Retired Jersey Numbers

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Good afternoon!

I am working on a little project. I am trying to get every OHL teams list of retired jersey numbers and who its retired for.

If you could help me out that would be great.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
For Guelph, the only true "retired" number is for Paul Fendley, #18, who died after hitting his head on the ice.
Other "honoured" numbers are 24 (Ryan Callahan), 44 (Todd Bertuzzi), and 92 (Jeff O'Neill).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa 67s:
7 - Denis Potvin and Doug Wilson
14 - Peter Lee
15 - Bobby Smith
44 - Brian Campbell

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Fronts have 10 honoured #s, no full-on retired #s:

Canadians
#5 - Mike O'Connell
#7 - Tony McKegney
#10 - Brad Rhiness
#14 - Ken Linseman
#29 - Chris Clifford

Frontenacs
#17 - David Ling
#7 - Mike Zigomanis
#88 - Keli Corpse
#13 - Anthony Stewart
#24 - Chris Stewart

Reactions: Logosarejusttargets

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Hamilton does not have any retired numbers. The team hasn't been around long enough to produce one, other then the general unofficial understanding that 99 is off limits, which probably goes without saying across the league.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw only has Trocheck’s 89 but with the 25th anniversary season coming up, I’d guess we might see one or two more added. Maybe someone like Pyatt, Brodie, or Saad? Idk. I’d love to see someone like Shalla get his number up there as he’s still the teams most prolific goal scorer.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie has two

#16 Brad Boyes, franchise leader in points until Strome broke the record, captain of their first championship, great community presence

#18 Vince Scott, who passed away at 23 in a car accident

Obviously McDavid is just a matter of when. Debrincat/Strome also should be in contention. Strome now all time point leader, Debrincat has the goal record and is one of the best US born CHL players of all time. Interestingly, Erie has not had a player wear 12 or 19 since Debrincat/Strome left. Both seem like common numbers. I would like to think they are already preparing for that day, but a little too soon right now. I think McDavid should be first. Then you can do Strome/Debrincat together

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Owen Sound only has one number but it's not really retired but more in memorial to the late Platers captain Dan Snyder # 14.

As for retiring jersey numbers I don't think Owen Sound will necessarily retire any numbers anytime soon.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In a league with such a high turnover of players, I have a hard time retiring numbers unless in cases such as Mickey Renaud and Paul Fendlay.

Also, does a number get retired because of career excellence or excellence only at the OHL level? Up for debate. Varies from team to team.

I’d be much more in favour of honouring a player with the number worn being secondary.

That being said, in Kitchener, there are two retired numbers, sort of, I think.

#21 - Gary Crosby.
#22 - Jim McGeachie.

Both lost their lives. McGeachie as a member of the Rangers and Crosby two or three years after having played here. Crosby was traded to the Marlboros and then played a couple years at Michigan Tech. But once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

I said “sort of, I think” above because even though these numbers have been retired, players have worn #21 here and there. Ben Shutron comes to mind. I have no recollection if #22 has been worn since.

But if they are both retired (or remembered as an article on Crosby mentions, or raised as another article on McGeachie mentions), why has #21 been worn?

Also, about the banners we’ve raised honouring former Rangers who’ve been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. They have on the banners the numbers those players wore when they played here …… except for Larry Robinson. Instead, they have his #19 that he wore in the NHL. Why? Who knows? I can only suspect that the brass at the time had no idea the number he wore here, could find no pictures with him in uniform where the number was visible, and were too embarrassed to ask him what his number was as a Ranger.

And yes, the idiocy and embarrassment of the “fans” #1 being retired. When it is evident most often that fan consideration comes last.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
In a league with such a high turnover of players, I have a hard time retiring numbers unless in cases such as Mickey Renaud and Paul Fendlay.

Also, does a number get retired because of career excellence or excellence only at the OHL level? Up for debate. Varies from team to team.

I’d be much more in favour of honouring a player with the number worn being secondary.

#21 - Gary Crosby.
#22 - Jim McGeachie.

Both lost their lives. McGeachie as a member of the Rangers and Crosby two or three years after having played here. Crosby was traded to the Marlboros and then played a couple years at Michigan Tech. But once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

I said “sort of, I think” above because even though these numbers have been retired, players have worn #21 here and there. Ben Shutron comes to mind. I have no recollection if #22 has been worn since.

But if they are both retired (or remembered as an article on Crosby mentions, or raised as another article on McGeachie mentions), why has #21 been worn?

Also, about the banners we’ve raised honouring former Rangers who’ve been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. They have on the banners the numbers those players wore when they played here …… except for Larry Robinson. Instead, they have his #19 that he wore in the NHL. Why? Who knows? I can only suspect that the brass at the time had no idea the number he wore here, could find no pictures with him in uniform where the number was visible, and were too embarrassed to ask him what his number was as a Ranger.

And yes, the idiocy and embarrassment of the “fans” #1 being retired. When it is evident most often that fan consideration comes last.
But once again in the situation in Windsor is not really a jersey number retirement, but instead a honoring memorial to their captain who has passed away unexpectedly do to an underlying health condition. If fans have ever been to the WFCU Centre there is a clear display on the main concourse that is dedicated to their captain Mickey Renaud.

To further that I do believe the Spits still honor his memory with the shoulder patches and the trapezoid boxes behind each net still with his memory "18" painted on the ice.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

#21 - Gary Crosby.
#22 - Jim McGeachie.

Robinson wore #2....and yes, I remember!
and yes, thank-you on Crosby, forgot about him.

Reactions: nelli27

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Owen Sound only has one number but it's not really retired but more in memorial to the late Platers captain Dan Snyder # 14.

As for retiring jersey numbers I don't think Owen Sound will necessarily retire any numbers anytime soon.
No one can wear #14 in Owen Sound . So it's retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad