Reformatted OHL Draft Pick Database

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, Eamon5! I added the information. Side note: if Barrie doesn't make that swap, that's a rather lopsided trade for London.

Every pick that's been traded in the last week has been correct in the database, so that's encouraging! Here's hoping we go perfect for the trade deadline.

rgr4life

Jan 9, 2017
You have both Sarnia and Saginaw owning Kitchener's 3rd in 2017. I believe it should be Sarnia. Kitchener sent it to Saginaw in the Paterson deal. Somehow it ended up in Peterborough who just sent it to Sarnia.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Incredible work ScoresFromCentre! Much appreciated. I have corrected the Flint Draft selections on page 30 of Flint's team page.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, rgr4life. No idea how that pick went from Saginaw to Peterborough, though the database has a bit of a blind spot regarding the pre-draft pick-only trading period, so if I had to guess, that's when it flipped. I made the correction.

The database is also updated with all of today's trades. No details on the conditions yet, but if people could post them here as they trickle out (if in fact they do trickle out), that would be great.

Thanks, TcFlint! Glad you've found the database helpful.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
ScoresFromCenter, here we go again, how many times does London get to trade Kgn's 2rd 2018? And we go full circle into the twilight zone, how'd they get it in the first place.

Sag now appears to have it in the Stephens deal.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I saw that, MisterDB! So weird. The OHL appears to have taken down the Jack Roslovic deal from their website. I don't understand how this is possible--perhaps London gave up his rights, and that negated their deal with Flint? It would be nice if they bothered to explain any of this to us fans... or at least reply to my emails with a polite "no comment".

Anyway, the Stephens trade is in the tracker.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks, rgr4life. No idea how that pick went from Saginaw to Peterborough, though the database has a bit of a blind spot regarding the pre-draft pick-only trading period, so if I had to guess, that's when it flipped. I made the correction.

The database is also updated with all of today's trades. No details on the conditions yet, but if people could post them here as they trickle out (if in fact they do trickle out), that would be great.

Thanks, TcFlint! Glad you've found the database helpful.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160908071415/http://ontariohockeyleague.com/media-notes/

April 8th 2016, Saginaw sent KIT 3 2017 and NB 2 2019 to Peterborough for KIT 2 2016.

I'll echo the sentiments that having this tool as something readable, and researched into by a number of people, is amazing. Thank you!

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, moose--you filled that blind spot admirably!

The rest of the trades are in. I'd like to thank Windsor and Kitchener for forcing me to add a new row to every team's tracker. *cough*

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
I swear Windsor is just yanking my chain at this point.

The trades are all in the database. With the trade freeze in place until April, I don't expect there will be much activity in this topic until then, but if anyone notices any errors or has any information on conditionals, please let me know and I'll update the database as needed. Feedback is always welcome, as well. If a mod is reading this and thinks it's worthwhile, I wouldn't mind a sticky for this topic so that it doesn't fall too far down the page.

Best of luck to everyone's teams over the rest of the season and in the playoffs!

the dog

May 16, 2014
I swear Windsor is just yanking my chain at this point.

The trades are all in the database. With the trade freeze in place until April, I don't expect there will be much activity in this topic until then, but if anyone notices any errors or has any information on conditionals, please let me know and I'll update the database as needed. Feedback is always welcome, as well. If a mod is reading this and thinks it's worthwhile, I wouldn't mind a sticky for this topic so that it doesn't fall too far down the page.

Best of luck to everyone's teams over the rest of the season and in the playoffs!
does icedogs still have sag 3rd rd pick in 2017...from jesse graham deal?

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Looks like that pick went back to Saginaw at some point, then to Guelph for C. J. Garcia, and finally to SSM in the Noah Carroll trade last week. So it's SSM's now, per the website.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looks like that pick went back to Saginaw at some point, then to Guelph for C. J. Garcia, and finally to SSM in the Noah Carroll trade last week. So it's SSM's now, per the website.

Thanks again. This will see a lot of use and it's nice to have something readable, accurate and up to date. You ever want to see a game in Flint, I got a couple tickets for ya.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Hey guys. With the season almost over, I'm planning on generating a draft order for the teams based on their order of finish in the regular season and the pick allocations contained in the database. In addition to getting the draft order out ahead of the OHL, this should provide a good way to check the database's accuracy going forward.

To do this, I need to check all of the 2017 conditional picks to see whether the conditions have been met. However, in many cases, the only information I have about a conditional pick is what trade it was included in. If anyone can provide insight about the conditions attached to the following picks, I'd appreciate it:

SBY 2nd 2017 - Sent by Mississauga to Flint as part of the Ryan McLeod trade (Sept. 2, 2015).
SSM 7th 2017 - Sent by SSM to Flint as part of the Bryce Yetman trade (Oct. 21, 2015).
MIS 7th 2017 - Sent by Mississauga to Kingston as part of the Spencer Watson trade (Nov. 3, 2016).
WSR 3rd 2017 - Sent by Barrie to London as part of Adrian Carbonara trade (Nov. 17, 2016). Per Eamon5, Barrie may have the option of swapping this pick for a 2021 3rd-rounder. Can any other Knights fans confirm this, or explain how this would work?

Thanks everyone, and see you at season's end!

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Hey guys. With the season almost over, I'm planning on generating a draft order for the teams based on their order of finish in the regular season and the pick allocations contained in the database. In addition to getting the draft order out ahead of the OHL, this should provide a good way to check the database's accuracy going forward.

To do this, I need to check all of the 2017 conditional picks to see whether the conditions have been met. However, in many cases, the only information I have about a conditional pick is what trade it was included in. If anyone can provide insight about the conditions attached to the following picks, I'd appreciate it:

SBY 2nd 2017 - Sent by Mississauga to Flint as part of the Ryan McLeod trade (Sept. 2, 2015).
SSM 7th 2017 - Sent by SSM to Flint as part of the Bryce Yetman trade (Oct. 21, 2015).
MIS 7th 2017 - Sent by Mississauga to Kingston as part of the Spencer Watson trade (Nov. 3, 2016).
WSR 3rd 2017 - Sent by Barrie to London as part of Adrian Carbonara trade (Nov. 17, 2016). Per Eamon5, Barrie may have the option of swapping this pick for a 2021 3rd-rounder. Can any other Knights fans confirm this, or explain how this would work?

Thanks everyone, and see you at season's end!

"The condition is if the Colts acquire a third-round pick later, the Knights will instead be given a third-round pick in 2021."

That is from the London Free Press Article announcing the trade. Not really sure what it means though. If Barrie acquires another 3rd in the 2017 draft, London gets the 3rd in 2021 instead? Seems backwards to me.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, GangGreen. That wording is pretty baffling to me. I suppose we can assume that if the Colts don't acquire a third before the draft, the Knights will keep that pick. Fingers crossed that that's what actually happens.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Wow, Erie and Windsor really mortgaged their futures... they could be in for some tough times ahead in the next few years as players graduate..

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Update: Since the OHL website rather unhelpfully only lists the last few dozen trades, I added a sheet with all of the trades so far this season to the database. This should be helpful for anyone wondering where their team got this pick or that pick from, or what happened to a particular pick they used to have.

I'm hoping to add 2015-2016 data as well, but that's going to take a lot more time as I only have complete data after Dec. 2, 2015. Will update if and when that happens.

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Wow, Erie and Windsor really mortgaged their futures... they could be in for some tough times ahead in the next few years as players graduate..

Win now ask questions later. Both teams have valuable assets they can trade away next year.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
2015-2016 trade data is in the database now. Likely missing a few trades here and there, and I had to guess on some of the picks, but it should be reasonably accurate.

Thanks, as always, to sfan's indispensable "Trades" topics.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
With the season over, I reviewed all of the 2017 conditional picks and picks which had 2017 conditions:

KIT 2nd 2020, KIT 2nd 2021, and KIT 2nd 2022 did not go to Barrie as Jacob Tortora did not play his first OHL game in the 2016-2017 season. However, KIT 2nd 2020, KIT 2nd 2021, and KIT 2nd 2022 will go to Barrie if Jacob Tortora plays his first OHL game in the 2017-2018 season. KIT 2nd 2021 and KIT 2nd 2022 will go to Barrie if Jacob Tortora plays his first OHL game in the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 seasons. Otherwise, the picks will return to Kitchener.

OS 7th 2017 did not go to Oshawa as Jacob Busch did not play an overage season in 2016-2017. The pick returns to Owen Sound.

SAR 2nd 2021 and SAR 2nd 2022 did not go to Ottawa as Travis Konecny did not play in the OHL in the 2016-2017 season. The picks return to Sarnia.

I also received confirmation of the following conversions:

SBY 2nd 2017 transferred from Mississauga to Flint.

MIS 7th 2017 transferred from Mississauga to Kingston.

SSM 7th 2017 transferred from Sault Ste. Marie to Flint.

We likely won't know until the pre-draft trading period opens up whether London's WSR 3rd will move.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad