Referee/Penalty Data?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Just curious if there's anyone out there (other than one project I know a while ago that tried analyzing game video directly - not sure what happened to it? Believe it was some SJS fans) who has tabulated referee and penalty data..

What I'm curious is regarding referees is number of playoff games, and then breakdown of type of playoff game (ie first round, conference finals, cup finals) plus total seasons in the league.

Regarding penalty data, I'm thinking a breakdown by referee in venue...
So for example how many minors does Referee A (or I guess the only way to really scrape it would be to go by Referee duo) - assign to the home team vs the away team in certain arenas.

It'd actually be interesting to see if certain pairs of referees have impacts on each other...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'd love to see this, also expanding the scope to the volume of penalties called in games refereed (if I were a coach, I'd love to know going into the game that Ref X calls 30% fewer penalties than league average), and the types of penalties called in games refereed.

(My guess is that teams - and therefore coaches - already know this information, because the teams track it themselves)

schuckers

Feb 21, 2013
I love Paul Stewart. With that said, he doesn't seem to be a fan of this:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Paul...atistics-to-Shut-Up-AKA-Ref-Ana8230/196/59952

He seems to be taking the "it wouldn't be perfect, so why bother?" approach.

So we did something on this and it showed that the refs were really consistent. Here's the paper: Referee Analytics. It is, of course, not perfect.

With some irony, it was one of the few pieces of analytics research discussed at the 2014 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So we did something on this and it showed that the refs were really consistent. Here's the paper: Referee Analytics. It is, of course, not perfect.

With some irony, it was one of the few pieces of analytics research discussed at the 2014 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Referee Analytics: An Analysis of Penalty Rates by National Hockey League Officials said:
"The home team has odds of an event being called a penalty that are 76% that of the visiting"
team
Wow, that home team advantage is more than I expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00