René Lecavalier Divisional Seminfinals: Hartford vs. Lada

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Lada's got a pretty big coaching advantage here, though, and Shero's also got the Kasper line to troll Mario when he can't get Clarke out there. Mario's got his work cut out for him.
Advantage in line-matching though? How good of a linematcher was Shero?

As I said, I don't think Kasper can be very effective against Mario. He's a dwarf going up against a center that's much bigger.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Matching the Clarke line against opponents' top offensive units was a big part of Philly's strategy and success. seventies could probably tell you more about the specifics.

Yeah, while it's true anecdotally that the Clarke line would get the heavy matchups most often, anecdotes and stats also show that Shero was a big time "everyone is equally important" coach who split the ice time up much more evenly among 12 forwards than any other coach I've seen. So even if Clarke was getting the tough minutes, the ice time distribution probably meant it wasn't as "strict" as it would be if a strict matchup coach was in charge.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Advantage in line-matching though? How good of a linematcher was Shero?

As I said, I don't think Kasper can be very effective against Mario. He's a dwarf going up against a center that's much bigger.

I'm starting to sense why you think so many 80s and early 90s players are "overrated".. you don't know that much about them:

The Pittsburgh Press said:

The Bruins were effective containing center Mario Lemieux, who was held without a point for the second consecutive game.

Most of the credit goes to centers Steve Kasper and Dwight Foster, although O'Reilly deserves recognition for his creative approach to defensing Lemieux on the powerplay.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
So many? Like whom?

BTW Sturm thinks I hate on active players, you think I hate on 80s players...? Really? :laugh:

I think you have unusually large biases for and against players you have seen, make hyperbolic statements which you then refuse to disavow, and are at times almost completely impervious to facts. I think you place far too much value in your own memories and impressions, which are flawed like everyone else's, and far too little value in quantifiable measures of performance. This tends to affect your opinions of modern players moreso than others, but it is not specifically a case of "hating on modern players".

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I think you have unusually large biases for and against players you have seen, make hyperbolic statements which you then refuse to disavow, and are at times almost completely impervious to facts. I think you place far too much value in your own memories and impressions, which are flawed like everyone else's, and far too little value in quantifiable measures of performance. This tends to affect your opinions of modern players moreso than others, but it is not specifically a case of "hating on modern players".
It may be true, to an extent. Now if I only knew which players this affects.:D

@BC: I doubt you're old enough to have seen the Leafs win a Cup, so it seems to be better to be a Whalers/Canes fan, thank you very much.:laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Isn't liking Hartford and Carolina punishment enough? ;)

And I say this in all seriousness as a Leafs fan hahaha

... You do realize that applies to both managers in this series. ;)

And people wonder why the Canes board has become so sarcastic and has produced some of the best trolls in HF history. Gotta find something to do for fun when you have Paul Maurice as a coach for that long. :sarcasm:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Not surprised TBH, Clarke-led team isn't a nice matchup for a pure offense squad, especially when one doesn't have the will and time to debate heavily. :laugh:

Good luck going further Dave, WhalerCanes represent!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to Dave on winning the battle of my former co-GM's. Best of luck to you for the rest of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad