Retain Salary

kegstandbyme

Apr 12, 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Past years it was pretty easy for the other team to retain salary, it looks like this year they tried to make it more realistic. However, I still haven't been able to pull off a trade where the other team retains salary (even if the player has one year left on their deal).

If you have, did you just have to massively overpay or do you have any other tips to get them to accept an offer?

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Past years it was pretty easy for the other team to retain salary, it looks like this year they tried to make it more realistic. However, I still haven't been able to pull off a trade where the other team retains salary (even if the player has one year left on their deal).

If you have, did you just have to massively overpay or do you have any other tips to get them to accept an offer?
On Hard trading difficulty I always have to ridiculously overpay to get salary retained.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Getting them to take on salary they don't want is very literally impossible. I couldn't trade them one year of Matt Moulson's $4m contract even when I offered three first round draft picks and Connor McDavid added to the deal. The trading is broken in GM mode.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Getting them to take on salary they don't want is very literally impossible. I couldn't trade them one year of Matt Moulson's $4m contract even when I offered three first round draft picks and Connor McDavid added to the deal. The trading is broken in GM mode.
In previous versions of the game it was possible to get 50% retained. I think you're correct that it's impossible to get that now, but they will accept smaller percentages.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
On hard yes its an insane over pay. Like twice value.... They essentially made rentals not possible this year.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
if its more then a 1 year they are 100% not retaining if its not on easy.
Switched trading to easy and offered 2 1st a player and a 3rd for a top 5 pick and was told the offer was insulting despite the trade bar being full and them liking everything I offered. I'm fairly confident that trade difficulty is just something for show.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Bergeron was 79 ovr but still had 4.5 stat defense and I needed a 4c but his contract was like 6.3m or something like that with one year left, and Boston was rebuilding and had cap space and didn’t want to retain a penny of his contract. Still traded for him, I made space, but that’s pretty stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad