Rene Lecavalier Divisional Finals: Minnesota vs. Lada

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Don't forget all the top-20s. With modern players it's usually 7-8 points separating 10th and 20th. Recchi does look better in the big picture but you honestly don't have to go that far to make that point, and I wasn't trying to . His peak is more than good enough.

I can't think of 32 RWs I would rather have.
Wow. You are correct. There are a handful of players that it is disputable, and if he's worse than all of them he's out of the top 32. But he is a low and 1st liner, high end 2nd liner. It feels wrong, but the weakness of the RW position never stops astounding me. Every draft it just seems to sink lower and lower.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You know what sucks the most about a job where you're on call all the time? When you get that call. So sorry about the lack of participation on my part in this so far, my weekend starting Thursday was prettymuch an absolute trainwreck. I think I had to respond to 5 different codes yesterday alone.

Just curious on this one, how was the WCHL regarded vs the PCHA when the two were head to head as premier leagues out west? I know starting in 1923 (2nd year of the WCHL's existence) it was NHL vs WCHL in the Cup Finals, but is that more a result of the individual leagues those years being stronger or is that a result of the league as a whole being a bit stronger? It was a different team all 3 times for the WCHL, but I'm not sure if that's just anecdotal evidence or if there's more to it then that.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You know what sucks the most about a job where you're on call all the time? When you get that call. So sorry about the lack of participation on my part in this so far, my weekend starting Thursday was prettymuch an absolute trainwreck. I think I had to respond to 5 different codes yesterday alone.

Just curious on this one, how was the WCHL regarded vs the PCHA when the two were head to head as premier leagues out west? I know starting in 1923 (2nd year of the WCHL's existence) it was NHL vs WCHL in the Cup Finals, but is that more a result of the individual leagues those years being stronger or is that a result of the league as a whole being a bit stronger? It was a different team all 3 times for the WCHL, but I'm not sure if that's just anecdotal evidence or if there's more to it then that.

1922: The WCHL and PCHA were separate and the PCHA still looks to have been the stronger league based on the names in it. The Regina Capitals (WCHL) and Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA) had a "semifinal" in which the winner went on to play Toronto.

1923 & 1924: The WCHL and PCHA played an interlocking schedule but were separate leagues. Our perception would probably tend to be that the PCHA was stronger, except that the WCHL had a winning record in the inter-league games over the course of these two seasons. These are the years you are asking about. In both years, the NHL and PCHA champions faced off to determine who got to face the WCHL champ. I have no idea why this way was chosen. I think they could have just has easily done it the other way. So to answer your questions, no, it doesn't mean much, as the WCHL champ didn't have to beat anyone to get to the final.

1925 & 1926: The PCHA disbanded and its players scattered, mostly to the WCHL. This league was now as strong as the NHL, perhaps stronger. Its champion faced the NHL's champion for the cup. (in 1926 it was just called the WHL, dropping the C)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1922: The WCHL and PCHA were separate and the PCHA still looks to have been the stronger league based on the names in it. The Regina Capitals (WCHL) and Vancouver Millionaires (PCHA) had a "semifinal" in which the winner went on to play Toronto.

1923 & 1924: The WCHL and PCHA played an interlocking schedule but were separate leagues. Our perception would probably tend to be that the PCHA was stronger, except that the WCHL had a winning record in the inter-league games over the course of these two seasons. These are the years you are asking about. In both years, the NHL and PCHA champions faced off to determine who got to face the WCHL champ. I have no idea why this way was chosen. I think they could have just has easily done it the other way. So to answer your questions, no, it doesn't mean much, as the WCHL champ didn't have to beat anyone to get to the final.

1925 & 1926: The PCHA disbanded and its players scattered, mostly to the WCHL. This league was now as strong as the NHL, perhaps stronger. Its champion faced the NHL's champion for the cup. (in 1926 it was just called the WHL, dropping the C)

Thanks, it's something that I never really have had the chance to research all that much myself. Definitely would make for a nice side-project for this summer once (if) I get the time to do so.

And yeah, that really doesn't make sense for 1923 & 1924. Not the PCHA vs WCHL record itself but the NHL vs PCHA to play the WCHL champion for the Cup. I can definitely see myself using a bit of Sturm's information that he digs up to see what sense I can make of that.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
With voting opening today or tomorrow, I figured it's time to do this.

Top three reasons why Minnesota should win:

1. Maurice Richard. Minnesota has an overall offensive advantage, but what makes it a striking game breaking advantage is the Rocket. With Balon or Pandolfo shadowing him, and Pospisil, Neilson and Awrey their left side d-men. Only Neilson has the ability to have the slightest effect on Richard's production. And even then, he's hardly the defensive master they'd need. Given Richard's ability to play his best when most needed, and given Lada's inability to contain him under the best circumstances, Richard's performance should be game changing.
2. Defence corps. Top to bottom, Minnesota has a clear advantage on the blueline in every facet of the game.
3. Any advantage Lada has is not significant enough. Advantages like goaltending and 2nd line are neutralized by Minnesota's advantages like 3rd line and coaching. Letting the big game changing advantages of Richard and Defence to change the game.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm still not really convinced that both of your top pair are better then Seibert. But as I said, you definitely have the better top pair.

my reasons to vote for Lada:
1 - counterattack off the first line. Richard will do his damage, but how well can Minnesota counter the what will be thrown back at them by Clarke, Balon and Hossa when they get the puck?
2 - superior second line. Hawerchuk and especially Joliat could be effective first liners in this draft on many a team, but being able to roll them as a 2nd line could very well be the difference in this series.
3 - Goaltending. And that's not a knock on Lehman since he's a very effective goalie in his own right. But he's just not quite on par with Brimsek. It's the biggest area where Lada will have to hope to steal a game or two, and he's quite capable of doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad