OT: Relationship Advice Thread

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
She wanted to foster kids and I didn’t want kids. She told me this from the beginning but I dove in anyway and ruined my life.

I have a question, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. Is the reason you don't want kids something that might change over time or something you're set on?

My friends both didn’t want to have kids in their early 30s but now have a (planned) daughter because their values changed over time.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Basically same story for me but slightly newer lol how strange .. tho it's pretty much over for me before it began... let me know what you did how it turns out for you .

Well " Love kills" indeed.
Eh, I’ve been in this situation before and it pretty much never works out for me but my fingers are crossed. How did yours end before it began?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
if you are going to be miserable either way, call her.

You may be surprised. In a good way. How would you feel if you missed out on that?
I tried. She didn’t respond. She hates me so much. It’s so unfair, I was a good boyfriend. She’s treated me like I was abusive or unfaithful.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I tried. She didn’t respond. She hates me so much. It’s so unfair, I was a good boyfriend. She’s treated me like I was abusive or unfaithful.
Her not responding is a response. I know its not the response you hoped for but if she treated you that way maybe you are putting her on a pedestal that is not deserved.

I remember reading about a guy who thought he lost the only pretty girl that would ever love him. He was living in a laundromat and suicidal. He checked himself in to a mental clinic for 2 days and saw people with real issues and said he would never let himself get that low again. He later went on to marry a different very pretty lady. You may have heard of her. Her name is Christie Brinkley.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wish I could believe that. It’s been five months and I still want to die.
Piece of advice - you have to learn to accept things that are not in your control. This is something you have to actually work on, it doesn't "just happen" if you simply wish for it or say it. One way to start doing it would be an approach where for every negative thought, anxiety about future or missed opportunity etc you immediately identify 3 positive developments that happened as a result of a bad situation, and in case of concerns about the future - also 3 factors why negative situation won't occur. Again it is WORK that you have to do.

Also, I'm not sure about what is happening to your exercise and diet during this time but it's proven that your mental state is affected by the physical one. So if you've been ignoring this part of your life style - start taking steps to change it.

If you not going to take charge of your life (and you hate yourself) - you can see how it would be difficult for other people to do it too.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Sorry, what? Is this your interpretation of her not responding, or did she flat out accuse you of being abusive/unfaithful with no rationale?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry, what? Is this your interpretation of her not responding, or did she flat out accuse you of being abusive/unfaithful with no rationale?
It’s not just her not responding. She doesn’t have to talk to me if she doesn’t want to, I told her as much. But she was so cold and angry when we broke up the guilt has been driving me insane.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It’s not just her not responding. She doesn’t have to talk to me if she doesn’t want to, I told her as much. But she was so cold and angry when we broke up the guilt has been driving me insane.
Maybe I missed something but I have not read anything you would have such large guilt about. Did you mislead her in any way? How long were you together?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Maybe I missed something but I have not read anything you would have such large guilt about. Did you mislead her in any way? How long were you together?
9 months. She told me up front she wanted to foster and eventually adopt, and I naively went along with it because I thought I could do anything for her. She finally finished all her foster care classes, so we had a long talk about it one Friday night. I said I needed to think about it on my own and left (first thing I feel guilty about). She wasn’t upset with me at all she said she was proud of me for being honest.

I texted her that Sunday that I didn’t think I could do it, and she replied that it wouldn’t be fair if we stayed together. I kind of thought that was the breakup right there and I didn’t respond because I was so upset (second thing).

Thursday morning she texts me livid that I never responded. I tried to explain that I didn’t realize she was waiting for a response and that I was extremely upset. She offers to bring my stuff over after work and bring my stuff and breakup in person, if I wouldn’t be too upset. I told her I would probably be upset but she can come if she wants to (third thing). I ended up grabbing my stuff off her porch a couple weeks later; I couldn’t even see her to apologize in person.

I tried to be nice and apologized profusely but she totally put a wall up and was just angry and cold every time we spoke.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
9 months. She told me up front she wanted to foster and eventually adopt, and I naively went along with it because I thought I could do anything for her. She finally finished all her foster care classes, so we had a long talk about it one Friday night. I said I needed to think about it on my own and left (first thing I feel guilty about). She wasn’t upset with me at all she said she was proud of me for being honest.

I texted her that Sunday that I didn’t think I could do it, and she replied that it wouldn’t be fair if we stayed together. I kind of thought that was the breakup right there and I didn’t respond because I was so upset (second thing).

Thursday morning she texts me livid that I never responded. I tried to explain that I didn’t realize she was waiting for a response and that I was extremely upset. She offers to bring my stuff over after work and bring my stuff and breakup in person, if I wouldn’t be too upset. I told her I would probably be upset but she can come if she wants to (third thing). I ended up grabbing my stuff off her porch a couple weeks later; I couldn’t even see her to apologize in person.

I tried to be nice and apologized profusely but she totally put a wall up and was just angry and cold every time we spoke.
Wow that is an interesting situation. I do not think either one of you were in the wrong. She is entitled to want to foster kids and you are entitled to not want to even if that means you changed your mind. I do not have any advice but I think your guilt and her being so upset shows you both had real genuine feelings. Even if it did not work out it sounds like you both sincerely cared.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Wow that is an interesting situation. I do not think either one of you were in the wrong. She is entitled to want to foster kids and you are entitled to not want to even if that means you changed your mind. I do not have any advice but I think your guilt and her being so upset shows you both had real genuine feelings. Even if it did not work out it sounds like you both sincerely cared.
I also feel guilty that I couldn’t force myself to be on board with kids. I feel like something is wrong with me for not wanting kids. It was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make.

It was the best relationship I’ve ever had; everything was always great. I convinced myself that she was the absolute perfect person for me. It was just that one, single thing, and I don’t know how to move on. Breaking up a good relationship really sucks. I know I’ve become a cliché having convinced myself of another person’s perfection.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I also feel guilty that I couldn’t force myself to be on board with kids. I feel like something is wrong with me for not wanting kids. It was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make.

It was the best relationship I’ve ever had; everything was always great. I convinced myself that she was the absolute perfect person for me. It was just that one, single thing, and I don’t know how to move on. Breaking up a good relationship really sucks. I know I’ve become a cliché having convinced myself of another person’s perfection.
Yeah obviously there are no perfect people but I understand. Nothing wrong with you not wanting kids. Many people do not nowadays including females. I never wanted kids but now I wonder if I made the wrong decision. Sometimes people are just on different time frames. I'm very sorry you are feeling so much anguish about this. I really respect your honesty.

Reactions: aufheben

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

With most things, I feel like both parties can compromise. However, having kids (whether fostering or not) is sadly one of the very few things that you can't really compromise on.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Look, no stones cast here, no judgement… kids are the hardest thing you’ll ever do. They’re by far also 100x MORE rewarding than the second hardest thing you’ll ever do and I say that as someone with 3 tours in the Middle East and several years of special operations experience.

It’s a TERRIFYING proposition. Ours wasn’t planned and my wife cried and cried when she found out because she wasn’t sure if she wanted them, we hadn’t been rock solid at the time and she just didn’t feel ready. I just shit my pants but never mentioned it, because I’m a Mo’ effing badass stoic MFer and all.

Kids are everything. It’s the coolest thing in the world. And good, smart people need to procreate more because lots of dumb f***s are doing so en masse. It’s okay to not want kids, but if the person you lose because of it hurts so much you don’t know how to go on without them… that’s the person, if anyone, that you should be willing to eventually take that journey with. Because having a little you running around is the most amazing thing imaginable.

IMG_6422.jpeg
IMG_5225.jpeg
IMG_4721.jpeg
IMG_6980.jpeg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Look, no stones cast here, no judgement… kids are the hardest thing you’ll ever do. They’re by far also 100x MORE rewarding than the second hardest thing you’ll ever do and I say that as someone with 3 tours in the Middle East and several years of special operations experience.

It’s a TERRIFYING proposition. Ours wasn’t planned and my wife cried and cried when she found out because she wasn’t sure if she wanted them, we hadn’t been rock solid at the time and she just didn’t feel ready. I just shit my pants but never mentioned it, because I’m a Mo’ effing badass stoic MFer and all.

Kids are everything. It’s the coolest thing in the world. And good, smart people need to procreate more because lots of dumb f***s are doing so en masse. It’s okay to not want kids, but if the person you lose because of it hurts so much you don’t know how to go on without them… that’s the person, if anyone, that you should be willing to eventually take that journey with. Because having a little you running around is the most amazing thing imaginable.

View attachment 815061View attachment 815062View attachment 815063View attachment 815064

A little off topic but your son is what my not even remotely white Dominican wife wants me to give her (looks-wise). 😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: will1066

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

View attachment 815061View attachment 815062View attachment 815063View attachment 815064
Like I said it was the hardest decision I ever had to make, and I don’t know if it was the right one. Sometimes (like right now FFS) I feel like I’ve thrown my entire life away. I’ve never had to decide something like that before.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah obviously there are no perfect people but I understand. Nothing wrong with you not wanting kids. Many people do not nowadays including females. I never wanted kids but now I wonder if I made the wrong decision. Sometimes people are just on different time frames. I'm very sorry you are feeling so much anguish about this. I really respect your honesty.
I have to be honest. I’m terrified I’ll have to be hospitalized if I can’t figure this out on my own.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have to be honest. I’m terrified I’ll have to be hospitalized if I can’t figure this out on my own.
If you are thinking in such ways I think its important that you do speak to someone. I've lost both my parents in the last two years so I do understand how our minds can work but its important to realize in time grief lessons. Im concerned about you making these kind of statements. If you do not have a therapist maybe consider one over Zoom. You have value in this world girlfriend or no girlfriend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad