Report: white tail deer could be reservoir for Covid19

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Having a good proportion of carnivores to prey ratio is a sign of a healthy ecosystem. I see a lot of coyotes in the area I'm located (suburban environment near the Great Lakes), so that might be a positive.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Having a good proportion of carnivores to prey ratio is a sign of a healthy ecosystem. I see a lot of coyotes in the area I'm located (suburban environment near the Great Lakes), so that might be a positive.

I have seen 4 coyotes in the last 20 years in and around the City of Milwaukee. Last week's was big and healthy looking.

I assume that they are eating rabbits because I see fewer rabbits near my home in the suburbs than 10 or 20 years ago.

I don't go looking for coyotes at dawn or dusk. People have been posting photos of them from neighboring suburbs.

One was sleeping on a front porch, so they are used to humans.

I suppose a coyote could eat a deer, but the deer around here get so big that they look like they could eat a coyote!

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I have seen 4 coyotes in the last 20 years in and around the City of Milwaukee. Last week's was big and healthy looking.

I assume that they are eating rabbits because I see fewer rabbits near my home in the suburbs than 10 or 20 years ago.

I don't go looking for coyotes at dawn or dusk. People have been posting photos of them from neighboring suburbs.

One was sleeping on a front porch, so they are used to humans.

I suppose a coyote could eat a deer, but the deer around here get so big that they look like they could eat a coyote!
This is the Wikipedia.org subsection on diet of coyotes:

The coyote is ecologically the North American equivalent of the Eurasian golden jackal.[107] Likewise, the coyote is highly versatile in its choice of food, but is primarily carnivorous, with 90% of its diet consisting of meat. Prey species include bison (largely as carrion), white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk, bighorn sheep, pronghorn, rabbits, hares, rodents, birds (especially galliformes, young water birds and pigeons and doves), amphibians (except toads), lizards, snakes, turtles and tortoises, fish, crustaceans, and insects. Coyotes may be picky over the prey they target, as animals such as shrews, moles, and brown rats do not occur in their diet in proportion to their numbers.[22] However, terrestrial and/or burrowing small mammals such as ground squirrels and associated species (marmots, prairie dogs, chipmunks) as well as voles, pocket gophers, kangaroo rats and other ground-favoring rodents may be quite common foods, especially for lone coyotes.[108][109][110] More unusual prey include fishers,[111] young black bear cubs,[112] harp seals[113] and rattlesnakes. Coyotes kill rattlesnakes mostly for food (but also to protect their pups at their dens) by teasing the snakes until they stretch out and then biting their heads and snapping and shaking the snakes.[114] Birds taken by coyotes may range in size from thrashers, larks and sparrows to adult wild turkeys and, rarely, brooding adult swans and pelicans.[115][116][117][118] If working in packs or pairs, coyotes may have access to larger prey than lone individuals normally take, such as various prey weighing more than 10 kg (22 lb).[119][120] In some cases, packs of coyotes have dispatched much larger prey such as adult Odocoileus deer, cow elk, pronghorns and wild sheep, although the young fawn, calves and lambs of these animals are considerably more often taken even by packs, as well as domestic sheep and domestic cattle. In some cases, coyotes can bring down prey weighing up to 100 to 200 kg (220 to 440 lb) or more. When it comes to adult ungulates such as wild deer, they often exploit them when vulnerable such as those that are infirm, stuck in snow or ice, otherwise winter-weakened or heavily pregnant, whereas less wary domestic ungulates may be more easily exploited.[119][121][122][123][124][125][126]
Although coyotes prefer fresh meat, they will scavenge when the opportunity presents itself. Excluding the insects, fruit, and grass eaten, the coyote requires an estimated 600 g (1.3 lb) of food daily, or 250 kg (550 lb) annually.[22] The coyote readily cannibalizes the carcasses of conspecifics, with coyote fat having been successfully used by coyote hunters as a lure or poisoned bait.[7] The coyote's winter diet consists mainly of large ungulate carcasses, with very little plant matter. Rodent prey increases in importance during the spring, summer, and fall.[5]
The coyote feeds on a variety of different produce, including blackberries, blueberries, peaches, pears, apples, prickly pears, chapotes, persimmons, peanuts, watermelons, cantaloupes, and carrots. During the winter and early spring, the coyote eats large quantities of grass, such as green wheat blades. It sometimes eats unusual items such as cotton cake, soybean meal, domestic animal droppings, beans, and cultivated grain such as maize, wheat, and sorghum.[22]
In coastal California, coyotes now consume a higher percentage of marine-based food than their ancestors, which is thought to be due to the extirpation of the grizzly bear from this region.[127] In Death Valley, coyotes may consume great quantities of hawkmoth caterpillars or beetles in the spring flowering months.[128]

They are probably the best bet, predator-wise, in the area I live. You're right though they would probably prey on fawns more often than adults. They might gang up on an adult in the form of small packs. I've seen two together at a time. Also, the neat little predator-to-prey ratio gets complicated if one includes humans as overlapping with predators due to being omnivores. Humans are omnivores and thus they do overlap with predators in general.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad