Blue Jays Discussion: Report: Jays trade Lawrie, Nolin, Graveman & prospect Barreto to Oak for 3B Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
@MLBNetworkRadio: With regards to free agent starting pitchers, Anthopoulos tells #InsidePitch #BlueJays policy of not going past 5 years will stay in place

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If Rogers is indeed deciding to be money bags, we need to reel in Miller quickly to send a statement to the remaining class of free agents and trade targets that we are open for serious business and possibly get them to bend on demands.

Jaysfanatic*

@MLBNetworkRadio: With regards to free agent starting pitchers, Anthopoulos tells #InsidePitch #BlueJays policy of not going past 5 years will stay in place

Maybe trying to see if Lester will blink.

Jaysfanatic*

I agree. Look at Sabathia, yikes. Kevin Brown, etc. There's a lot of reasons why it's a good policy.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Getting my Rays closers all mixed up :'(

How does Melky not look at this team now with Martin and say **** it, Melky stay here. Melky love Toronto.

(I always picture the man talking like a caveman, he looks like one)

You must remember these players have HUGE egos. He will want the most money possible and longest contract as possible. He must feed his family.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Of what I always say, use options to get around the rule.

If Lester pitches say 800 IP over the first 5 years then it kicks in 2 vesting years of guaranteed money. Then Lester gets the 7 years if he is healthy while we get the security of an "out" should he run into injury problems.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wonder what kind of deal? Happ, Navarro and one of the pitching prospects like Nolin, or Norris?

You misspelled Graveman, hell no to including Norris for Fister.

Of what I always say, use options to get around the rule.

If Lester pitches say 800 IP over the first 5 years then it kicks in 2 vesting years of guaranteed money. Then Lester gets the 7 years if he is healthy while we get the security of an "out" should he run into injury problems.

But if someone else is offering 7 years of guaranteed money, regardless of IP, injury or whatever, why would he come here with a vesting option that depends on IP? We'd have to make it worth his while by adding a few million, otherwise it's still guaranteed money > not guaranteed money for those last 2 years.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Maybe trying to see if Lester will blink.

Lester won't have to. Someone will give him more than five. It's not like the Jays are the Yankees and can use championship pedigree as leverage. If they refuse to go past five, they're not getting Lester.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If the Jays re-sign Melky they should put Martin in the 2 hole and Melky in the 5 hole. Melky may not have big power but he would drive in a lot of runs because he get's a lot of base hits. His OBP really hasn't been that impressive compared to his average... .350 OBP is very good put only 50 points higher then his OBP - where as Martin's OBP was 110 points higher then his average. Melky is OK defensively let's not act like he's a great defender because he's made some nice diving catches... When Bautista and Melky lay out for a diving catch - sure they look nice but if it was a guy like Gose he probably get's there standing up. I would give Melky 11-13 million a year over 4 years max. 4 years 50 million seems like a very fair offer IMO. Is he worth much more then 12.5 per?

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Lester won't have to. Someone will give him more than five. It's not like the Jays are the Yankees and can use championship pedigree as leverage. If they refuse to go past five, they're not getting Lester.

Why would Lester play 7 years for 130M if he could play for 5 years and 130M

There's no harm in being aggressive with the 5 year offer. Truthfully Id rather give Lester a few million more per year when we've got a lighter payroll than be saddled for 7 years.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Wonder what kind of deal? Happ, Navarro and one of the pitching prospects like Nolin, or Norris?

You'd be looking at secondary prospects. Not a Norris. I'm not sure what their needs are exactly or even what they hope to return.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

There's no harm in being aggressive with the 5 year offer. Truthfully Id rather give Lester a few million more per year when we've got a lighter payroll than be saddled for 7 years.

why would we pay him 130 for 5 if we could pay him 132 for 7 and it still be the best offer? We'd get him an extra 2 years for essentially a mill per.

I get your point, tack on a few mill per year and make it over 5 years, but I don't think you need to go to the same money as the 7 year offer.

Say if someone offers that 130 for 7. Then you offer 120 or 125 for 5. It's not the same money but it's a fair bit more per year, which means he could probably recoup the extra 5 or 10 million he misses the following 2 years. If you want, you could put in a vesting option in this scenario that Woodman was talking about. Say if you offer 120/5, then have a vesting option for an extra 15 million for 2 years or something.

I don't know, I just think it's stupid to miss out on a elite free agent because you're too busy worrying about overpaying him in the final 2 years.

I mean we're not worried about overpaying Martin for the final year or 2, the cutoff shouldn't be the same for every free agent, otherwise we're putting outselves out of range for all the good free agents, and possibly get all the guys that everyone else knows it would be extremely stupid to give more than 5.

Like if you're willing to offer a meh free agent 5 then the limit on an elite free agents should not be 5 as well. It should vary based on the talent level, and age, etc.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Sort of like Burke's Christmas trade freeze. Didn't Burke also have a 5 year contract limit too?

Leafs fans can only wish they had some sort of policy now. Riddled with bad contracts and in a cap league no less. And it hasn't helped them land any star FAs

Living proof that those types of internal policies do more good than harm

Jaysfanatic*

Leafs fans can only wish they had some sort of policy now. Riddled with bad contracts and in a cap league no less. And it hasn't helped them land any star FAs

Living proof that those types of internal policies do more good than harm

True.

Dion PhanWOOF. :laugh:

Kessel's 8 year deal is fine, but just wait until they sign Stamkos in 2016!

I like the policy myself. Hopefully Lester takes 5 for more money from us.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

You're right, but I don't think the Jays are willing to go that far beyond the next best offer.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The Rays designated Molina for assignment. I wonder if the Jays will put together a package involving Navarro to snag Zobrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad