Restricted Free Agents

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Next year Leddy and Kruger are both up as RFA's. Any guesses as to what they get from us? For comparison, Frolik went from 1.25 mil to 2.33 on a 3 year deal. If we can lock them both up for about $4 combined, it means assuming a buy out of Olesz, we have about $3 mil to sign 5 players next season (replace Emery, Bickell, Mayers, Stalberg, Rosival)

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Kruger = 1.7M for 2 years.
Leddy = 2.85M for 3 years.

Keep in mind, Montador likely isn't going to play again in the NHL at this point. So that opens up another 2.75M in cap space.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
I think Kruger might sign for 1M or a hair more, unless he catches fire this year. I see him in a similar place as Stalberg, in that he'll still have a little bit to prove.

I think Leddy improves defensively this year, but doesn't put up quite the same numbers, and can be had for 2.5 or less. If he catches fire though we won't be able to afford him, and I could even see him getting an offer sheet from a team desperate for D

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Kruger = 1.7M for 2 years.
Leddy = 2.85M for 3 years.

Keep in mind, Montador likely isn't going to play again in the NHL at this point. So that opens up another 2.75M in cap space.

Right but you don't know that for sure so have to plan for that cap hit

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Right but you don't know that for sure so have to plan for that cap hit

Well, when the guy suffers a concussion or his concussoin symptoms return doing light skates with teammates.. it doesn't bode well for a guy's career. Montador, especially, has suffered numerous concussion's within the last year or so. IMO, he'll be on LTIR until his contract runs out or Chicago may even buy him out.

Patriks7

Oct 20, 2010
Well, when the guy suffers a concussion or his concussoin symptoms return doing light skates with teammates.. it doesn't bode well for a guy's career. Montador, especially, has suffered numerous concussion's within the last year or so. IMO, he'll be on LTIR until his contract runs out or Chicago may even buy him out.

I may be wrong, but I thought you can't buy out an injured player?

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Teams cannot buy out injured players. They have to be cleared to play.

Leddy isn't getting more than Del Zotto or Kulivov ($2.5 mil).

Kruger is required at least a 10% increase.

Patriks7

Oct 20, 2010
maybe you can when it comes to those amnesty buyouts that don't count against the Cap.

I don't think so. That's why they allowed Gomez and Redden to be bought out before this season. Originally they were supposed to not have been allowed to play just in case so they wouldn't be injured. But I may be wrong.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Agreed but the cap is $64 mil, you can't spend $66.75 mil in the off season and just expect to put Monty on LTIR when the season starts. You'll have to spend $64 mil and then gain the $2.75 mil in cap space when he goes on LTIR. It handicaps the team going forward.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
You can't buyout a guy who is injured. That is what LTIR is for.

They are going to have about $7 mil of cap space with Montador and after buying out Olesz.
Still need to sign Leddy Stalberg Kruger and fill holes.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You can't buyout a guy who is injured. That is what LTIR is for.

They are going to have about $7 mil of cap space with Montador and after buying out Olesz.
Still need to sign Leddy Stalberg Kruger and fill holes.

I think they missed the boat on Stalberg, they should have signed him last off season. At this point, I bet he's going to end up being too expensive for them.

You can't put guys on LTIR until the season starts right? Doesn't that mean they can't depend on Montador's cap space during the off season? What if they are over the cap and he starts feeling better on September 30th?

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I think they missed the boat on Stalberg, they should have signed him last off season. At this point, I bet he's going to end up being too expensive for them.

You can't put guys on LTIR until the season starts right? Doesn't that mean they can't depend on Montador's cap space during the off season? What if they are over the cap and he starts feeling better on September 30th?

Was saying this over and over again. Dude is not even making a million bucks this year. He's going to walk because someone will pay him big $$$ if he pots 20 again this year. And he will certainly be missed next season.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Was saying this over and over again. Dude is not even making a million bucks this year. He's going to walk because someone will pay him big $$$ if he pots 20 again this year. And he will certainly be missed next season.

Have to think they could have got him last year for like 2 years, $2 mil per. He'll probably get $3+ after thi season.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Teams get a 10% overage in the off season (if that holds in the new CBA).

Stalberg is a RFA. Qualify him low. See if anyone drops a offer then decide to match or take the picks. Stalberg is replaceable.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Teams get a 10% overage in the off season (if that holds in the new CBA).

Stalberg is a RFA. Qualify him low. See if anyone drops a offer then decide to match or take the picks. Stalberg is replaceable.

Pretty sure he's an UFA. At least according to cap geek. Only RFA's we have is Kruger and Leddy. I forgot about the %10 overage, thats a good point. Can go over knowing Montador is going to be injured.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I may be wrong, but I thought you can't buy out an injured player?

You can't. I should have been more clear. I think one of two things will happen:

1.) Montador's career is over. He and the team are aware that it's over and he'll remain on LTIR until the remaining 2 years (after this season) of his contract run out.

2.) Montador will be cleared at some point before the season ends, Chicago obviously won't play him and they'll buy him out when the season's over.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You can't. I should have been more clear. I think one of two things will happen:

1.) Montador's career is over. He and the team are aware that it's over and he'll remain on LTIR until the remaining 2 years (after this season) of his contract run out.

2.) Montador will be cleared at some point before the season ends, Chicago obviously won't play him and they'll buy him out when the season's over.

If I'm him and I've been struggling with concussion symptoms for almost an entire year, there's no way I'm getting on the ice again. Its not like he's 25 and can still make a lot of money in the league. Sit at home and get paid $8.25 mil over the next 3 years and get well. Retire at age 35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad