René Lecavalier Divisional Quarterfinals: Montréal vs. Guelph

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Good case, seriously, but I have to ask about this part. How is a goalie shrugging off his personal numbers (i.e. sometimes being OK with allowing a goal) ever a good thing for his team?

On the other hand, how is taking your personal numbers very seriously a bad thing for the team? I mean, it's 100% apparent how a forward or a defenseman can play for themselves and hurt the team, but how can a goalie do it? By stopping the puck more often? that helps the team, I thought.

Of course a goalie stopping the puck more often is better.

However, guys like Fuhr and Osgood are a good thing on a team that is going to play an offensive style or give up fewer but possibly higher quality chances because if you have (a recent example like) Jonas Gustavsson who starts staring down his defensemen and breaking sticks over the net because he gets left out to dry on occasion... he is losing focus and your team isn't functioning well together.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Play making centers: I can't believe you tried to go here. Let's look at our top 3 post-expansion center's career assists to be fair to be Barry for the difference in era. Let's use centers only for greater clarity. All of 3 of mine are in the top 17 all time. Sakic is top 7, but Richards is outside the top 60, and even adjusting for era Barry would not be top 17 all time. Advantage me.

Match ups: My playmaking centers, d-men, and goal tending (Billy Smith > Fuhr & Osgood) are all superior. I'm glad you're using Osgood, it just means more goals for my team. Advantage me.

Conclusion: From play making centers to d-men to goal tending, my team is clearly superior.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Play making centers: I can't believe you tried to go here. Let's look at our top 3 post-expansion center's career assists to be fair to be Barry for the difference in era. Let's use centers only for greater clarity. All of 3 of mine are in the top 17 all time. Sakic is top 7, but Richards is outside the top 60, and even adjusting for era Barry would not be top 17 all time. Advantage me.

This is bunk. I don't know why you keep returning to these career total arguments.

Comparing career assists among players whose careers are done to players who are active??? Richards already has more top finishes in assists than Turgeon, and he is still playing!

Barry is a better goal scorer than Savard and Turgeon by a significant margin and was tied as the top point producer over a decade span in the NHL.

I'd be shocked if you win this series by touting your centers career assists.

Match ups: My playmaking centers, d-men, and goal tending (Billy Smith > Fuhr & Osgood) are all superior. I'm glad you're using Osgood, it just means more goals for my team. Advantage me.

Fuhr is our starter in the playoffs and I'd say he and Smith are very comparable in that environment.

Conclusion: From play making centers to d-men to goal tending, my team is clearly superior.

I'd be interested to see some valid arguments backing up that assertion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad