Recalled/Assigned: Reinhart & Oesterle Recalled; Benning & Khaira to IR | UPD: Back to BAK

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... If Reinhart plays 2 more NHL games doesn't he cross the threshold to waiver eligible? And doesn't his bonus structure cause us cap issues?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... If Reinhart plays 2 more NHL games doesn't he cross the threshold to waiver eligible? And doesn't his bonus structure cause us cap issues?

No, even if he hit his bonuses we would not go over. We have 15 million in space with only 7 million total in bonuses. There's about a zero percent chance he'd hit his bonuses anyway.

I'm surprised we wouldn't call up Fayne though. Maybe it's about pumping up Reinhart's confidence in light of his great play in the AHL. But who really knows?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hope Benning's back soon. He's been great. But because both Reinhart and Oesterle have been recalled, I think we won't have to see Gryba, and one of these 2 will get their chance. Which is nice, as I like both players.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hope Benning's back soon. He's been great. But because both Reinhart and Oesterle have been recalled, I think we won't have to see Gryba, and one of these 2 will get their chance. Which is nice, as I like both players.

Agreed. Gryba isn't helpful on the ice anymore.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I hope we get to see the Oesterle that was playing well in his small sample last season... he looked very solid and was a positive in the lineup.. hopefully that's still the case this season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah Benning is probably concussed for sure which sucks. Hopefully Reinhart takes this chance and establishes himself.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No, even if he hit his bonuses we would not go over. We have 15 million in space with only 7 million total in bonuses. There's about a zero percent chance he'd hit his bonuses anyway.

I'm surprised we wouldn't call up Fayne though. Maybe it's about pumping up Reinhart's confidence in light of his great play in the AHL. But who really knows?

Reinhart hitting his bonuses are not the issue. When he plays in the NHl his bonuses are essentially counted as hard cap money because the Oilers are well over the bonus cushion with McDavid, Drasiatl and Nurse.

Cap friendly does not track bonus money in their estimates for cap room. The Oilers are a lot closer to the $73M number than they would suggest. This is not really a huge issue right now but it does have consequences at the end of the season. If both Leon and McDavid hit their bonuses it is not unlikely that the Oilers could carry millions in cap overages into next year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rienhart is waver eligible next year regardless of how many games he plays.

His bonuses are essentially hard against the cap even if he has no chance to earn them because the Oilers are well over the bonus cushion.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So whats the chances Nurse is good to go after our 5 day break? Ever since that instagram post by him saying tick tock, I got th feeling hes going to back sooner then anticipated.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So whats the chances Nurse is good to go after our 5 day break? Ever since that instagram post by him saying tick tock, I got th feeling hes going to back sooner then anticipated.
I'd still give him till the end of the month. That's still being generous.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thats right on schedule though?

Hes already skating as of last week, I guess we will see.

He was supposed to be back in March I believe so him coming back any time in February would be ahead of schedule. Him skating doesn't necessarily mean that he's close.
I prefer that they take their time with him and don't rush him back because Benning is now out for a while.

Khaira being on IR really bums me out. I don't know why Spector tweeted a week ago that he and Nurse were close to returning.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think we'll get a good read on Reinhart during this call up. I hope it's a good one.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Time to see if Reinhart has a future here or if he's on a Teubert trajectory. He's played well in Bako the last few weeks apparently. Oesterle is pretty predictable and the coaches will have some trust in him as a bottom pair guy.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I hope we get to see the Oesterle that was playing well in his small sample last season... he looked very solid and was a positive in the lineup.. hopefully that's still the case this season.

Yes, that would be great?

Is Oesterle a player the Oilers could potentially lose in the expansion draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad