Remaining CBJ games with no fans? (COVID-19 pandemic thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
No , they are specifically instructed to not ask about it , because as they admit it will lead to a spike in the numbers , and they feel the cause is worth it .

No, they're told to not ask about it because it would be inappropriate to do so. If they aren't going to specifically ask about other high-risk activities that many are participating in, why should they specifically ask about protests?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Are the health officials quoted and the statistics coming from the health department just completely fabricated?

I also just read the article you provided. So what? It reads to me like they're also not specifically being asked about attending church, going to bars, etc. Wtf does it matter if they are or are not specifically asked about a protest? They are asked about risky behavior (details cited in the article) and a protest would fall under those parameters in most cases.
In Ohio , Dewine admitted last week that 1 person can account for multiple positive test in Ohio, and each time that is counted as a new case . So 1 person may test 5 times positive before they are completely rid of the virus , yet the way it’s tracked is there was so and so many new cases today .

Reactions: thebus88

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
No, they're told to not ask about it because it would be inappropriate to do so. If they aren't going to specifically ask about other high-risk activities that many are participating in, why should they specifically ask about protests?
New York City officials have taken a soft stance over fears that mass protests could lead to a spike in coronavirus cases. “Let’s be clear about something: if there is a spike in coronavirus cases in the next two weeks, don’t blame the protesters. Blame racism,” Mark Levine, head of the city council’s health committee, tweeted earlier this month.
The mayor, whose daughter was arrested during a Manhattan protest over the death of George Floyd, is facing a lawsuit from Catholics and Jews for violating the constitutional rights of religious New Yorkers by placing restrictions on religious services. But De Blasio has pushed back on claims that he has been hypocritical in allowing protests to proceed while keeping religious services shuttered.
“When you see . . . an entire nation, simultaneously grappling with an extraordinary crisis seated in 400 years of American racism, I’m sorry, that is not the same question as the understandably aggrieved store owner or the devout religious person who wants to go back to services,” de Blasio said in a press conference earlier this month.

Just to be clear , next time you hear in the news that cases are spiking because business is opening up... yet every business I have been in the businesses are going out if their way to make sure social distancing occurs, but yet the fact finders are instructed intentionally not to ask about the protest , it’s because they don’t want to have to report what’s really driving that spike, 20-49 age range . After all , they justify why it’s ok to tell business owners , religious people why they can’t go back... because it’s not as important in their mind ,that’s in the last paragraph

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
In Ohio , Dewine admitted last week that 1 person can account for multiple positive test in Ohio, and each time that is counted as a new case . So 1 person may test 5 times positive before they are completely rid of the virus , yet the way it’s tracked is there was so and so many new cases today .

A link for this would be nice (I'm not in Ohio so I'm not up to date on Ohio-specific news), but I'm not sure what your point is either way.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
New York City officials have taken a soft stance over fears that mass protests could lead to a spike in coronavirus cases. “Let’s be clear about something: if there is a spike in coronavirus cases in the next two weeks, don’t blame the protesters. Blame racism,” Mark Levine, head of the city council’s health committee, tweeted earlier this month.
The mayor, whose daughter was arrested during a Manhattan protest over the death of George Floyd, is facing a lawsuit from Catholics and Jews for violating the constitutional rights of religious New Yorkers by placing restrictions on religious services. But De Blasio has pushed back on claims that he has been hypocritical in allowing protests to proceed while keeping religious services shuttered.
“When you see . . . an entire nation, simultaneously grappling with an extraordinary crisis seated in 400 years of American racism, I’m sorry, that is not the same question as the understandably aggrieved store owner or the devout religious person who wants to go back to services,” de Blasio said in a press conference earlier this month.

Statistics are starting to grow that show that protests aren't significantly contributing to growing case numbers. More broadly, data is supporting the notion that being outside and wearing a mask is relatively low risk. You can just dismiss that data because it's in "MSM" but the quotes and the data are from the health department. Do you not trust the health department either?

I agree with De Blasio, so again, not following your logic to a point here.

Reactions: db2011

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
How do you turn that around into a shot at me ? You have the mayor telling people paid to trace the virus to specifically not ask if they attended a protest . New York City officials have taken a soft stance over fears that mass protests could lead to a spike in coronavirus cases. “Let’s be clear about something: if there is a spike in coronavirus cases in the next two weeks, don’t blame the protesters. Blame racism,” Mark Levine, head of the city council’s health committee, tweeted earlier this month.

Instead it’s become blame business and small business owners . Difference between us , I provide context to my arguments , rather than taking snide comments at you personally
I read the the article. I also googled the author, who writes for the National Review. I also looked at other articles he wrote, so let's say no surprise there, as he fits your agenda. Monk is correct, they aren't asking any other specifics, just relying on the person to give good information, and no one is stopping them from saying they were at a protest. As far as the comment you cherry-picked from the article, Mark Levine is correct, this (the protests) is happening because of racism, that is why there are protests. It is unfortunate that it has happened with the virus going on, but when something happens like this, to hold off protests until later would lose their effectiveness. The actual protesters for the most part have been wearing masks, plus they are outside, which makes a difference. There may be some cases coming from the protests, but I feel the majority is coming from reopening too fast. The spike would happen whether the protests were going on or not.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I read the the article. I also googled the author, who writes for the National Review. I also looked at other articles he wrote, so let's say no surprise there, as he fits your agenda. Monk is correct, they aren't asking any other specifics, just relying on the person to give good information, and no one is stopping them from saying they were at a protest. As far as the comment you cherry-picked from the article, Mark Levine is correct, this is happening because of racism, that is why there are protests. It is unfortunate that it has happened with the virus going on, but when something happens like this, to hold off protests until later would lose their effectiveness. The actual protesters for the most part have been wearing masks, plus they are outside, which makes a difference. There may be some cases coming from the protests, but I feel the majority is coming from reopening too fast. The spike would happen whether the protests were going on or not.

Since sharing anecdotal evidence about mask-wearing at protests seems relevant to Bread, I'll share my own: I've attended two protests and literally every single person I saw was wearing a mask. Maybe doesn't sound like it could be true, but it is - and I was actively looking for folks without masks.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Statistics are starting to grow that show that protests aren't significantly contributing to growing case numbers. More broadly, data is supporting the notion that being outside and wearing a mask is relatively low risk. You can just dismiss that data because it's in "MSM" but the quotes and the data are from the health department. Do you not trust the health department either?

I agree with De Blasio, so again, not following your logic to a point here.
Statistics are starting to show it isn’t from the protest , because your nor specifically allowed to ask if they attended a protest , that’s not jiving with you :help:.

perhaps this source will suffice monstershockey :laugh:

NYC COVID-19 Contact Tracers Not Asking About George Floyd Protest Participation, Despite Fears of New Virus Wave

So your not allowed to ask because we don’t want it to get out , but any other case you’ve been within 6 ft like a church, restaurant , bar ... please share :laugh:.

“No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.
Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”
Tracers then ask about “close contacts” — defined as being within six feet of another person for at least 10 minutes.

D598ECE3-6F29-4C72-9105-5A2344BE1F6D.jpeg

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Statistics are starting to show it isn’t from the protest , because your nor specifically allowed to ask if they attended a protest , that’s not jiving with you :help:.

NYC COVID-19 Contact Tracers Not Asking About George Floyd Protest Participation, Despite Fears of New Virus Wave

So your not allowed to ask because we don’t want it to get out , but any other case you’ve been within 6 ft like a church, restaurant , bar ... please share :laugh:.

“No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.
Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”
Tracers then ask about “close contacts” — defined as being within six feet of another person for at least 10 minutes.
I read this article too. I don't think you are understanding this. This article says basically the same thing as your other article, minus the Levine comment thrown in to take out of context. The picture of the protesters goes against everything you have said as all of them are wearing masks, or is that the part of the article we shouldn't trust.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

There are statistics from testing done specifically on protesters - did you click the link I included earlier?

I just truly can't believe you're saying what you're saying to the bold. They're not asking about any of those things specifically - the quote you included says that too. The next logical question after "Do you live with anyone in your home?" isn't "Did you attend a protest" any more so than it's "Did you go to church on Sunday?" - They aren't suspiciously leaving out protests as a specific question any more than other activities.

If you're so unworried about COVID, why are you so worried about tracking the protesters specifically?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
IF we are going to blame protests for the spike in coronavirus numbers, where is the documented increases in cases in the law enforcement community? There have been plenty of police officers out there not wearing masks either.

I don't doubt there there could be some from them because it is a large group of people but how many people are going to bars and clubs and not properly following what is being asked of them? Take protests out of the equation for a moment and just realize in general that young people who think they are invincible are gathering in mass in many different places. We saw it on day 1 at Standard Hall on High Street.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Will reiterate a point I made earlier. Stands to reason that both reopening and protests have contributed to spread. Both are differing degrees of risky behavior in the eyes of smart medical folks.

That said I think the sheer number of people going out is larger than the number of protestors. I would bet the % of protesters wearing masks is higher than mask wearing for going out to bars/restaurants/stores. Protesters are also outside, not inside with recirculating air, which by all accounts I have seen makes a difference.

So while I believe both have probably contributed to spread, my guess is the reopening of businesses -- or maybe more accurately THE COMPLETE DISREGARD OF DOING A VERY SIMPLE THING LIKE WEARING A MASK -- is a larger contributor.

Just my two pennies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Florida opened up may 18th..
IF we are going to blame protests for the spike in coronavirus numbers, where is the documented increases in cases in the law enforcement community? There have been plenty of police officers out there not wearing masks either.

I don't doubt there there could be some from them because it is a large group of people but how many people are going to bars and clubs and not properly following what is being asked of them? Take protests out of the equation for a moment and just realize in general that young people who think they are invincible are gathering in mass in many different places. We saw it on day 1 at Standard Hall on High Street.

LAPD coronavirus cases spike, adding to debate over role of protests in spread

Houston police see uptick in COVID cases after George Floyd protests

I just find in laughable that Texas and Florida started opening their states early may, mid may , and almost 2 weeks to the date of the protest , areas started seeing a dramatic increase in ages 20-49. Ohio opened may 21. I’m willing to admit that it’s definitely a combination of both aspects .

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

View attachment 351866

why are you even bringing Di Blasio and NYC into this? To sow nonsense misinformation that fits your politics. There’s no reason to bring NYC into this because there is no spike in coronavirus cases here. I live here, Di Blasio is my mayor (and he mostly stinks(. My peer group have all gone to multiple protests and there is no spike here. The spikes are in places where people think wearing masks is infringing on their liberty.

We will see a spike here though, I predict, because lots of people have been behaving as if “we beat the virus!” and acting stupid. But that’s what is causing the spikes, reopening. Being inside is the trouble. It’s been over a month of George Floyd/police brutality protests here in NYC and there is no spike in corona virus cases.

Coronavirus News: New York City protests haven't caused spike in COVID-19 cases

Reactions: Monstershockey

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Florida opened up may 18th..

LAPD coronavirus cases spike, adding to debate over role of protests in spread

Houston police see uptick in COVID cases after George Floyd protests

I just find in laughable that Texas and Florida started opening their states early may, mid may , and almost 2 weeks to the date of the protest , areas started seeing a dramatic increase in ages 20-49. Ohio opened may 21. I’m willing to admit that it’s definitely a combination of both aspects .

You mean right after this happened all over Florida and Texas?

spring_break.jpg

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I live in SC but work in NC. Masks are mandated in NC. Many are now wearing them but there are still plenty of idiots roaming around and coming into my shop not wearing them. Just put a f***ing mask on. It may be a pain in the ass but if there’s even a slight chance it’s going to help me or you I’d rather be minorly inconvenienced. Just f***ing wear them unless you have a legit reason not to. Or be labeled as a selfish POS and quite frankly I give zero shits if that upsets someone.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden Coronavirus: 78,166 Cases and 5,646 Deaths - Worldometer

Sweden is for all intents and purposes over this now. Their strategy worked-save for not taking better action on nursing homes/ALFs. Average age of COVID death in Sweden approximately 80.

Sweden also denied many COVID cases who were 80 years old and over ICU rooms. They ration health care so a fair percentage of those over 80 could have survived in the absence of their kill-the-old general health policies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad