Player Discussion Resign Kevin Rooney, UFA at season ends

Resign Kevin Rooney, UFA at season ends, 2 or 3 year deal at a little raise from his contract.

• Total voters

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Give him a 2-3 contract based off 13 games so far?? Good lord some or you! If there was an option for “too soon to know” i would have voted that, but since there isn’t i’m voting a big NO. Dime a dozen player normally, a few good games early in the season does not change that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Give him a 2-3 contract based off 13 games so far?? Good lord some or you! If there was an option for “too soon to know” i would have voted that, but since there isn’t i’m voting a big NO. Dime a dozen player normally, a few good games early in the season does not change that.
I wouldn't do three years, but I'd do two. And that's not based off this year, but also last year and the year prior to that. I was happy when we picked him up because he was a good player for NJ. He's been a good player here. He's making $800K--for a modest increase you can still either bury him and have his entire cap hit wiped off the books or almost all of it, depending on the exact number.

Reactions: Fitzy

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Players like him don’t do favors or take cuts - they get all they can because they’re borderline pros .
True. And Rooney should get as much as he can. I think we can give him a competitive two year deal though. No reason not to. “Worst” case, if someone better emerges, trade him. Unless NYR gives him a NTC :)

Reactions: Kocur26

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Pass - hands like feet .
Too much ice time too little production .
If you're expecting a fourth line center to focus on point production rather than zone time, faceoffs, killing penalties etc. then you probably need to recalibrate those expectations.

Rooney is a nice steady part of the lineup.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

I thought he was solid all of last year.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I said last season that Rooney does everything you want your 4C to do other than win faceoffs. This year, he's doing what he did last year and he's currently at 53.7% overall on faceoffs and 57.1% in the defensive zone. We should bring him back unless the plan is to break Barron in at 4C.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Players like him don’t do favors or take cuts - they get all they can because they’re borderline pros .

There's some give and take there. If Rooney signs here, he knows the 4C spot is his. If he signs with another team, he has to fight for his spot and could end up in the AHL. For a borderline guy like Rooney, just having a contract for next year is a big plus, because he knows he could just as easily be looking at PTOs and camp invites on the open market.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think one thing with respect to him taking a "discount" or not is that it might not be necessary. Feels like with the flat cap, it's the guys at the fringes of the roster that are the ones getting squeezed. The top- and mid-tier guys are still getting paid, it's the guys like Rooney that have to scrounge.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like "the hands" but I don't think we really need to pay more for his role than we already do.

I don't think we can really afford to either.
I’d rather pay 1.2 for a guy we know is acceptable than gamble on a 950k player like McKegg that could end up being terrible.

If we were talking abott it a wing I’d feel differently but the 4C is an important role especially since he’s one of our top 4 penalty killing forwards.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Rooney were better in the defensive end he'd be an amazing 4th line center. I find he's kinda 'meh' there though which really means the fourth lines benefit is mostly their ability to forecheck and cycle quite well in the offensive zone. Which is fine. He and Hunt and Reeves are pretty decent at that. But not worth paying a premium.
1.2 might not be bad if we see the cap going up and some other guys re-signing for less than we anticipated but yeah I feel hesitant about paying Reeves what, 1.75? I'm too lazy to look it up...then Rooney 1.2-1.5, then what are we gonna give hunt 1.1? It's not an incredibly expensive fourth line but feels like you start getting nickle and dimed to death there
ultimately probably better to hold onto him over Blackwell in the expansion draft though

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
you give him an extra year to lower the aav because buying out that aav if necessary won’t be super consequential.

BroadwayHustle

Feb 27, 2012
Rooney has been our best 4th line C in years. If he is willing to take a deal that gives him some term instead of money, you take it.

The guys like Richards that we have in the AHL can play wing or move Rooney to wing when the time comes.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He’s a solid player on an average team…

He’s a castoff …

Yet we have simpletons who think he’s Guy Carbonneau …

We should be looking to upgrade from Rooney from Strome etc …

Think people think
I'm high too... no, he actually attempts to play center. I think folks are being a little unrealistically conservative when they say under $1M. Not knowing the market for bottom six centers now are coming up, but I think it might go into the 2s if he keeps giving that third line offense.

He find a way to get things done no matter what it is.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
If you're expecting a fourth line center to focus on point production rather than zone time, faceoffs, killing penalties etc. then you probably need to recalibrate those expectations.

Rooney is a nice steady part of the lineup.
Incorrect

The Islanders were loaded down the middle - all produced throughout the lineup .
Bailey , Czikas, Barzal, Brassard , Nelson, Kommarov …
That’s high end depth …

Do you know where Rooney fits on that list ? - he doesn’t.

Up your expectations- that mindset is why we have one Cup in a 80 years .

High end quality depth wins in pro sports

That’s why we landed mactavish and moved nemchinov down And Olcyzk to the press box …

sorry Rooney doesn’t excite me - nor does mckegg

Reactions: maris

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If Rooney were better in the defensive end he'd be an amazing 4th line center. I find he's kinda 'meh' there though which really means the fourth lines benefit is mostly their ability to forecheck and cycle quite well in the offensive zone. Which is fine. He and Hunt and Reeves are pretty decent at that. But not worth paying a premium.
1.2 might not be bad if we see the cap going up and some other guys re-signing for less than we anticipated but yeah I feel hesitant about paying Reeves what, 1.75? I'm too lazy to look it up...then Rooney 1.2-1.5, then what are we gonna give hunt 1.1? It's not an incredibly expensive fourth line but feels like you start getting nickle and dimed to death there
ultimately probably better to hold onto him over Blackwell in the expansion draft though

Hunt is signed for next season. Signed a 2 year deal this past offseason.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I like Rooney a lot. But I’d wager he prices himself out. He’s 29 and most likely looking for a 3 year deal

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The 2020-21 season is just Rooney's "Hands" Across America tour.

My favourite part about him is he goes back to the bench every time looking like he did good hockey things for the first time ever and looks at his teammates sitting next to him for validation.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2