Blue Jays Discussion: Report: Jays trade Lawrie, Nolin, Graveman & prospect Barreto to Oak for 3B Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Donaldson could very easily hit 35+ HR's and 110+ RBI's playing 82 games at the Rogers Center

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I don't pay much attention to the Blue Jays anymore but I knew Lawrie was very hyped a couple of years ago and when I just saw he was apart of this trade on twitter I thought Jays fans were gonna flip but it seems like none of you care! What happened to him?

He cant stay healthy and is an absolute moron.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't pay much attention to the Blue Jays anymore but I knew Lawrie was very hyped a couple of years ago and when I just saw he was apart of this trade on twitter I thought Jays fans were gonna flip but it seems like none of you care! What happened to him?

Injuries mainly.

I don't think anyone dislikes Lawrie or thinks he's a bad player, and I am sure everyone here wants to see Lawrie do well in Oakland.

But, Josh ****ing Donaldson is a ****ing beast.

Top 5 position player in MLB

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Can't stay healthy enough to reach his potential.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Holy ****! I take a nap and wake up to this news! Holy ****ing ****! AA pulled of a ****ing robbery. Jesus, I cannot believe this!

Bluejaysfan*

Lawrie's potential if he ever reached it was probably what Donaldson is now, so it's not really that big a loss. A big 3 of Bautista, Donaldson and Encarnacion is amazing. If the Jays can close this offseason with re-signing Cabrera and getting one of Lester/Shields/Scherzer...they would be title favourites imo

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The overall baseball IQ has drastically gone up with the additions of Martin and Donaldson.

We really need to a stud pitcher before I really call this team scary.....Oh yah and fix that bullpen also.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's pretty much a sure thing that we'll go after a reliever in FA now that Graveman and Nolin (more likely a starter) are dealt. Who knows, maybe even Janssen comes back. Soriano and Krod are more likely though I would think.

Bluejaysfan*

Imagine if the Leafs traded Rielly for Doughty...that's basically what this deal is. Sure everyone has a soft spot for Rielly but it's ****ing Doughty.:laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Donaldson is a legitimate MVP candidate. Arguably, the best 3B in baseball.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah we basically flipped Lawrie for a player that we hoped he would become for us. It took two bottom end starters (who will probably perform decently in Oakland) and our second best positional prospect to fill in the gap of value.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Wow. Donaldson is such a stud.

Still don't have great expectations with our pitching being what it is.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Can someone pinch me?

I honestly am still dumbfounded that we were able to upgrade Lawrie for Donaldson at the cost of a pair of #5 starters and a CF prospect 2 years away.

To top it off, after acquiring Donaldson. Sanchez, Norris and Pompey are STILL HERE!

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
.225 average? What .225 average? He hit .255 last year and is a career .268.

I don't think you can say we gave up nothing though. Nothing close to Donaldson sure, but Lawrie has always had that potential. He could breakout. Probably not, but he's still a competent 3B.

The only one I'm worried about is Barreto. He could be a stud someday. I'd say he's by far the best piece going back to Oakland even though he's the furthest off. It really sucks losing him.

Sucks losing Barreto but we still have Richard Urena who will actually stick at SS. Interested to see How they each handle Full season ball.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can someone pinch me?

I honestly am still dumbfounded that we were able to upgrade Lawrie for Donaldson at the cost of a pair of #5 starters and a CF prospect 2 years away with an MVP candidate.

To top it off, after acquiring Donaldson Sanchez, Norris and Pompey are STILL HERE!

This is the most socking thing. You mean to tell me Beane couldn't get anything better for one of the best players in the game?

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad he picked the Jays offer, but man, i feel like somebody else could have topped that with ease.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Harrison Perry ‏@harrisonperry 6m6 minutes ago
The second-best WAR in baseball over the last two years, behind Mike Trout? Josh Donaldson. #BlueJays #Jays

This I did not know. Sucks this thread is almost full

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Because we improved from and injury riddled, inconsistent 3rd baseman(Lawrie) to an all-star potential MVP, best 3rd baseman in the league(Donaldson).

When we got Lawrie, we thought he could get tot he point when Donaldson is now someday. But injuries have held him back, it's extremely unlikely he reaches his potential at this point. So now instead of that, we have Donaldson who is ridiculously good. Losing Lawrie has to be the least hurtful part of this trade because we upgraded by a mile at his position.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We need to add a top line starter. Go hard after Lester/Shields/Scherzer.

Deal Dickey if you need to.

Lester/Shields/Scherzer
Stroman
Buehrle
Hutch
Happ/Dickey

:drool:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Donaldson is a legitimate MVP candidate. Arguably, the best 3B in baseball.

Donaldson was second ranked in WAR the past two seasons only behind the best player in the league, Trout.

He's is without a doubt the best 3B in the league. Statistically, he is one of the best players in the league.

Edit: Whoops, already mentioned.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
.225 average? What .225 average? He hit .255 last year and is a career .268.

I don't think you can say we gave up nothing though. Nothing close to Donaldson sure, but Lawrie has always had that potential. He could breakout. Probably not, but he's still a competent 3B.

The only one I'm worried about is Barreto. He could be a stud someday. I'd say he's by far the best piece going back to Oakland even though he's the furthest off. It really sucks losing him. But there's so much question mark with an18 year old kid so far away, you can't worry about that.

must of misread taking the 5 for a 2 lol We upgraded Lawrie into Donaldson and Donaldson is probably Lawrie's peak. Donaldson will probably even get better at rogers.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Honestly, Donaldson might rival Trout as the best player in the AL in this tiny ball park.

Wow cant believe AA pulled off this trade.

We need a ACE pitcher now!

Bluejaysfan*

Ok before I get excited....
2014: Josh Donaldson signed a 1 year / $500k contract with the Oakland Athletics,

now what ?

He's under team control till 2019 (free agency)...in other words, he's here for at least the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad