OT: Remember this Don Murdoch

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He was my favorite player. Seemed like he kind of got blackballed but guess he was not as professional as he should have been. I did not know he asked for a trade back then. Talent wise and production wise the trade for Cam Connor did not make much sense. Many people do not realize even after the trade to Edm he tied Gretzky for the team lead in playoff goals. He had 2 in 3 games. Back then before social media you did not know all the behind the scenes stuff. Today it often leaks out.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
lol at "mostly all the Rangers were getting high"
fans, too
mid'70's, between periods of home games, the stairwells were packed with pot smokers

(Knicks games, stairwells also packed, but more variety on their menu)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Conservative as some boomers may seem today and whether they’ll admit to it or not a very high % of them were doing all kinds of shit back in the 70’s and 80’s.

Murdoch made the Rangers his draft year. Back then the draft age I think wasn’t 17/18 it was older 19/20. Bossy was drafted around the same time and really if Don had kept it together he probably would have given him a run for his money because he could just flat out score goals. He was popular among his teammates at least if you go by the book A season in Hell by Larry Sloman which was an insider’s look at the Rangers 1979 team.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Conservative as some boomers may seem today and whether they’ll admit to it or not a very high % of them were doing all kinds of shit back in the 70’s and 80’s.

Murdoch made the Rangers his draft year. Back then the draft age I think wasn’t 17/18 it was older 19/20. Bossy was drafted around the same time and really if Don had kept it together he probably would have given him a run for his money because he could just flat out score goals. He was popular among his teammates at least if you go by the book A season in Hell by Larry Sloman which was an insider’s look at the Rangers 1979 team.
Most of you are too young to remember when New York significantly tightened laws targeting drug dealers In the 1970s. It changed things. The dealers I knew in college were so scared they had going out of business sales.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Most of you are too young to remember when New York significantly tightened laws targeting drug dealers In the 1970s. It changed things. The dealers I knew in college were so scared they had going out of business sales.

I was stationed on Governor’s Island from late ‘82 to early ‘85 and in the last couple years they would sometimes do random drug tests and they always had at least several guys/gals being discharged or even sometimes off to the brig (which was in Philly on the east coast back then) for a spell before being discharged. People drank and partied and did drugs and whatnot all the time and they weren’t always very careful. They were set up a lot sometimes even by the civilians who dealt. We weren’t different really from the rest of society.….just a microcosm of it and I’m sure the rest of the services were the same. The Rockefeller drug laws were some serious shit though.

Reactions: bobbop and egelband

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
I thought he was great.
There are some people who can do that shit and you wouldn’t know it because it didn’t effect their performance.
Unfortunately, he wasn’t one of them.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Literally just watched this few days ago had no idea what he went through. However good on him for persevering and making the best of it. That rookie goal scoring though hot damn he had talent !!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I think Donnie was drafted a year before Bossy. He was our Bossy but he was not nearly as good as Bossy. Bossy could score from anywhere on the ice. His slapshots and snapshots were elite. I say that despite Donnie being my favorite player at that time.
I have read that book so many times. Never knew how wild Don Maloney was before that book.

maris

Oct 20, 2005
I think Donnie was drafted a year before Bossy. He was our Bossy but he was not nearly as good as Bossy. Bossy could score from anywhere on the ice. His slapshots and snapshots were elite. I say that despite Donnie being my favorite player at that time.
I have read that book so many times. Never knew how wild Don Maloney was before that book.
snowman had back to back hat tricks

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
My first memories of NYC were smelling like garbage and cigarettes in the late 80s when I was very young.

NYC from the late 70s-early 90s was not the glamorous place it was around the time the Rangers won the Cup. It could be quite dangerous. Go watch any movie by Larry Cohen or Abel Ferrara to get a sense of the vibe. Yes these are movies and the plots are exaggerated, but both men took a lot of guerilla background footage of people on the streets so you'll get a sense of everyday life.

It's proven to be hard to play in such a big city for any sport but especially for Canadian farm kids. It can be intense which probably was the case for Don Murdoch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad