research project - anyone want to help?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
to take up some of my free time that I now have since I'm not in the draft, I thought I'd take a look at all of the 2000+ drafted and mentioned players from last year's round of drafting and analyze them based on when and where they played. I think it would be interesting to see stats like this:

"as of the end of the ATD, there were 55 players drafted who were active as of 1935, 75 who were active as of 1965, 125 who were active as of 1985 and 100 who were active in 2000."

I could use this data to make charts and graphs and basically see if the demographics that we've been drafting match what we typically think about the fluctuations in the talent pool over the year, and if any eras tend to be over- or under-represented in our drafting relative to that.

you would basically just have to take a list of players who were drafted, and then provide a start and end season for their meaningful career, and break it down by league. example:

Slava Fetisov: 1979-1989 USSR, 1990-1998 NHL

this will allow me to analyze the data in two ways. in the simpler way described above, and also knowing their leagues I could break down those 125 players from 1985 and show how many were NHLers, how many were playing in the USSR, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, etc.

I can do all the analysis, and of course a lot of the legwork too. It would just help if I had a couple of hockey-reference.com mules to get through the tedious part faster. Let me know if you are interested.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Great idea. I think it would help if we divided it up by rounds - each volunteer picks a round (or a few) of the last ATD to analyze first.

I'll be able to help when I'm done administering the HOH Top Defensemen Project.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
there also needs to be a conversation about what constitutes "meaningful".

I think it's obvious that the AHL was meaningful through the 1967 season and then not after that. Probably the same thing with the WHL. The WHA would of course be meaningful, along with the PCHA, NHA, WCHL/WHL. So would any elite league in europe. I would call the AHA meaningful as it was the AHL's predecessor and was loaded with past and future NHLers. Also, that league that spawned Nels Stewart, Lionel Conacher, Ching Johnson and my favourite goalie would have to be meaningful. As would the big 4 league. And pretty much anything before 1920 aside from junior.

senior hockey... where do we draw that line? you have to think that it was significant at least as long as Moose Watson was active, but how much after that?

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
I've been compiling bio links for VI's seemingly abandoned brainchild so I could definitely help providing some of these career spans.

TDMM's idea of taking on round(s) seems like a good way to organize it, is there anywhere you've started and/or are lacking? I've been starting from the top and can easily provide the info for something like rounds 1-3, 3-6, or whatever works really. EB gave me a ton of bios that span various rounds so it wouldn't hurt to start wherever.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
could help here and there in the later rounds

as long as what you ask is clear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad