Player Discussion: Retool/ Rebuild: Which 3 do you keep?

If the Jets go retool/ rebuild, which 3 do you keep?

• Rittich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pionk

• Stanley

• Schmidt

• Dillon

• Capobianco

• Demelo

• Wheeler

• Maenalanen

• Jonsson-Fjallby

• Kuhlman

• Stenlund

• Appleton

• Gagner

• Harkins

• Toninato

• Gustafsson

• Total voters

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Here are the 'rules': If the Jets go as far as to blow the team up somewhat, and it results in the club being a longshot to make the playoffs for the next couple of years, who are the 3 players you deem 'untouchable'?

The players eligible have to have played at least one regular season game for the Jets

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I picked Morrissey, Samberg and Connor.

Morrissey because duh. He was one of the guys who consistently lifted the team on his shoulders and dragged them into the fight. He is the right type of player to build around, and he's still young enough and under contract to be a positive impact for years to come

Samberg: He really took huge leaps this year, and looks like he could be the next Demelo with hopefully a bit more offense. As he matures, I see him leading this team, and being the guy we put younger players with to shelter and teach them.

Connor: Yes, Kyle struggled mightily in the back half of the season and in the playoffs, but this is an anomaly in an otherwise incredibly consistent player. I still wonder if something physical was bothering him this year. Even with struggles, he hit 30 again and I fully expect him to return to being a goal scoring machine especially if the team can reset the culture.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for the thread. It's a great thought experiment -- hard to do (for me anyway) with only 3 picks.

But here goes. JMo for skills, brains, leadership -- and everything, really. Impossible to find a 1D in this league anyway, and def not one who brings as much as Morrissey does on that contract. He's also a hell of a good guy and does a ton for the team in the community.

Perfetti isn't listed, but he's a lock for me. New-gen player who is only going to get stronger and better.

Of the rest, I think Ehlers likely brings the most value, if he's played where he should be played, and while yeah injuries, he's an absolute gamer who rarely if ever quits on a game, let alone a shift.

Samberg sure for the stability and the steadiness and balance of skills and the potential he still shows. They need to sign him longterm, now.

KFC scores, but that's all he does -- and when he doesn't score, what is he?

If I could add 2 more -- Barron, because he's so damn close, and then either 55 because, let's face it, we need him -- but I'd have to shut my eyes and bite my tongue as I pushed the contract across the table.

Lowry ain't going anywhere, and Nino stays because value. Names is gone, I'd expect. Classic suitcase player who will always be in demand.

I don't see Blake, Helle or PLD being here long, and none of the rest move the needle for me.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Morrissey / Samberg / Lowry for me.

Mo and Lousy to set the cultural tone, and Samberg because he's young enough and good enough that he might live to see the other side of a rebuild :laugh:

I would definitely be open to having Ehlers around as well, but I would also not mind setting him free to find success somewhere else.

Reactions: Buffdog and hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if it's rebuild no one is really off the table for me.

from the list i keep samberg, morrissey and demelo/dillon for now.

lowry will be a bit of a controversial one i bet. he had a fantastic playoffs. he has 3 years remaining on his deal.... does anyone envision us making the POs and a Cup run any of those 3 years? he has intangibles, grit for sure. can you find a vet-guy for cheaper who can bring in what he does in the regular season + bank on his recent PO performance? i think you'll get a really good deal.

imo: i keep the dmen (for now) b/c i think you need some sort of stability and good players on the back-end. morrissey/demelo/dillon seem to be good locker room guys as well. you're going to be running a group of younger Fwds who likely aren't refined in their 200-ft game if you're rebuilding.... what's going to kill their confidence? or have them basically neutered on offense? constant defending in their own zone, incapable of getting the puck up ice etc.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Damn it I KNEW I'd miss somebody

Sorry guys I added Perfetti and unlocked change votes for a couple days.

I thought you left him out because it's too obvious. Even Samberg is kind of obvious. Why would anyone want to get rid of upcoming players for a rebuild?

The more interesting question is which vets do you keep.

Reactions: hn777 and DRW204

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Only Morrissey, Samberg and Perfetti for me. Everyone else is moveable.
This is the correct opinion.

Two youth players and the Norris candidate locked up for a few years. All other responses are invalid.

/thread

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Jomo is an obvious choice, star defenseman on a great contract
Lowry actually plays well in the playoffs (so hopefully can rub off a good work ethic to all the young players coming in) and also signed for a while at a decent cap
Perfetti lots of team control left, lock for a top 6 player and has star potential

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Yep we’d have been a much better team if we got 60 games out of Ehlers this season.
60+ games not only playing but giving 100% for other players to see maximum effort would have made the team better. I'd like to see a core/tool rebuild with that attitude of not quitting or taking days off.
Even with his injuries I think you can build a philosophy around players like him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
60+ games not only playing but giving 100% for other players to see maximum effort would have made the team better. I'd like to see a core/tool rebuild with that attitude of not quitting or taking days off.
Even with his injuries I think you can build a philosophy around players like him.
I’d rather Ehlers take days off if it meant we had him for more games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad