner eat Zetterberg, Kesler, Vorachek, even Phil the thrill (if he counts) into the corner where they can only turn the puck over. And even in those situations he's slow to find his man.

and I guess what really worries me is that Diaz who has stepped his game up since Gio went down is not getting any of those minutes. I'm not even a big Diaz fan I'd love to have him stay in a #7 role next year rather than being in the top 6; but it feels like this team isn't seeing a black hole on the ice where every advanced stat (and hell even regular stats) tells you there is one.

edit: And the other reason this hits me as a "now" complaint is in the past he was dragging around professional boat anchor Laddy Smid; who is a terrific person, real warrior, and completely unable to keep up with the current speed of the NHL let alone Calgary's fast-paced system. So I could rationalize away that he was in a tough spot being the speedster and puck-mover of his pairing. Now he's in an easy spot back-up TJ so he can play his game; and TJ has been unable to play his game at the level we're used to.

Last edited:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'm not seeing Engelland playing better right now I'm seeing Engelland stand in front of the net and watch his partner eat Zetterberg, Kesler, Vorachek, even Phil the thrill (if he counts) into the corner where they can only turn the puck over. And even in those situations he's slow to find his man.

and I guess what really worries me is that Diaz who has stepped his game up since Gio went down is not getting any of those minutes. I'm not even a big Diaz fan I'd love to have him stay in a #7 role next year rather than being in the top 6; but it feels like this team isn't seeing a black hole on the ice where every advanced stat (and hell even regular stats) tells you there is one.

If a defenseman is chasing a player in the corner, then that's just bad defensive play. Forwards want dmen to chase them into the corner. Hence why forwards sometimes take their time in the corner, lurinng the defenseman into the corner

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
If a defenseman is chasing a player in the corner, then that's just bad defensive play. Forwards want dmen to chase them into the corner. Hence why forwards sometimes take their time in the corner, lurinng the defenseman into the corner

Chasing is a bit different than pinning which I guess is a bit confusing as I'll use "eat" when that happens.

When you are playing defense you want to hold position between the opposing player and your net and force them further and further to the outside until eventually they try to make a play with no space, no path to the net, and their eyes away from the slot; which Brodie has consistently done to the best players in the league.

It's a bit different as you are talking about (for example) Johnny forcing a d-man back with enough speed to create separation and by the time they head to the corner they end up chasing the play, I'd argue it's not because the Dman went into the corner (or they would never bother going there) it's when they went there with poor gap control that allows wingers like that to set-up plays.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Chasing is a bit different than pinning which I guess is a bit confusing as I'll use "eat" when that happens.

When you are playing defense you want to hold position between the opposing player and your net and force them further and further to the outside until eventually they try to make a play with no space, no path to the net, and their eyes away from the slot; which Brodie has consistently done to the best players in the league.

It's a bit different as you are talking about (for example) Johnny forcing a d-man back with enough speed to create separation and by the time they head to the corner they end up chasing the play, I'd argue it's not because the Dman went into the corner (or they would never bother going there) it's when they went there with poor gap control that allows wingers like that to set-up plays.

Sorry, I misunderstood you! And haha I know how to play defense, I played defense my whole life so I definitely agree with you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad